Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt!

This is a discussion on Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.policeone.com/K-9/article...n-crime-scene/ The dog was running after the suspect when Murfreesboro Firefighter Lance Sutton appeared on the scene after a witness to the burglary called his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt!

http://www.policeone.com/K-9/article...n-crime-scene/

The dog was running after the suspect when Murfreesboro Firefighter Lance Sutton appeared on the scene after a witness to the burglary called his firehouse.

Sutton needed hospital treatment for serious bite wounds in the incident.
    Now the FF may be in trouble:

http://www.dnj.com/article/20110204/NEWS01/102040315
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Ouch.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If your gonna be dumb ya best be tough !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Got to love a K-9 named Diesel. I'm willing to bet the FF didn't notice the dog till it bit him in the chaps.

The dog did a good job , and that was his job. Uh, if the police are in pursuit (not in trouble or in need of help) and especially if there is a police dog present.... it's best to be behind closed doors and watching thru the window (at the minimum). I don't know why he would jump into it unless he never saw the police and didn't realize they were there, and just wanted to catch the burglar (tunnel vision).

I can say, I have been around a lot of police dogs and I sure don't ever want to be attacked by one of them. Dang, I bet that hurt a LOT.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Two facts here...
    He's going to need a bandaid, and it's going to leave a mark.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good job by the dog.

VIP Member
    I'll be he doesn't do that again!

While he might have had his heart in the right place, his head was definitely somewhere else. No way am I going to try to chase down a burglar who is leaving the scene. You have no way of knowing if he's armed. Good way to wind up a dead hero.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Evans said officers were grateful for Sutton's efforts, as it "appears he was trying to be a Good Samaritan and help catch a burglary suspect.

From article;;

"However, we advise the public in cases like this that it is best to let us do our jobs in apprehending the suspects," Evans said. "We have the training and the tools, in this case the K-9, to make that arrest as safely as possible. Make no mistake that these dogs are tools — they are not nice."
    The police spokesman also advised that any witnesses to a crime in progress should immediately call 911. A witness in this case called the nearby Murfreesboro fire station instead.

AND;

The incident that led to the investigation began when a neighbor noticed a burglar breaking into a Runnymeade Drive home a bit after noon Wednesday and called a nearby Murfreesboro Fire station as a result. Sutton went to the home and chased a burglar to White Cloud Trail.
    AND;

As the K-9 was running toward the burglar, an unidentified person (later identified as Sutton) came running out from between two houses toward the officer and dog at what appeared to be a full sprint,” Evans said. “The dog, which is trained to respond to the greatest threat, honed in on (Sutton).”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to what I glean from the article, the FF interupted the Perp, perp takes off running from one residence, and is between, houses when K9 unit sees him, and turns dog loose.
    Then FF appears on the scene and dog attacks him.

FF obviously didn't know the police were there @ the scene.
    He was at the wrong place at the right time.

It definitely is a procedural matter that is in need of updating.

FF's need to give the matter over to the police,.
    I don't think he should be punished or reprimanded though.
    All concerned had the best intentions at heart.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

" I don't think he should be punished or reprimanded though".

Oh he has been punished already. Believe me those puppies can put a real hurt on you. Upside we know the K-9 is up to date on his shots
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I'll bet the FF will rethink his actions next time. Apprehending fleeing felons is just not in the FF's job description, no matter how pure is intentions were.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hate to say this, but the word "negligence" is appropriately applied here to those in control of the police dog.

Its the same principle as everyone being responsible for where their bullets land.

Let a dog loose to attack and he gets the wrong target---- pretty simple. Dog's owner is responsible. What would you all be saying if a kid got into the scene and killed?

VIP Member
    Not sure about this one. There was a time when I would jump to help out someone in need but I no longer subscribe to the Good Samaritan vernacular. Seems that everyone is looking for a free ride on the backs of people trying to make a difference. This story all sounds well intended but more times than not, it backfires.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I can't fault a young emergency professional use to helping people for jumping in to try an help, but it was outside his area of expertise.

You make your bet and play your hand, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Re the K9, I am not that familiar with them so I don't know if they can distinguish an adult threat from a child. If it were in fact a child I suspect that the handler would have "outed" the dog immediately rather than leave it to "chew" while he chased the other suspect.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hate to say this, but the word "negligence" is appropriately applied here to those in control of the police dog.

Its the same principle as everyone being responsible for where their bullets land.

Let a dog loose to attack and he gets the wrong target---- pretty simple. Dog's owner is responsible. What would you all be saying if a kid got into the scene and killed?
    So far I have not been able to find one instance of a police K-9 killing a child or an adult for that matter and I hope that is the case. If someone could show negligence on the part of the K-9 handler I suppose there could be a law suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links