Got woke up last night by my dogs.

This is a discussion on Got woke up last night by my dogs. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The dog always knows and it's never a false alarm..............even if we can't hear or see anything. Always Check.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got woke up last night by my dogs.

The dog always knows and it's never a false alarm..............even if we can't hear or see anything.
    Always Check..........

2. Remove Ads

Wandering outside in your underwear and holding a gun is a recipe for bad Juju. Stay inside. Call 911 and let them clear your yard. As another posted, don't go looking for trouble.

Locking the doors on your vehicles is a good idea. I'd bet you a pay check the culprits were some local yoots just looking for easy dope/booze money, firearms, and other stuff left in someone's car. They most likely wouldn't have smashed your windows on the off-chance of alerting the cops. If you check with the other neighbors, you may find these guys were hitting the entire neighborhood for an easy score just by rattling door knobs and such. It's happened in my neighborhood. Some people who like to leave their garage doors open found their bag of Titleist clubs and their fancy bikes were missing a few months ago.

Also, if you have a garage, for Pete's sake use it. Out where I live, I see many people with a garage full of Christmas ornamanets, old clothes, and plastic kiddie toys, while $60,000 worth of automobiles sit rotting in the driveway. I guess it's a Southern thing.

I agree with the underwear part. Always get those pants on.

ETA: I just read your post again and didn't see where you were outside in your underwear, alafan. Not sure where that statement came from.

Problem is my big dumb dog has a tendency to bark at deer in the yard as well as BGs.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I agree with the underwear part. Always get those pants on.

ETA: I just read your post again and didn't see where you were outside in your underwear, alafan. Not sure where that statement came from.
    I was taking some literary license with the scenario. He mentioned he was woken by his dogs, got up, picked up his gun and went outside around 2:30 am. Since he didn't mention getting dressed, I took some liberties with my interpretation. Perhaps he did get dressed. Perhaps he wears silk pajamas and slipped on a nice Brooks Brothers robe. For all I know, he sleeps in a 3-piece suit. You guys - always so literal.

However, dressed or not, I'm not going out to clear my yard in the middle of the night. If I had dogs that alerted on something, I would light up the yard from inside the house. If I suspected nefarious actions afoot, I would call the police and let them clear the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    However, dressed or not, I'm not going out to clear my yard in the middle of the night. If I had dogs that alerted on something, I would light up the yard from inside the house. If I suspected nefarious actions afoot, I would call the police and let them clear the yard.
    That's my stance too... I flip the flood lights, but I am not wandering outside to an ambush or confrontation if I really think there may be someone out there. If a barking dog and flood lights don't flush someone out, then they are probably here for a confrontation. Also wandering outside with the gun is just advertising that there are more in the house for when they come back later.. while you are at work.

Just my take.. i know everyone has their own mindset on these things.
    Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I was taking some literary license with the scenario. He mentioned he was woken by his dogs, got up, picked up his gun and went outside around 2:30 am. Since he didn't mention getting dressed, I took some liberties with my interpretation. Perhaps he did get dressed. Perhaps he wears silk pajamas and slipped on a nice Brooks Brothers robe. For all I know, he sleeps in a 3-piece suit. You guys - always so literal.

Or maybe he sleeps with his pants on, complete with tactical boots to slide into when his feet hit the floor and tactical belt draped over the bedroom doorknob to grab on his way. How's that for literary license? lol

I know this forum has been down this rode before. There are some here who would investigate a noise in the country night and some here who say we would be wandering around outside. It's funny how the word "clear" is used if someone agrees with your actions, and the word "wander" is used if they don't. Not that I wouldn't call 911 if I thought I needed to.

Everyones situation is different. I have to go out because it may be a bear or fisher cat trying to get the turkeys or , worse yet, trying to get into one of the cars! My dog will sound off at all animals be they human, deer, moose, bear or owl. She will go out but has learned to stay back a bit and just bark. All the same you have to have a good flash or spot light because you can not make a decent shot at night with out one.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    When you live in the country, you can't go around calling 911 for every little disturbance. (You have to be sure of an emergency 1st.)

Getting motion lights was a good idea. Getting a bigger dog that can handle a mangy coyote is a GREAT idea!

I always take at least one of my APBTs outside with me to check any disturbances. 99 times out of 100 it's nothing major. But, my dog did flush out a prowler hiding in the woods (out of sight), one night a couple of years ago.

I'm always torn whether I would let my dogs out or not when these topics come up. I don't need them bull rushing a coon or coyote before I can get a shot off. Or chasing a cat into the next county either. Let alone if it's a skunk outside. I realize that kind of goes against the reasoning of owning them, but my dogs are there to alert and I'm there to take care of the problem. At least that's the way my thinking leans. There have been times I've thought of turning them loose to run off a stray, but me stepping outside worked just as well.

I agree with the two posts above.

There is a considerable difference between town and the country. When I lived out of town (woods/mountains), if the dogs went nuts I would go out with them, with a rifle and a light, in addition to barn and area lights. It was often forty-five minutes to an hour for the Sheriff's deps to respond. I had horses, a couple beeves and pigs. If the dogs got upset, it could be anything from a skunk to a griz poking around, so I would not send the dogs out alone.

The area was considered unhealthy for prowlers an burglars, etc and I don't recall ever hearing of any such activity near where I lived.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good you got the dogs treats.. for a good job done. Always listen to your dog. One of mine is a tracking dog and protective.... so , if I tell her to 'find it' ... she will not only find them, but if they run.... she will track them down. LOL. That is, if she hasn't nailed them to the ground first.

Around cars, in cars, all good places to check... any potential places of concealment, or like me ... I let the dog find them and I"m the back up.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    Everyones situation is different. I have to go out because it may be a bear or fisher cat trying to get the turkeys or , worse yet, trying to get into one of the cars! My dog will sound off at all animals be they human, deer, moose, bear or owl. She will go out but has learned to stay back a bit and just bark. All the same you have to have a good flash or spot light because you can not make a decent shot at night with out one.
    I agree. Major differences city vs. country. Then again, most people who live in the country have the kind of dogs that can be sent out after something.

I have chickens and I ran out and saved them from a raccoon once, so I'm a bonified member of the "scantily clad gun/flashlight toting chicken owner" club.
    I have motion lights near the house, so if they are OFF and I can't see anyone through the door/window I will I let the dogs out and watch through the window to see where they point at.
    They HAVE flushed out a hiding prowler before, but I wanna know it's human before I go callin 911. I don't need or want the cops permission to shoot raccoons.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm always torn whether I would let my dogs out or not when these topics come up. I don't need them bull rushing a coon or coyote before I can get a shot off. Or chasing a cat into the next county either. Let alone if it's a skunk outside. I realize that kind of goes against the reasoning of owning them, but my dogs are there to alert and I'm there to take care of the problem. At least that's the way my thinking leans. There have been times I've thought of turning them loose to run off a stray, but me stepping outside worked just as well.
    I usually go out with my dog. But, I will turn him loose if I feel there is a legitimate threat. I don't know about other dogs, but mine definitely take their "alert" to a much higher level when it's a "two-legged" critter. (I can tell if it's a "human" threat almost instantly; just by the way my dog responds.)

@Tala; "Quit talkin' dirty this is a family forum!"

Just got a drive way. No where to park the cars in side. And i did take time to put on some sweat pants that i keep by the bed. It was about 30 degrees out side or i would have been in my boxers lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links