Got woke up last night by my dogs.

This is a discussion on Got woke up last night by my dogs. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 2:30 am my dog starts barking like the world was coming to the end. So i get up with my .38 and look around. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

About 2:30 am my dog starts barking like the world was coming to the end. So i get up with my .38 and look around. Nothing seen wrong.
    About 15 minutes later same thing. This time i grab my pt145 and my light and go out side.I live in the country so 99.9% of the time its a stray dog. Still nothing.
    This morning my wife and me get ready for work. When she gets in her Jeep i see a funny look come over face. Someone had been in her car and had had made a mess. Papers out of the gloveboxand everything.
    Never crossed my mind to look inside our cars. I know that was stupid on my part.

Lesson learned never leave your car unlocked and always trust your dog.

Man that sucks, that guy could have been hiding in the vehicle when you went outside.

Also, do not go outside looking for trouble.....it might find you.

Would it have been possible to let the dogs out and see if they flush anyone (or anything) out? I stayed with my mother while my father was out of town for the week. They have a couple of acres in a small town area in south Texas. My parents' dog would sometime get spooked, and if I thought it was something other then a possum, I would let the dog out, following behind armed, with a nice, bright flashlight. I would sweep the area with the light, urging the dog to lead me to what he saw. I felt a lot more prepared to handle a possible situation with an extra set of eyes out there with me.

Went to town talked to the LEO made a report. Made a trip to Lowes got some motion lights and went by Pet Depot and got my dogs a traet for a good job. Looking back i should have done several things i didnt like send the dogs out first. But if a stray would have got a hold of them [ thay are little dogs] my wife would have killed me. lol

Well you need to add a couple of bigger dogs to the pack!

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    Went to town talked to the LEO made a report. Made a trip to Lowes got some motion lights and went by Pet Depot and got my dogs a traet for a good job. Looking back i should have done several things i didnt like send the dogs out first. But if a stray would have got a hold of them [ thay are little dogs] my wife would have killed me. lol
    Lol, yea you dont wanta get the wife upset.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

Dogs seem to always know whats going on. I've heard mine bark and just dismissed it as nothing, and same thing- cars broken into in the morning. Live and learn, I guess. I think the motion lights are a good move, and so is keeping your vehicles locked.

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    But if a stray would have got a hold of them [ thay are little dogs] my wife would have killed me. lol
    You need a new wife, one that likes *real* dogs.

If mine bark for "no reason" I make them go out. If I can't figure out why they are barking from looking through the windows, out they go.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My lab/rottie mix knows what to do when I tell him to "patrol".. Never underestimate a good big dog. Also.. I don't agree with wandering outside at night to clear the yard... Stay inside and keep the family safe and let the thieves have the things that are replaceable if it comes to it.

Stay safe!!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    honestly, looking your doors may not be the best thing. If that person wanted in bad enough they would have just broken in. Which is going to cost you money.

Do you have a garage? I find it odd how many people have their garage full of crap when they could be using it to park in.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    honestly, looking your doors may not be the best thing. If that person wanted in bad enough they would have just broken in. Which is going to cost you money.
    That's my policy. Based on personal experience. I'd rather replace the radio than the windows.
    However I HAVE had an EX-friend bust my windows just to piss me off. If you install it yourself, you can get a new one for my truck for about $30.

If you have a garage, using it would be a good idea. Me personally, I'd need a SERIOUS vehicle upgrade before I could justify building a garage to keep it in Of course if you had a garage, it wouldn't be as much of a PITA to have a busted window either.......meh
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

The motion lights are a good idea. I recently installed one on my porch when I realized that the nearby area light did not overcome the inside lights enough to see outside.
    That sucks about your car getting ransacked. The barking dog probably ran him off before you even got outside.

Love Dogs big or little they do thier JOB as yours did, they were wondering why you did not find the BG I am sure they knew where he was haha

There's a driveway motion sensor in Sportsmans Guide(the reporter)thats very reliable. Have both sensors intersect the front of your garage/parking area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links