Make My Day - What do you think about this phrase?

This is a discussion on Make My Day - What do you think about this phrase? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread (News Interview of Denver DA Re: Home Defense Shooting - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=119271 ), there was a discussion about a person who was cleared ...

View Poll Results: I think the phrase "Make My Day" is:

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Negative - it reflects badly on people using self-defense.

73 67.59%
  • Positive - it empowers people to defend themselves.

6 5.56%
  • Neutral - it doesn't have any connotation one way or another.

29 26.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Make My Day - What do you think about this phrase?

In another thread (News Interview of Denver DA Re: Home Defense Shooting - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=119271), there was a discussion about a person who was cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting death of a 17-year old who had broken into the person's home. The news story quoted in the topic was headlined "Make My Day Shooter: ‘I Did The Right Thing’". While the official name for the law is "Castle Doctrine", the media has chosen more often than not to refer to the law as the "Make My Day" law.

I was having a discussion with my wife and daughter about the phrase "make my day" and both my wife and daughter do not see anything negative about the phrase. I should point out that both of them identify as Democrat and liberal, but both are pro-gun. My wife says that when she hears the phrase "make my day" it means that people are tired of being victimized and that they are going to protect themselves within the law. My opinion is that "make my day" conjures up images of Dirty Harry and vigilante-like justice. I feel that the media is using the name to paint homeowners and justified shooters with a broad brush accusing them of just waiting for an opportunity to shoot someone.

I'd like to ask the forum members for their opinions about the phrase "make my day".
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

As a combat veteran, I can say that being in a gunfight, and shooting at people, is not going to "make my day" anything but worse. Sure, I will be alive at the end of it, but a lethal confrontation is not something I look forward to, or relish the thought of, or something that is going to improve my day in any way, shape, or form.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I suppose it has negative connotation but it's been called the "Make My Day Law" in Colorado for a very long time. It's nothing I'm getting worked up over. In truth I rather like it.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    If you've ever gone trolling, the phrase makes perfect sense.

VIP Member
    I personally find it offensive. I'm not Dirty Harry, nor does the thought of using my gun to defend myself "make my day". The phrase was put out by the anti-gun media. Although it is referred to by that name in CO, there is nothing in the law referring to it in those terms. Oklahoma has a similar law on the books, that is wrongfully called a Make My Day Law, when in fact it is DEFENSE OF PERSON - RIGHT TO STAND YOUR GROUND.
    Old School likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As a combat veteran, I can say that being in a gunfight, and shooting at people, is not going to "make my day" anything but worse. Sure, I will be alive at the end of it, but a lethal confrontation is not something I look forward to, or relish the thought of, or something that is going to improve my day in any way, shape, or form.
    ^^^ This

If anyone is really waiting for the opportunity to inflict bodily harm to another being they are mentally unstable. Even in combat, the very last thing I wanted was contact. Any sane person would be the same.....
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

You can "Make My Day" by letting me get through it peacefully and make it home to my family who also made it through the day the same way.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A movie line, and a line over-used by lazy illiterate and ignorant journalists. I am sorry, I repeat myself.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I personally find it offensive. I'm not Dirty Harry, nor does the thought of using my gun to defend myself "make my day". The phrase was put out by the anti-gun media. Although it is referred to by that name in CO, there is nothing in the law referring to it in those terms. Oklahoma has a similar law on the books, that is wrongfully called a Make My Day Law, when in fact it is DEFENSE OF PERSON - RIGHT TO STAND YOUR GROUND.
    Actually most everyone I know in Colorado refers to it as the Make My Day Law. Maybe I should get the word out that we are offending the sensibilities of some outside the state so that we might come up with something a bit more PC to call it. RIGHT TO STAND YOUR GROUND LAW has a nice ring to it. Very 21st Century. What can I say, we're a bit crude out here in the west sometimes.

To me, it's a movie line. It doesn't mean anything to me one way or another. I would not personally use it for any purpose.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Personally, I have no intention of ever using that phrase as it sounds like just asking for trouble if I need pull the trigger in self defense. Just imagine what some glory hound DA or ambulance chasing lawyer could do with it: "Two years ago, you referred to slaughtering some poor, hapless, oppressed individual as making your day..."

No, I don't think I want to go there.

It sounds bad. You're basically saying it would make your day if you had to shoot someone.

Glock Barrels
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Personally, unless you're Clint Eastwood playing Dirty Harry, I think it's a stupid and ridiculous phrase for anyone to use regarding a self defense or any kind of fight situation. But that's just my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would say somewhere between neutral and negative. It does kind of throw around the connotation that shooting someone would "make my day", though in reality, my day would officially suck. I definitely prefer the castle doctrine, as a man's home is indeed his castle. Castle doctrine only refers to your home and in some states extensions to your home like your car. I don't know what wording I would use but I think the "make my day" laws basically say you are not obligated to back down/retreat. Maybe call it a "stand your ground" law?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

"...a rose is a rose, is a rose"
    Simple nomenclature...
    I couldn't care less what The Castle Doctrine is called as I just want to be able to protect my family and not have to pay some dirtbag's attorney for doing so...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links