To peep or not to peep? - Page 2

To peep or not to peep?

This is a discussion on To peep or not to peep? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP, you sound like my wife. She wakes up if a leaf falls on the roof. Me? I'd never wake up for an outside motion ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To peep or not to peep?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, you sound like my wife. She wakes up if a leaf falls on the roof. Me? I'd never wake up for an outside motion detector turning on--cause I'm asleep, with my eyes closed!

I'll have to look for the vibration detectors. Never noticed them at the local HF. Other than the alarm system, which is more for when I not home, if I wanted to live in a fortress, I'd built a castle, complete with moat filled with gators.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    A quick call to 911 would be ideal,.
    Based on personal experience in my city "a quick call to 911" means a fat female officer might show up in 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Other than peek what's the other option ? Shivering in the bed out of fear with the covers pulled up over your head....
    If it bothers you than go see what it is.........just prepair yourself for whatever.
    Hiding under the covers waiting for the scary stuff to stop is not an answer.........BOOoooooo.
    This made me think of the classic Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner. He's on the plane and there is a creature on the wing, tearing up the engine cover. He pulls down the window shade, and sits there for a while. Finally curiosity gets the best of him and he has to peek. He opens the shade and is staring straight into the face of the creature!

That's what I would be afraid of if I peeked!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    They are great. We had two incidents within a mile of here or less in which someone was caught trying to break in through the windows at the rear of a house. In both instances the homeowner was at home and became aware that someone was trying to remove the window screens. Anything that gets you an extra heads up to someone at the rear of your home messing with your windows can give you the few seconds needed to reach a gun and get to a phone.
    I have (near) floor to ceiling double hung windows all around my first floor. They have all of those smaller panes of glass in them, I am not sure what that style is called. Do you think the sensor would go off if a small pane 4ft away (from where I place the sensor) was broken?
    Someone here had turned me onto some protective films that I could put on my windows to slow down a break in but I do not think they would work well in my situation. This DOES sound right for me. Any input would be appreciated as I do not feel that I can really secure my home very well with all the windows.
    Are the sensors adjustable?
    I have 14 windows like these on the first floor.

Sled

I just send the wife out to check it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Classic episode, Ted.
    And now you've got me afraid to peek out the windows... lol

Do what works for you and/or the situation dictates...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzep01 View Post
    I have (near) floor to ceiling double hung windows all around my first floor. They have all of those smaller panes of glass in them, I am not sure what that style is called. Do you think the sensor would go off if a small pane 4ft away (from where I place the sensor) was broken?
    Someone here had turned me onto some protective films that I could put on my windows to slow down a break in but I do not think they would work well in my situation. This DOES sound right for me. Any input would be appreciated as I do not feel that I can really secure my home very well with all the windows.
    Are the sensors adjustable?
    I have 14 windows like these on the first floor.

Sled
    My windows look just like that. However, mine are double pane and basically just two sheets of glass with plastic dividers inside between the panes to give the look you are showing. I do think that the detectors I mentioned would be sensitive enough for your application but the only way to find out is buy one or two, put them on and tap the window glass further away from the sensors.

I have one sensor on each set of windows, on the lower panel, but if you touch the upper panel the sensor will go off. To test this I tapped the window with about the same force as if I was typing on my computer keyboard; not much really. It actually amazes me that they don't give false alerts.

One downside, they operate on 3 watch batteries each. I think they are called L30s, but that is from memory. The batteries cost more than the detector if you buy them separately at retail. Since I have 15 windows and sensors, I will eventually need 45 watch batteries. They run around 20-30 cents each if bought in bulk on line. Two-three bucks each if bought at full retail. Since they don't drain unless the sensor goes off, they should last quite some time.

Added later--

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...tion+detectors

Vibration Alarm Two Pack
    Item #95054
    Only:$4.99

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My windows look just like that. However, mine are double pane and basically just two sheets of glass with plastic dividers inside between the panes to give the look you are showing. I do think that the detectors I mentioned would be sensitive enough for your application but the only way to find out is buy one or two, put them on and tap the window glass further away from the sensors.

I have one sensor on each set of windows, on the lower panel, but if you touch the upper panel the sensor will go off. To test this I tapped the window with about the same force as if I was typing on my computer keyboard; not much really. It actually amazes me that they don't give false alerts.

One downside, they operate on 3 watch batteries each. I think they are called L30s, but that is from memory. The batteries cost more than the detector if you buy them separately at retail. Since I have 15 windows and sensors, I will eventually need 45 watch batteries. They run around 20-30 cents each if bought in bulk on line. Two-three bucks each if bought at full retail. Since they don't drain unless the sensor goes off, they should last quite some time.

Added later--

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...tion+detectors

Vibration Alarm Two Pack
    Item #95054
    Only:$4.99
    Thank you

Sled

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    HELL NO!!!!!!! if you peek out the blinds the sniper will get you for sure.

Really dude?

If your lights come on and you want to know why then look out the window. Are you really that paranoid?
    No need to act like a Jackwagon.

Now back to the OP, mine go off all the time but I have good security system so I usually don't jump out of the bed. The Glock two feet away on the nightstand is also a comforting feeling.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I'd just fire off the claymores I have around the house.

Heck yeah I'd peek - just don't get caught by her!

Seriously, +1 look out discreetly w/ LIGHTS OFF - maybe even from a different room, if possible.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I say peep. If it goes bump, you go bang!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I just send the wife out to check it!
    Ha you too? When I sense trouble I send the old lady first for cover.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links