To peep or not to peep?

To peep or not to peep?

This is a discussion on To peep or not to peep? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK So another thread and some recent midnight wondering have me posing this question. I will start by saying I have a one story house ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To peep or not to peep?

To peep or not to peep?

OK So another thread and some recent midnight wondering have me posing this question. I will start by saying I have a one story house and all the bedrooms are on one side. I also have an alarm system, although it is admittedly not the best on the market. It is more for when I am away from home and the weekly "test" with the loud siren as a deterrent. I also have outdoor motion lights.

Here is my question. every once in a while I will wake up because the motion lights in my back yard have activated. They are directly outside my bedroom and I am a light sleeper. I lay in the bed and listen (my hearing is bad, bad enough I have hearing aids although I dont wear them all the time). I also watch for shadows on my blinds.

If I was to suspect something, aside from calling 911, should I peek out of the blinds?

99 percent of the time I am pretty sure it is a cat. I have fenced in yards and there is only a storm ditch behind my house. I would say the dogs that sometimes roam, but I have a fence and I dont think they are wandering around testing their jumping skills. I would add a dog or 4 to my layering of home protection, but I rent and unfortunately they are not allowed.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

I always peek and it's always been a rabbit, cat, possum or raccoon. Crazy thing is I live in the city!

If the motion lights are on outside and you leave the room you are in dark, I don't see a problem with peeking outside.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    peek away. just keep the lights off

HELL NO!!!!!!! if you peek out the blinds the sniper will get you for sure.

Really dude?

If your lights come on and you want to know why then look out the window. Are you really that paranoid?

Yea I would peek, dont pull the blind all the way up are anything lol, just cutting up. If I ever need to look out the blinds I take my finger and lift one of the fins on the blind just a hair so I can see whats going on.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

Other than peek what's the other option ? Shivering in the bed out of fear with the covers pulled up over your head....
    If it bothers you than go see what it is.........just prepair yourself for whatever.
    Hiding under the covers waiting for the scary stuff to stop is not an answer.........BOOoooooo.

Keep lights off inside, peek through the curtains or blinds, keep pistola in hand.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That's the downside to motion activated lights outside a bedroom window. We have them, but don't use them because they pop on and off for cats and birds and reasons of their own, and then I feel compelled to investigate, or sit awake with gun nearby listening. DO NOT EVER OPEN A DOOR TO GO LOOK. You are always safer inside prepared, than investigating the unknown outside.

I put vibration sensors on all the windows in my home. You can get them at Harbour Freight 2, for 5 bucks, less when they are on sale or you have a coupon. They seem to be wonderful. Mine have never ever given a false alert. They stay glued to the glass, and it really doesn't take much to set them off, just a light tap, but the wind has never done it.
    My house has lots of windows, and all 15 have vibration sensors on them. Because these detectors are inexpensive, I am thinking of adding another set.

I don't want to sound like a stock holder in Harbour Freight, I'm not, and I have no financial interest in the company, but they have some pretty good stuff at really good prices.

So basically, I rely on the vibration-glass break detectors to let me know if someone puts a hand on the window.

You can also use Harbour Freight's driveway alarms as an adjunct to your motion detecting lights but these will sometimes give bogus alerts. About two weeks ago one of the two inside my garage went off. Fortunately it was at 6:40 A.M. and I would have gotten up at 7 anyway. If it had occurred at 3 A.M. it would have given me quite a scare and disturbed my sleep. As it was, I woke up, noticed the dog didn't seem to care, checked the security cameras which pretty much give complete views of the garage, and went about my routine morning.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'd say absolutely peek. Don't use any flashlights, cellphones or turn any lights on if you can avoid it, like aforementioned.

I suppose I can see where NOT peeking could be bad. I'd much rather peek and be nothing, than not peek and have a BG lurking or about to try to gain entry.

Hopyard-never heard of a window vibration sensor. Great idea!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Sarcasm is obviously alive and well.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    HELL NO!!!!!!! if you peek out the blinds the sniper will get you for sure.

Really dude?

If your lights come on and you want to know why then look out the window. Are you really that paranoid?
    I was and am a bit less than last week and that was a bit less than the week before. I am still dealing with hyper vigilance from an incident that occurred right before Christmas. While I am not "shivering in bed out of fear" I had been straining to listen even more. I suppose I just didnt want to force a confrontation. If I see a BG I have to deal with it. A quick call to 911 would be ideal, but what if he notices and then decides he wants in? I dont have anything outside worth putting my family in jeopardy. I appreciate the input and will put my "big boy pants" back on.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post

Hopyard-never heard of a window vibration sensor. Great idea!
    They are great. We had two incidents within a mile of here or less in which someone was caught trying to break in through the windows at the rear of a house. In both instances the homeowner was at home and became aware that someone was trying to remove the window screens. Anything that gets you an extra heads up to someone at the rear of your home messing with your windows can give you the few seconds needed to reach a gun and get to a phone.

I got rid of our motion sensor lights for that reason alone. There would be a raccoon or o'possum and I'd have to get up and do my security patrol almost every night. I sleep much better without them. I now have a switch wired in my bedroom that I can turn on, and it turns on flood lights all around my house - front, back, and sides. I live in town limits on a small lot, so this has worked well for us. It's not as effective when you're not home, but our lives are what is precious, not our stuff.

VIP Member
    I have the motion detectors, but I really don't pay much attention to them. Their purpose is to freak out the dirt-bag, not me. My philosophy is that I don't sweat it until someone attempts to enter my home. Then they are mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links