Car Jacking in progress at home

This is a discussion on Car Jacking in progress at home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As has been discussed before, Texas law permits use of deadly force to prevent imminent loss of property. I faced almost the exact circumstances described ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Jacking in progress at home

As has been discussed before, Texas law permits use of deadly force to prevent imminent loss of property. I faced almost the exact circumstances described in the scenario when I lived in an apartment in Houston. I stepped onto my balcony and said "Excuse me!" in a loud voice to the young man who was opening my car door down below. I was pointing my Colt Trooper .357 at him at the time. He took off running, so there was no need to shoot. If he had continued, and attempted to start my vehicle, I would have fired to stop him.

I reported this to Houston PD and the officer who took my statement told me I had acted properly, and would have been justified in shooting, in the circumstances I described.

I'd approach an attempted car theft in my current driveway in a similar fashion (without going much into detail). I would not allow a thief to drive away with my car, then hope the police find it later. I'd rather shoot my own vehicle.

Ours is not a good neighborhood to attempt this sort of thing. We watch out for each other and take note of strange comings and goings. Lots of veterans around here, so we tend to be similarly prepared.

Under no circumstances do I advocate doing that which is outside the law, of this state or any other. It's critical to be aware of the laws in your state and locality.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Shoot a guy who's stealing your car and some states will send you to jail for a very long time while others will give you a pat on the back and send you home. The ONLY useful answer to this question is that you MUST take the time to learn the laws in the state where you live!

Administrator

Talking

I think the Texas Law must be somehow connected to the earlier Thief Laws in the Lone Star State of days gone by.

Texans historically have not had too very much tolerance for
    low down horse thieving cattle rustling lazy no good dirty rotten snakes in the grass.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I generally drive beaters, and my current example is pretty bad, even for me--Cost $650 2 years and 50,000 miles ago, before my daughter slid it into a parked truck. Makes the decision fairly simple--If I shoot, the cops will take my gun, which will be harder to replace than the car. Taking that car is probably doing me a favor, will force me to get off my butt and buy a replacement.

If we're lucky, the BG will try to use it as a getaway car--It has to be coaxed to go fast, if you try to force it, you'll get outrun by mopeds...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I think the Texas Law must be somehow connected to the earlier Thief Laws in the Lone Star State of days gone by.
    low down horse thieving cattle rustling lazy no good dirty rotten snakes in the grass.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

a guy here in Amarillo was cleared recently of any wrongdoing for a scenario just like this original post situation
    me personally, I would rack the mossberg as loud as possible as i was stepping out the front door, hopefully that would cause them to tuck their tail between the legs and run if not then I have a good corner vantage point to see my driveway and tac light em while shouting some choice words
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...949#post158949

quote RSSZ
    If someone shoots a BG(?) for breaking into their vech in the middle of the night,IMO,in any state,they are goin' to jail.
    Fire no shots,in the air or otherwise. Also (check your local laws)just the fact that you pointed a firearm at them could be grounds for the LEO's to arrest you.

I don't know about other state's laws, but not that way here in Texas

best advice anyone can give about anything on this forum.....check out your own state and local laws regarding any topics/situations here
    Last edited by 64zebra; July 17th, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

Anyone who has spent much time in Texas and is observant notices a preoccupation some here have with their "wheels". Having lived in several different places before Texas, I would use the phrase "car conscious" <with a hint of sarcasm...>. I have concluded, as a sociologist and psychologist <laughter....> this results from a genetic mutation caused by living in Texas.

I think it really and truly harks back to the old west, and a cowboys' preoccupation with his horse - its quality, training, and the fact they spent so much darn time together. Steal a mans horse - you be a hangin' pretty soon...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Anyone who has spent much time in Texas and is observant notices a preoccupation some here have with their "wheels". Having lived in several different places before Texas, I would use the phrase "car conscious" <with a hint of sarcasm...>. I have concluded, as a sociologist and psychologist <laughter....> this results from a genetic mutation caused by living in Texas.

I think it really and truly harks back to the old west, and a cowboys' preoccupation with his horse - its quality, training, and the fact they spent so much darn time together. Steal a mans horse - you be a hangin' pretty soon...
    ......that and anybody that wants to steal my property that I've worked my butt off for...deserves to get shot....scumbags
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Lead Moderator
    While someone stealing your ride is bound to make you mad, better to be safe an beable to buy a replacement vehicle, than risk getting shot or injured over property.
    I would call 911, than shout from the house that Ihave called.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by calireserve
    If I was in this situation and someone was breaking into my car I would call 911 and let the COPS handle it. The last thing I would do is go out of my house and try to be a hero. Why escalate this situation to a possible DEADLY force encounter by going out into an unknown situation. A car is just an object that can be replaced!
    However if the burgalars try to come in my house they are eating lead!!!!
    +1

OH is one of those states where it's a no-no to protect property.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Good discussion by all.

I'd call 911, grab the shotgun, exit the house from the rear and come up along the side of the house for cover and verbally confront .. letting them hear me pump a round into the 870.

What happens from there is up to them.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

have you ever tried to walk anywhere in texas?

born and raised there i can tell ya it ain't no fun .

now living paycheck to the next like most folks it would be more than inconvenient to have something of value first stolen by the BG then devalued by the socalled good guy insurance . it would be devestating to a one vehicle family dependant on it for job transport . so i take it as a personal attack on me and mine . as most folks do where i'm from .

the prob now lies that being in a neighboring state , that doesn't allow that use of force , i have to curb my raising . i have been told at a meeting by our DA that one could hold said perps till the law arrived . and say they accomplished the starting of your vehicle it is now concidered a deadly weapon . he also said you could not lie in wait for them either . say hiding in the garage or hedgerow .

i take it personally that someone would steal from my family .
    elance

Call 911 and stay in the house with my 870 in hand. But remember, I'm in Oh, not Texas! That's about all we can do here.
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    This brings back memories of my teen years . my father kept getting the raidio stole in his pick up.So he wired a light to come off and on automaticly in his bedroom if some one was in the vacinaty of his truck.one night he woke me up and said his truck was being broken into he went out the back with a 270 dear rifal and i went out the slider on the side with the shottie .My father caught the guy lieing upside down in the floor of the truck tyrying to get his fingers loose frome some fish hooks my fathere had atatched to the wiring of the new stero he had instaled a week before. he slid the 270 under the dash and told the thief not to move i called the police they came and unravaled the bad guy from the trucks wireing and politly told my father not to boobie trap his truck

In NC we are not suppose to use deadly force to protect personal property. But does this mean I can't threaten deadly force? I would have an extremely hard time hiding in my house with a gun in my hand while some scum bag drives off in my truck!!! is it worth my life? Of course not!! but me personally I would try and discourage them from proceeding with the theft. I live in a small community where folks don't like thieves, I think I would do just fine with a jury. You know it is so easy to say what you are going to do, but it is a different matter to actually do it. I pray none of us will encounter this scenario.
    Last edited by NCHornet; December 30th, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Hulk View Post
    +1

OH is one of those states where it's a no-no to protect property.
    yep, until they threaten you with serious bodily harm or death, (then as someone else said "game on")

you are still allowed to use reasonable force to protect property - not lethal or deadly force though...

I am NOT a lawyer, and your mileage may vary, some settling occurs in shipping...

(had an acquaintence, who upon finding someone half in and half out of his car in a parking garge, legs hanging out while stealing the radio, he walked up and closed the door on him - broke both the BGs legs)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links