Car Jacking in progress at home - Page 3

Car Jacking in progress at home

This is a discussion on Car Jacking in progress at home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My opinion is that it is permissible in ANY state to use REASONABLE force to confront/detain the thief. You don't have to go outside with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Jacking in progress at home

My opinion is that it is permissible in ANY state to use REASONABLE force to confront/detain the thief. You don't have to go outside with the intent to shoot the thief. It is reasonable to confront him, order him to the ground (at gunpoint, if necessary) to await police. If they escalate it to a deadly force level, then you are prepared and ready to do what you have to do to protect yourself. That being the case, you didn't shoot over stealing your car, you shot over the dirtbag over his illegal threat of deadly force toward you. I can't see any D.A., LEO, or jury saying it is unreasonable to confront someone who is trying to steal your car. I can't see any state law that would make it illegal to do so either.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

My opinion is that it is permissible in ANY state to use REASONABLE force to confront/detain the thief. If they escalate it to a deadly force level, then you are prepared and ready to do what you have to do to protect yourself.
    But it's not our opinions that matter in such cases; rather, it's the opinions of that fine group of twelve jurors, generally speaking.

If a given state's law indicates the "reasonable man" standard, then it comes down to the highly-impressionable folks tasked with judging us and what biases they bring to that judgment. Permissible? Not if they say it's not. Sad but true.

That said, you can certainly ask a BG what he's doing, demand he cease his actions and/or leave, and certainly defend against attack if the BG does so. What it boils down to is reasonableness, that in general it is not reasonable to risk a life over property (outside of Texas, a few other places), but it is certainly reasonable to use all necessary force to defend a life. Want a general recipe? Follow this. Want to go deeper? Then learn your state's laws very well, since what's commonplace and understood somewhere might well land you in prison elsewhere.

Performance of a citizen's arrest is an entirely different can of worms and the requirements/standards may vary quite a bit depending on where you live. Almost certainly your laws won't justify shooting to detain, if the BG decides to simply stand up, turn away and keep going. YMMV, state laws depending.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maveri9720---- I have to ask this. Under your screen name it says Ex Member.
    I don't think I have ever seen that before. How does one become an Ex Member??
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But it's not our opinions that matter in such cases; rather, it's the opinions of that fine group of twelve jurors, generally speaking.
    True, I didn't mean to sound like a lawyer. I meant that I can't see any state saying that it is unreasonable to confront someone who is stealing your property.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Performance of a citizen's arrest is an entirely different can of worms and the requirements/standards may vary quite a bit depending on where you live. Almost certainly your laws won't justify shooting to detain, if the BG decides to simply stand up, turn away and keep going. YMMV, state laws depending.
    And if that is the case, the dirtbag leaves, you have accomplished what you wanted. Your car is safe, you are safe, no one has been shot.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

We had some similar problems. A few weeks back my apartment complex was having a rash of car break-ins in the middle of the night. Apparently it was a set of brothers who happened to live in the complex. One car owner (a ccw holder) caught the two and held one at gunpoint (the other ran off before he could do anything) until the police arrived. Once the police showed up they arrested him and rumor has it (for all that rumor is worth) that he had a previous warrant out...for shooting a police officer in northern California. Not all thieves are just thieves...I used this to illustrate to my sometimes frustrating wife how not all thieves are just thieves, some of them are murderers too.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Is your ride worth the hassle of shooting somebody? You will more than likely spend at least the rest of the night in jail waiting for your atty. You know if you have to go to court that will cost alot for the atty. When his family sues you because you took away their bread winner (because he was supporting his family by selling your stuff). And so on, And no you should not hold them at gun point until the cops show up either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links