Damsel In Distress!...or IS she?

This is a discussion on Damsel In Distress!...or IS she? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is a real scenario that happened to a friend. Here’s what happened (New Britain CT, by the way, surprise surprise): Friend is just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damsel In Distress!...or IS she?

Damsel In Distress!...or IS she?

The following is a real scenario that happened to a friend.

Here’s what happened (New Britain CT, by the way, surprise surprise):

Friend is just coming out of a big pharmacy, alone, and walking towards his shiny expensive looking newish car. Situational awareness not very high (probably non-existent), as this friend is a bit cocky and takes for granted that his “mafia” looking dress and demeanor will keep both cops as well as robbers at bay.

As he’s getting into his car, a “damsel in distress” bursts onto his scene, opens the passenger door, and gets in with him, vociferously proclaiming something about her angry boyfriend, she needs to get away quick, etc…my friend, at this point, is now obviously completely distracted.

Next thing he knows, there’s a thug with a gun in his face at the driver-side window demanding his money. He complied, and the bad guy walked away with his now much calmer girlfriend/accomplice. Friend never even called the cops. I couldn’t believe that he didn’t call to report it, but he’s weird that way.

I’ve spent a lot of time putting myself in this scenario, trying to figure out what I would have done, and one of my “hypothetical” responses is to behave as if I’m complying, reach into right front pocket, (body bladed to him) and surprise him with a Ruger LCP and a couple quick shots to his COM. Of course, this is the “superhero me” thinking this way, after the fact, knowing it would be justifiable, etc etc…The tricky part doing this though, after I REALLY thought about it, is the accomplice. Is she armed too? Would I have had time to present and fire, before being shot by thug, if she saw it and called out “GUN!”?

Another “hypothetical” response is that I would also comply, due to the sudden terrifying sight of a gun in my face, since I suppose that could happen too.

My neighbor said if he’d had a gun, he would have pulled it and told the thug “Looks like we have a standoff”. Obviously my friends and neighbors don’t do much thinking or learning about self defense, but I digress…

After all is said and done, I’m not sure what the “best” response is, given the scenario above.

So….

What to do?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    DATD is serious business. It's the last defensive position that you ever want to be in. There are some good threads here on this, but know that the odds are very much against you.

Better SA would have noticed the damsel long before she hit the handle on the car door and had it locked with the car in gear.

She'd have never got in in the first place, because if alone only the drivers door is unlocked to get in.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

First off, I'm old, damsels seem to pick better princes. If this had happened to me, and she was complaining about her "angry boyfriend", I'd have exited the vehicle immediately. Can't protect yourself sitting in a vehicle. Also as an ex LEO, I'd have been looking for both of them prior to reaching my vehicle.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    She'd have never got in in the first place, because if alone only the drivers door is unlocked to get in.
    LOL. You LEO guys are always suspicious! The key fob on my car rarely unlocks on the first push, so I push it several times. All of my doors are usually unlocked by the time I get there.

I thought about searching out your thread on DATD. It's one of the best that I've read.

VIP Member
    My truck doesn't have a key fob. I use the old fashioned key to get in. Problem solved.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member

Years on the street make us that way.
    Thanks re the DATD thread.

I realize that better SA, along with a number of other factors would negate the need to deal with this scenario as stated, but just for arguments sake, pretend it all went down as described and you were in the same predicament.

Tough situation.
    You don't know if she is armed, gun, knife, etc. His positioning would be significant.
    IF you thought all they wanted was the wallet, you might be better giving in.
    IF not...drop the wallet on the ground. When he goes to pick it up, she has not displayed a weapon, draw and back hand her in the face with the barrel, lean over to the right and when he comes up, bang, bang, bang.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    When I get in my pickup I hit the unlock switch once which unlocks the driver side only. Although they probably would have gotten my money because I'm a sucker for helping women. But I carry very little cash if any on me so they won't get much. Canceling my one debit card won't be tough and if they happen to use it they can have close to three dollars that may be in my account.Tough situation. But It think good SA would help prevent this.

I guess it would depend on what she looked like? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. You LEO guys are always suspicious! The key fob on my car rarely unlocks on the first push, so I push it several times. All of my doors are usually unlocked by the time I get there.

I thought about searching out your thread on DATD. It's one of the best that I've read.
    "By the time I get there" is the key. Go get a new battery for your keyfob or dont press it till you are close.
    I only open the drivers door as was stated.

Sled

What makes this situation very difficult is that you have the accomplice already in the car, the BG is in the opposite direction and you have very little room to manage things clearly. IMO it would totally be up to my gut feeling: 'if they would leave if I gave them my wallet'. DATD wouldn't be my first choice because it could possibly work against the BG, but in this scenario due to lack of room I wouldn't know if the girl was armed ready to plant one in the back on my head or pounce on me from behind. I guess plan C would be draw my weapon and threaten to shoot the girl.
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. You LEO guys are always suspicious!
    You mean you're not?

We could change the scenario slightly. Doesn't have to be a damsel in distress, could just be two thugs.
    This happened here http://www.bentonpolice.org/media-re...-suspects.html
    What I heard word of mouth (not in the article) was that one guy got in the passenger side, and the one with the (visible) gun came to the driver door --- just like in the OP's scenario.
    Obviously if you were the pizza driver, you SHOULD have seen them get out of their car and burned rubber to get out of there.....so I suppose what you REALLY need, more than locked doors or drawing against the drop, is better SA.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

What engages my interest here is the teamwork displayed by Miss Damsel and Mr Thug.

Normally, when we think of a 2-on-1 attack, both assailants are in an aggressive mode. The kind of attack described by the OP is more akin to the way pickpockets and shoplifters work in teams where one is the "distractor." It's not entirely unheard of, but it's an unusual technique you don't often encounter.

Depending on the skill level of the criminals involved, defense against this is difficult because the goal of the distractor is to shut down your SA. What's that you say? "Oh no, I never let down my guard..." and "My SA is always on, always..." Yeah, right.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links