Why carry at home? - Page 2

Why carry at home?

This is a discussion on Why carry at home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Easy answer ..................... most people are killed in their home....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why carry at home?

Easy answer ..................... most people are killed in their home.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Other than at school, I am always armed...my firearm is either on my person or within reach, always!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry when I'm at home, sure. I don't carry into the shower, but if I'm up and out of bed, I'm dressed, and that means that I am armed.

I get that there are lies, danged lies, and then there are statistics, but some of them are actually useful and/or informative (apologies to Mr. Twain). All indicators show that the most likely place to be involved in a violent criminal encounter is in your own home.

I work the third shift, so when I'm home on a night off, I sit up while everyone else sleeps. I've had people come up to the property for many different reasons. I live on a weird street that most people think goes to a well known local park, but actually dead ends right out in front of my house. Lots of innocent "lost" traffic, but occasionally someone who thinks that they are escaping from the LEOs through the park finds themselves trapped in my driveway. We've had guns drawn on vehicles before less than 20 meters from my front door. So yeah. I carry in the house and my Wife has the Stoeger Coach Gun next to her side of the bed.

But I'm sure it's just paranoia on my part that compels me to do such a silly thing...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Interesting comments especially since differing views from many of our 5 star members. Tend to agree with MadMac. When I am up and around, I rely on situational awareness, which has served me well for my 69 years and has never caused me any concern or need for a firearm. This situational awareness can also be applied the way MadMac has expressed it. Always a "what if' but somewhere along the line, IMO, living in a state of "military readiness" is not really living the way I want to live. There is something a bit paranoid (I apologize now for use of the word but it just sounds right to me in a very passive way) to me if I have to walk around in my house strapped to a firearm.

There is a difference between carrying at home/fast easy access and being on high alert 24/7.

When I am at home, I know where my weapons are and can get them quick if needed, or it is on me. I am also what you would call in condition white until the dog barks or I hear someone at the door. The 4 walls of the house is a barrier and creates time to react allowing me to relax.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Sticks: Re your last reply, I would think that everyone knows where their weapons are. Dogs barking, condition white, 4 walls are a barrier---where do all of you live? If it is dangerous and you cannot move elsewhere, I can understand your psyche. Other than that, I find it difficult to understand how many repliers seem to be (and it could just be the words and a wrong interpretation by me) somewhat preoccupied with this whole security/defense issue in their lives. Obviously this whole forum is not here for the la di da people who just float around growing flowers, but I truly feel saddened sometimes by the degree to which many have very militaristic views that reflect on their personal day to day lives. Please--I am not trying to be critical--just find it troubling. I purchased firearms and CC because I am disgusted with this federal government and I feel that exercising my 2A is a way to protest. I participate in this forum to increase my knowledge of firearms and their use. I find this government to be dangerous and as close as I have ever come to thinking about it being a dictatorship. I have strong feelings about what happened in the 30's in germany and will not be a sheep, but all of this has very little to do with my day to day activities and the dangers in and around my home to the point that I feel the need to be vigilant to the point that I perceive in many replies. Again, I apologize if I am misreading or misunderstanding many replies--I just find many of the comments to be bothersome and sad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There is a difference between carrying at home/fast easy access and being on high alert 24/7.

When I am at home, I know where my weapons are and can get them quick if needed, or it is on me. I am also what you would call in condition white until the dog barks or I hear someone at the door. The 4 walls of the house is a barrier and creates time to react allowing me to relax.
    I agree. Just because I am prepared does not mean I am on high alert. Gun on hip in a comfortable holster and I can lounge watching TV, surf the web or do whatever around the house. If I need to run to the store I don't have to get dressed again, I am already good to go. Also, if my home is invaded it is not a sprint to the gun safe.

I dress in the morning and I am good to go til bedtime.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I relax at home. I keep the doors secure and the dog announces any unusual sound or movement. There is a handgun within easy reach of my easy chair but I don't keep the darned thing strapped on in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Sticks: Re your last reply, I would think that everyone knows where their weapons are. Dogs barking, condition white, 4 walls are a barrier---where do all of you live? If it is dangerous and you cannot move elsewhere, I can understand your psyche. Other than that, I find it difficult to understand how many repliers seem to be (and it could just be the words and a wrong interpretation by me) somewhat preoccupied with this whole security/defense issue in their lives. Obviously this whole forum is not here for the la di da people who just float around growing flowers, but I truly feel saddened sometimes by the degree to which many have very militaristic views that reflect on their personal day to day lives. Please--I am not trying to be critical--just find it troubling. I purchased firearms and CC because I am disgusted with this federal government and I feel that exercising my 2A is a way to protest. I participate in this forum to increase my knowledge of firearms and their use. I find this government to be dangerous and as close as I have ever come to thinking about it being a dictatorship. I have strong feelings about what happened in the 30's in germany and will not be a sheep, but all of this has very little to do with my day to day activities and the dangers in and around my home to the point that I feel the need to be vigilant to the point that I perceive in many replies. Again, I apologize if I am misreading or misunderstanding many replies--I just find many of the comments to be bothersome and sad.
    I'm a little confused by this post.

This forum is primarily for the carrying and use of firearms in the defense of ones life and/or property (where the law allows - lets not go there on this thread), not supporting 2A and concerns with the actions of our elected officials.

What I am trying to convey in my post is that when I am at home, I don't need to be on even mild alert. I have a dog on duty, and solid physical barriers to slow down a threat, ergo I can relax and do my thing. When I am out in the world I have no physical barriers to slow a threat so now I am on duty.

Like many posters here, If I am actually dressed (not in my PJs) then I have my weapon on me. Otherwise they are within reach or quick to get to if something does happen.

Anybody, anytime, anywhere. Upscale neighborhood or ghetto, there is still a risk. My neighborhood is in the middle of the spectrum. My home has solid windowless doors, reinforced frames, double locked, and what windows that can be breached w/o aid of a ladder, will suck for them trying to get in that way (lots of obstacles, or a nasty drop on those routes).

Besides, most of us who do carry all day, every day feel naked w/o the usual weight in it's proper location, so it becomes a part of being "comfortable" at home.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    We live in a very rural and very small community. I used to carry only when I left the house and drove into "the city." Now, due to circumstances relating to my job, if I'm dressed, I'm carrying........if not dressed, weapons are close to hand.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Anybody, anytime, anywhere. Upscale neighborhood or ghetto, there is still a risk.
    Can we finally get beyond this lame, hackneyed, overused platitude? I don't think anyone disagrees. This is about managing your personal risk, and it is naturally a game of "what if" and statistics.

You're far, far more likely to die from heart disease, cancer, or your beer gut than you are from a random home invasion in a nice neighborhood if you are not a criminal.

I see guys on here posting their flabby 360lb physique that tote around a gun in their underwear protecting themselves from some infinitesimally minute outcome, while actively shortening their lives with food and alcohol.

Or guys that ride motorcycles without a helmet worrying about being randomly assaulted in their bathroom.

I guess these are the same guys that feel playing the lottery is a better retirement plan than saving monthly for their whole life. Hey, I could hit the $700 million jackpot, you know! It could happen to me!
    Last edited by MadMac; February 11th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Madmac, I agree with alot of your post. I live a high risk life style. I ride a Harley without a helmet, have an occasional beer or shot of Tequila, and I am quick to confront injustice or law breakers. But I never really planned on living this long anyway. I think it would be boring to live too long. Death is the ultimate goal of life.
    I ameverything you mentioned but overweight.

Sorry bout the highjack, just had to comment. Life is dull without risks.

I like this attitude and it is mine also. I have been meaning to carry full time. I need to get in the "habit".

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Madmac, I agree with alot of your post. I live a high risk life style. I ride a Harley without a helmet, have an occasional beer or shot of Tequila, and I am quick to confront injustice or law breakers. But I never really planned on living this long anyway. I think it would be boring to live too long. Death is the ultimate goal of life.
    I ameverything you mentioned but overweight.

Sorry bout the highjack, just had to comment. Life is dull without risks.
    Thank you for your candid and well-reasoned post. I, too, feel like you. I have taken risks my whole life - motorcycles, parachuting, white-water rafting, drinking, carousing, etc. That's why I find it somewhat silly that many people here get all worked up over the tiniest of probablilities, while ignoring the far more likely outcomes of a shortened life. I am more like kelcarry in my outlook about concealed carry. I am exercising my rights more so than worrying about getting into a gunfight.

I am leaving for China in the morning. Where I am going there is no possibility of concealed carry, or even taking my folder which is patently illegal in Hong Kong where my journey begins. If I tried to smuggle it into the country, I'd find myself calling the American Embassy from jail. I'm still going. Unarmed. Because life is short, and I have so much to see and do.

...and no, I don't usually carry around the house unless I just happen to have my gun on me from running errands.

Senior Moderator
    Count me in the MadMac camp. I don't carry at home all the time. Sometimes, yeah... if I already have my gun on I won't always take it off but that's not always the case.
    And, I really have to question the statistics in the flier.

1 out of 5 homes experiences a break-in or invasion?

I know a lot of people who live in a lot of homes in a vast majority of elasticities, countries, states, communities, neighborhoods, etc. With those kind of statistics at least 1/5 of my friends should have experienced a break-in or invasion. They haven't. That includes people I know overseas.

Are we talking about the ENTIRE LIFETIME of a home? Some houses have been around for 100 + years and maybe if your looking at the entire lifetime of that house which can span as many as 3 human lifetimes and house dozens of families then, okay... I guess I could MAYBE buy that statistic. Barring that I just don't buy it.

I have a gun (or two, or ten) in close proximity that I can get to quickly but I don't see the burning need to get up in the morning and strap on my gun before I have my morning coffee or change my kid's diaper.

Yes, it could happen but, as stated, you are far more likely to die of cancer or heart disease or an accident than you are to be killed by a home-invading terrorist.

There are people around here who refuse to go any place that doesn't allow them to carry a gun or vacation to places they can't take a gun. Some people won't even fly because they can't have guns.. okay. That's their right.

But I think you're missing out on .. well.. living if that is your prerogative.

JD and I went to Las Vegas for a week in January. We didn't have reciprocity and left our guns at home. We walked the streets of Vegas until midnight, sometimes later with nothing but a couple of knives and a flashlight each. I even had a few to drink and got the bejeezus scared out of me by what I thought was a wax Elvis. We laughed. We had fun. We even went out in our finest risking people thinking we had money worth trying to take. We weren't armed. Our chances of an altercation were a lot higher there than they are in our living room, that's for sure!

I'm not saying people who are armed can't have fun or enjoy themselves but it shouldn't be a preoccupation to the point where it DOES interfere with your life. If you ever say, "I can't do that because I can't be armed while doing it," and if that's your ONLY reason for not enjoying or doing something I say there's a problem. That includes living in your own living room. If you can't sit back and enjoy your couch and your comfort without a gun (unless there's a legitimate and known threat after you) then there MIGHT be more to the story.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links