Why carry at home?

This is a discussion on Why carry at home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks There is a difference between carrying at home/fast easy access and being on high alert 24/7. When I am at home, ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why carry at home?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There is a difference between carrying at home/fast easy access and being on high alert 24/7.

When I am at home, I know where my weapons are and can get them quick if needed, or it is on me. I am also what you would call in condition white until the dog barks or I hear someone at the door. The 4 walls of the house is a barrier and creates time to react allowing me to relax.
    + 1 My first line of defense at home has four legs and a heck of a bark right Max..... Max.....
    photo.jpg

Dad and Max on high alert.......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

My wife and I both CC when we leave the house. In the house there are loaded shotguns placed in easy to get to locations upstairs and down. I carry a BUG most of the time and usually have a truck gun--serves as a farm gun also. BUT I do not carry in the house all the time.

Situations differ! I live one mile off of a public road on a private road with automatic gate that closes at 10:30 pm. It is a mile or more walk in from any public access. Most folks do not know we live back here. Everything is paid for and nutin' fancy. I have safes for higher value sstuff BUT I see no need in our situation to arm myself always in the house. If I am dressing to go out or have just got back in--my EDC will be on me. If I am relaxing by reading or playing with hobby stuff, I feel ok to not be armed. I do keep a shotgun by the door in my shop and machine shop here at home. But it is really more to shoot armadillos and other varmits like stray cats that constantly plague us. I am not telling you how to behave at home, but I don't really need anyone else telling me how I should lead my life. Living in a free nation with rights gives me the right to make my own decisions. It could get worse in the future, but for now, this is how I read the defensive situation in my world.
    Thanks and be safe.

Hard to type, carrying right now. j/k Usually on me or in reach. Never in a room without a weapon.period.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

I carry within my home at all times now. Have been for a while. At night, I sleep with a long pillow beside me sideways to lean on. My weapon of choice is holstered underneath that pillow and a 12 ga by the head of the bed. I get up in the morning and to to the basement to exercise...gun goes with me. A holstered gun fits right in the drink holder of my treadmill. The SP101 gets a lot of carry time and home duty these days.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    I was speaking with someone who knows that I carry and she wanted to know what type of gun I used for carry as she is considering buying a gun.

She is a friend of my wife and we were in my home so I showed her my piece. Her eyes enlarged when she discovered that I had my gun on me. I told her that the term HOME invasion meant just that. In the home.

I ran across this and wanted to share it for those who may find it useful.

http://www.pdviz.com/home-invasion-s...ics-in-america

Attachment 23227
    I think it's like walking around the house with a fire hose. The chances of a home invasion that would necessitate carrying a weapon - unless one is in very, very unusual circumstances - is so remote it's obsessive to be routinely rigged up for it. At some point, continual fixation on danger produces fear and more fear. The most well-adjusted people I know take reasonable precautions on the actual likelihood of an event and get on with their lives.
    Last edited by hamlet; February 12th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I think it like walking around the house with a fire hose. The chances of a home invasion that would necessitate carrying a weapon - unless one is in very, very unusual circumstances - is so remote it's obsessive to be routinely rigged up for it. At some point, continual fixation on danger produces fear and more fear. The most well-adjusted people I know take reasonable precautions on the actual likelihood of an event and get on with their lives.
    Do these folks wear seatbelts? Statistically your need for them is pretty remote on any given trip. If so, do they just put them on during the wreck because they know where they are?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Sticks: Sorry for sidebar to 2A--just pointing out my reason for CC and firearm ownership is coming from a different place then yours. To each his own--you do what you do and as long as you do not require it of me--that is fine with me. I do, however, agree more strongly with MadMac and his comments and, even though you find your actions to just be a normal way of life, when they are put in words I find them to be sad in my own way of thinking. Let us hope that none of us really have to confront anything that activates our need for CC or a firearm. God Bless. Once again, I am sorry if my reply caused you the need to reply again. If anything, everyone's comments on these forums is a learning experience for me, even if I disagree, and I hope that my replies and threads give someone thought on their own circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Do these folks wear seatbelts? Statistically your need for them is pretty remote on any given trip. If so, do they just put them on during the wreck because they know where they are?
    Do the vigilant seat belt wearers have seat belts on their recliners at home? There is a possibility that they could fall asleep watching a football game, tumble out of the chair and break their neck.
    It's risk management and your personal comfort level. We would all be safer driving if we had a 5 point safety harness and wore a helmet but really....who wants to do that?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Rotorblade: IMO the real argument is taking absolute responsibility for your actions. Do not want to wear a seat belt or a helmet on a cycle, then have your family and your fortune take care (100% of the cost) of your needless injuries. It seems that irresponsibilty in this country always has an excuse or is forgiven--that, to me, is the rub. I am sick and tired of nanny state and self righteous politicians who know what is right for you and me but not for them. We are individuals in this country and should be responsible for ourselves and our errors. Entitlements my pitootie--if you do not go to school and screw around your whole life and have nothing left when you are 70---tough. Sorry I am off on a different horse but yada yada yada.

Interesting posts and reasons from some of the members.

I carry at work (against policy) because I was strongly and unofficially encouraged by my supervisor to do so. My work puts me in remote areas, alone, with tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and copper. We've been cleaned out at night several times, and all (mechanics) have had mystery people cruising the job sites on evenings and weekends. We've had 1 mechanic actually get confronted and 36" pipe wrench trumps tire iron.

Carrying is part of my daily activities. 60+ hours a week at work, so naturally I incorporate it into my off time. It is part of my life now. I don't live by it, it does not control my actions (except for vacations to other states and that is more on principle).

Edited to add- I don't love my job. I worked 2700 hours last year to bring in a whopping $56k after taxes and health insurance. It has risks. I need the current salary because I don't want to loose the house (single income), the wife, and the meager lifestyle I have become accustomed to. I have chosen a career, residence (came with the wife), and lifestyle that has some risks to it. I can not find another job in my profession with the same pay with a lower risk factor. So I do other things to mitigate those risks.

Different programming I guess. I don't understand using CC as a means of "supporting 2A" or protesting Govt attitude. Some of the members here, I am forced to wonder why they bother carrying at all. They seem to regard their weapon/CC status more as a symbol than a tool.

If you don't ride a motorcycle, skateboard/roller blade, ski, snowmobile, then you don't own a helmet. If you don't drive, you could care less about seat belts and spare tires. If you live in a fireproof home you don't need a fire extinguisher. If you have nothing worth stealing (Monk/Nun lifestyle - no possessions) then you don't have an alarm or bother locking your doors. If your day to day life is such a low risk of a violent encounter, then why get a CC permit? Why do you even own a gun if you do not hunt or shoot as a hobby?

Owning a thing does not support policy. Voting and communication with elected officials supports policy.

There are other political issues that have zero impact on me, but I support them wholeheartedly because I know people that it does affect, and I am very against the gov't telling a person how to live their lives and what they can and can not do with their bodies, and who they choose to spend their lives with.

Supporting policy in your own way then criticizing others who apply or incorporate into their lives what you only support is a bit hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Typical MadMac caveats: It's your choice, so do what makes you feel safe. I am not saying it will never happen to Subject 1. It can happen to anyone. It's just personal risk management we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Anybody, anytime, anywhere. Upscale neighborhood or ghetto, there is still a risk.
    Can we finally get beyond this lame, hackneyed, overused platitude? I don't think anyone disagrees. This is about managing your personal risk, and it is naturally a game of "what if" and statistics.

You're far, far more likely to die from heart disease, cancer, or your beer gut than you are from a random home invasion in a nice neighborhood if you are not a criminal.

I see guys on here posting their flabby 360lb physique that tote around a gun in their underwear protecting themselves from some infinitesimally minute outcome, while actively shortening their lives with food and alcohol.

Or guys that ride motorcycles without a helmet worrying about being randomly assaulted in their bathroom.

I guess these are the same guys that feel playing the lottery is a better retirement plan than saving monthly for their whole life. Hey, I could hit the $700 million jackpot, you know! It could happen to me!
    MadMac - You are not the only one criticizing, I am not singling you out, but you are by far the most vocal.

I agree with you. Personal risk management can tip the scales in your favor regardless of what type of risk you are trying to mitigate, if you have the means and the desire to do so.

If a person doesn't have the means, or are unwilling to make certain sacrifices, who are we to criticize another for their alternative choice in risk management?

If a person want's to die fat and happy because they like steak and beer, but does not want to be defenseless from a thug or home invasion...why criticize?

If a person prefers the wind in their face and hair riding a motorcycle, throwing a 1000 pound tour bike around like a crotch rocket (yeah, me ) on the mountain and canyon roads chasing down Johnny Rocket who has no clue how to ride that super bike under them, but does not want to be defenseless from a thug or home invasion...why criticize?

The topic of the thread is "Why carry at home?"

People have posted why and where. Why criticize? What we do day to day has near zero impact on anybody else. The only impact to anyone else on this particular issue is if one of us screws up very very badly, and very very publicly. Thankfully they are few and far between, and we are united in not condoning their actions.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have read Sticks original post three times now and see nothing to indicate that he walks around his home carrying his EDC. He says he is in condition white most of the time until the dog barks and the four walls of his house act as a barrier allowing him time to take proper actions if needed. He states he knows where his weapons are and can get to them if needed. I really do not understand what there is to criticize here in regards to his post and i am in the same camp as he is. No one is being told how to live their lives only how someone else lives theirs. The thread was "Why Carry at Home"? It was not lets find fault with what others do and ridicule them for it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I wanted to show you guys this article from where I live in Knoxville. This husband and wife were the victims of a home invasion. Read the article and take notice of a few things.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/fe...artner=popular

the homeowner had a driveway censor installed, he had guns in the house, he was more prepared than the average sheeple and he still got killed. I'm not sure how they were able to get inside so quickly but this just shows that these invasions happen FAST. I always try to keep a gun within reach when I'm at home.

I live in a small rural town. 3 residents of my town were arrested last week for a home invasion and murder that they committed in another town. I've also been stalked by a former employee I had to terminate. I personally feel more comfortable carrying at home. I don't think any more or less of anyone for whatever choice they make. We all have to make our own choices based on our circumstances.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Statistically there is no comparison between the two. Car accidents happen with great regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I live in a small rural town. 3 residents of my town were arrested last week for a home invasion and murder that they committed in another town. I've also been stalked by a former employee I had to terminate. I personally feel more comfortable carrying at home. I don't think any more or less of anyone for whatever choice they make. We all have to make our own choices based on our circumstances.
    You have reason, especially with the stalker.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links