Why carry at home?

This is a discussion on Why carry at home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac ...Or guys that ride motorcycles without a helmet worrying about being randomly assaulted in their bathroom. That's funny! I fall squarely ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why carry at home?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    ...Or guys that ride motorcycles without a helmet worrying about being randomly assaulted in their bathroom.
    That's funny!

I fall squarely in the Mad Mac camp on this issue. It's all about your own perception of risk.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

2. Remove Ads

i live by myself...probably about 30 minute sheriff county deputy response time to my house....i BETTER be armed if i want to protect myself ...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Why not carry at home? If you have a decent carry rig, it shouldn't matter either way.

I will just say this and then bow out:

My top speed these days is a whopping, cane-assisted 2 mph.

I can't bend down.

Reaching up and/or down hurts.

Items on the dresser take me a while to get.

My gunsafe is under the bed.

My hips suck anyway and occasionally go out at random intervals.

2,000 mgs of Ibuprofen (sayonara, stomach lining!) are required to get up in the morning.

See why I carry all the time when I'm awake?

Perhaps others are similar in their circumstances, or perhaps they just feel that they are safer with their weapons on them as opposed to in the other room.

It occurs to me that I've seen MANY on this site with the opinion that the ONLY way to carry is concealed and all else is folly. Several signature lines profess various degrees of this very same viewpoint, and yet I have never felt the urge to mock any of them for what they want to do with their license, their weapon, or their time.

Sweet Virgin Mary in a Clown Suit on Steroids.

They believe something different.

Whoop. Dee. Doo.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm done.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Last year, I took my family to Africa. I explained to my daughter the possible dangers waiting over there, and explained I would be limited in my ability to protect them due to no firearm. I wanted to expose her to different cultures and countries, as I feel that is a superior education, but wanted to balance out what was best for her, as far as risk factor. Being a mature 14, I decided to let her decide after having all the information. What she said struck me as profound. She said, " Well Daddy, I would rather die living than live dying".

That's how my wife, daughter and I live. We are all warriors, but also are willing to step out of our comfort zone to have fun and enjoy life. We fixate on the gun to much, when in reality, for most people it will be as useless as a paper weight during the course of their lifetime. We can allow something that is supposed to give us security and protection enslave us. I say enjoy your lives and relax, you only get one run at it. Hell, who wants to live forever anyway?

I am perfectly comfortable with carrying mine all the time at home.
    As is my wife.... so in short... I can,so I do.

why not?
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

This husband and wife were the victims of a home invasion. Read the article and take notice of a few things.
    OK. I read it and don't see how the guy wound up in a bear hug. Did he open the door? He had plenty of time and warning to arm himself. The wife, for her part, had access to a weapon and time to bring it into play but couldn't operate it. So many levels of fail here it's hard to quantify them.

If you're going to go for it, then it's imperative that all residents in the home be aware of every weapon's location and handling. They need not be expert in the usage of each weapon, but they should have a basic knowledge of how they are to be used. This goes for firearms, bladed weapons, blunt instruments, flails and throwing weapons.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

TVJ
    To each their own with such a personal decision. I support the individuals right to choose.

Both sides make excellent points. I enjoy reading.

I like the middle way.

Get too fearful and paranoid, I shut myself off needlessly from the world. (note, nice point earlier in this thread about (potentially) over-worrying violent risk in house while ignoring overweight, heart attack/stroke risk for example....etc...YES!)

Get too complacent or blindly ignore the fact that violence exists, generally speaking, and I increase my risk of harm.

The flatter I am emotionally about the use of my sidearm, the more tactical I view it: like a specific tool, a set of keys, pack of gum, that I keep on myself (albeit with a very defined safety/tactical protocol comparatively).

So it becomes no big emotional deal around the house or anywhere. I carry my drill around the house when I'm working, whats the emotional difference for me between that and my Glock? Nothing. That's my intention.

Why carry at the home? Because I can and choose to. I believe in self-reliance and personal responsibility but not to the extreme of survialism. There is no emotionality carrying at home, in condition white with four walls around me and a dog in a nice neighborhood. I am very careful at the door with my own protocol. I have sidearms locked in strategic positions as well.

I have no 'drama' about it. It doesn't get in the way. I prepare for "nothing" statistically. But I notice I feel safer. I like that feeling. It feels good taking a very personal responsibility for my families safety while avoiding debilitating levels of paranoia.

If "nothing" statistically ever turns into something, I have my drill immediately.

Otherwise, it matters to me as much as the pack of gum in my pocket.

So I ride the middle way.
    Last edited by TVJ; February 13th, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: syntax for clarity
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    To each their own with such a personal decision. I support the individuals right to choose.

Both sides make excellent points. I enjoy reading.

I like the middle way.

Get too fearful and paranoid, I shut myself off needlessly from the world. (note, nice point earlier in this thread about (potentially) over-worrying violent risk in house while ignoring overweight, heart attack/stroke risk for example....etc...YES!)

Get too complacent or blindly ignore the fact that violence exists, generally speaking, and I increase my risk of harm.

The flatter I am emotionally about the use of my sidearm, the more tactical I view it: like a specific tool, a set of keys, pack of gum, that I keep on myself (albeit with a very defined safety/tactical protocol comparatively).

So it becomes no big emotional deal around the house or anywhere. I carry my drill around the house when I'm working, whats the emotional difference for me between that and my Glock? Nothing. That's my intention.

Why carry at the home? Because I can and choose to. I believe in self-reliance and personal responsibility but not to the extreme of survialism. There is no emotionality carrying at home, in condition white with four walls around me and a dog in a nice neighborhood. I am very careful at the door with my own protocol. I have sidearms locked in strategic positions as well.

I have no 'drama' about it. It doesn't get in the way. I prepare for "nothing" statistically. But I notice I feel safer. I like that feeling. It feels good taking a very personal responsibility for my families safety while avoiding debilitating levels of paranoia.

If "nothing" statistically ever turns into something, I have my drill immediately.

Otherwise, it matters to me as much as the pack of gum in my pocket.

So I ride the middle way.
    A good outlook.

I carry at home about 90% of the time. Sometimes when watching the tube my CB holster gets uncomfortable so I bought an Ace vertical should holster and I just throw that thing on when that happens.
    Its all preference. I am in a small apartment. Someone comes in they are going to be on top of me in 2 seconds. I will not have time to run into the other room and get armed.

Assess your personal threat level, make a decision, and live it consistently. That simple.

This year, my point of view has changed about carrying in the home. I live on a military base and the threat of home invasion or any crime is almost nil. Couple that with the fact that I live on and in federal property pretty much cuts down on the outside bad guys coming to steal me and my home. However, my last posting in central Texas was a bit different. I practice good physical security - like others have pointed out in this thread - and knew where my weapons were...and felt safe.

My only problem is convincing the wife that a gun on each floor is a good thing to have. Working on concealment options for each floor - fake wall-clocks, gun safes, etc. Not going to be actively carrying in my home on installation - just isn't needed.

I applaud those of you who have assessed your security profile, have become TRAINED, and carry or protect yourselves accordingly. However, remember that a bottle of OC and other non-lethal means should also be in your kit bag in case something happens short of the zombie horde.

My .02 cents.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have a handgun no more than 2 steps away. The shotgun is about 10 steps, as we have a small house. If you do not remain vigilant, your complacency may be complacent about leaving, and you get got on the wrong end of a crime.
    I agree 100%. Most of the stories you read about where the victim isn't targeted for one reason or another involves complacency. If we knew when and where we'd get into trouble, we'd probably avoid the area - right? The bottom line is we don't know the where and when so preparedness (mentally and physically) is prudent.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

My personal risk is low, but I have a handgun within reach wherever I am in my small 1-bedroom apt.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

1. I used to deal with a lot of violent people , murderers, etc. .... and catching many of them. I know what they are like and how they work. They plan on you being "undefended". Most people were killed in their homes.
    2. I have had more than one try to hunt me down or to kill me, with one breaking into my house who was wanted on several attempted murder charges.
    3. I live in a "very good" area, and have had someone trying to break into my back door while I was home @ 2 a.m.
    4. I have seen too many dead bodies of people who thought, no one will hurt me in my home.... "I'm safe here".
    5. I have walked in to a 'burglar' in my home.... in an area burglaries don't occur.

How many reasons do you want, as I can keep going. Those that think it's dumb.... good luck to ya, but I'll be armed...
    You can play the "percentages", but it only takes "once". And I was a boy scout.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I carry at home. And my SmartCarry makes it very comfortable to do so. Whether its my hunking Glock 21, Glock 26, or pocketable Kel Tec PF9, I'm still comfy in my sweats and a tee shirt around the house. No one can see I'm carrying it. But everyone who lives with me knows I have it on.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links