Why carry at home? - Page 5

Why carry at home?

This is a discussion on Why carry at home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This link is running elsewhere on DC. I reference it here because while making other errors that resulted in the perps gaining entrance to his ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why carry at home?

VIP Member
    This link is running elsewhere on DC. I reference it here because while making other errors that resulted in the perps gaining entrance to his house, the decedent was trying to get to the gun case/safe when he was fatally shot.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/fe...artner=popular
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The handgun she was trying to use had three separate "safeties".

"Safe for whom?"

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    The handgun she was trying to use had three separate "safeties".

"Safe for whom?"
    The children, thieves, unauthorized persons...the general grass eater theory to keep those evil guns from randomly shooting people.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

3D

Wink It's how I found my personal carry solution.

I'm new to defensive carry of a firearm for personal protection.

Learning how to carry my pistol comfortably; where to place it on my body; how to 'adequately' conceal it and not act/be overly self-conscious of it took me some time. I practiced different solutions while carrying at home.

I am now very comfortable with my carry habits and one of those habits is to carry at home. I find being that prepared permits me to relax even more when at home. I can let go of the "What if's?" and the "Where is it now's?"

It's no big deal; like others here . . . it's just something else I wear.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Ex Member
    No matter where I am at in my home my dogs, alarm, or 3 locks on EVERY door and window will give me enough time to 'repel boarders.'

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    I was speaking with someone who knows that I carry and she wanted to know what type of gun I used for carry as she is considering buying a gun.

She is a friend of my wife and we were in my home so I showed her my piece. Her eyes enlarged when she discovered that I had my gun on me. I told her that the term HOME invasion meant just that. In the home.

I ran across this and wanted to share it for those who may find it useful.

http://www.pdviz.com/home-invasion-s...ics-in-america

Attachment 23227
    Yep. That's why I carry at home. The bad guys don't phone and let you know when they are going to be kicking your door down and invading your home. So I just want to be ready all the time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Interesting comments especially since differing views from many of our 5 star members. Tend to agree with MadMac. When I am up and around, I rely on situational awareness, which has served me well for my 69 years and has never caused me any concern or need for a firearm. This situational awareness can also be applied the way MadMac has expressed it. Always a "what if' but somewhere along the line, IMO, living in a state of "military readiness" is not really living the way I want to live. There is something a bit paranoid (I apologize now for use of the word but it just sounds right to me in a very passive way) to me if I have to walk around in my house strapped to a firearm.
    I carry at home (P238 in my right front sweats pocket as I type this) most all the time. If there were ever really a condition white then I am there most of the time at home. We live in a great place.
    BUT anything can and does happen anywhere...
    My home is where my family is, and that is what I need to protect most. I am sitting in my basement office right now, I cannot see outside on the 3 sides that matter most to me. My wife is home upstairs. If I hear something that seems off I will not be walking upstairs unarmed to go get armed...
    I have several ways that I can carry a firearm very comfortably so I do even when doing chores around the house.

I have no fear, and I am not paranoid. I am prepared.

Sled

Why wouldn't you? That's the place where everything you've earned and love generally stays....what more to protect?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

When I can, I do, no exceptions. I'm a young man of reasonably good fitness and I have a good carry rig. Why wouldn't I? There isn't any cost or inconvenience for doing so. Paranoid, I doubt it. I've seen the ugly of people up close and personal on more than one occasion, in full technicolor. It happens a lot more quickly when your caught by surprise and behind the reactionary curve than it does when reading about it from the paper while enjoying morning coffee. Suffice it to say that during an attack, there may not be time to retrieve a weapon from a place other than from on the hip. That's the linchpin of my outlook on the issue.

Being prepared for the inevitable bumps in the road is a complete lifestyle. Gun ownership is but one minuscule manifestation of that commitment.

It's pretty amusing that some people will call out the philosophies of others as trite platitudes without seeing the dogma in the message they themselves preach.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Carry at home? Who ? Me?

It seems to me that I would rather have an extra few pounds on my belt than be without my gun when I need it most. My holster is not uncomfortable, so I see no reason to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Why carry at home?

Her eyes enlarged when she discovered that I had my gun on me. I told her that the term HOME invasion meant just that. In the home.
    A violent felon can enter the home seeking violence upon you or your family members; a burglar can deem the dinner hour the perfect time to burgle the jewelry out of the master bedroom; a child kidnapper can enter through the backyard and take little Johnnie for a ride; a felon can be pursued by police into your own neighborhood and the felon can decide to use your property as an escape route. There's no telling what can occur while one is at home. If all things were tracked in statistics, your friend would likely be very surprised by how frequently such things occur. Life isn't just the safe little bubble that some presume.

Here on DC, we've had members experience many of the above situations. And that's just amongst us here, a very small group indeed.

She is a friend of my wife and we were in my home so I showed her my piece. Her eyes enlarged when she discovered that I had my gun on me.
    A defensive firearm doesn't do much good if it's not on you. It's one of the many things she should evaluate, appreciate and understand well before she actually acquires a firearm, IMO. Else it might well do her no good at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There's no telling what can occur while one is at home. If all things were tracked in statistics, your friend would likely be very surprised by how frequently such things occur. Life isn't just the safe little bubble that some presume.

Here on DC, we've had members experience many of the above situations. And that's just amongst us here, a very small group indeed.
    So, you are claiming statistics back up your OPINION without citing statistics to back up said OPINION.

Perhaps the posters at DC aren't representative of our society in general. There seems to be an overabundance of LEOs, ex-LEOs, military, and security wonks, although I don't have the actual statistics to back that up.

Here's my anecdotal story: I have over 3000 names in my personal Rolodex. I am in my mid-fifties and I have lived in eight different states for more than a year, and other states less than that. I have visited all but four of the US states, and have been on every continent except Africa. I have relatives all around the US and overseas as well. I just returned from a week in China where I walked and took public transportation everywhere. I was in Europe back in September, and traveled this way all through Italy. My wife and I go to NYC at least once a year for a week-long holiday, usually around Christmas.

I have NEVER had anyone in my acquaintance or a relative who has told me of a home invasion or even a mugging. My home was burgled in Maryland while my wife and family were out. Obviously, in this case, the crooks looked for us to be gone.

Your laundry list of what "could" happen is simple conjecture.

Here's my version for you: Anything "can" happen. Anything. To anyone. At any time. So let's see about using a discussion point a little less vague, shall we?

Seeing how I started carrying due to death threats against my wife and her mother, I carry at home or always have it close by. Luckily our "attack Corgi (LOL)" lets us know when someone comes into the yard (or a leaf falls, sun comes out, wind blows, etc). I've had friends and family members experience home robberies (thankfully none of them were home at the time) in rural NC. I've also had friends get mugged, raped, attacked, stalked, etc.

In either case, who cares about the statistics? The topic is "Why Carry at Home?." We have our reasons, all of which are good enough for us.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links