Why carry at home? - Page 6

Why carry at home?

This is a discussion on Why carry at home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GhostRed7 Seeing how I started carrying due to death threats against my wife and her mother, I carry at home or always ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Seeing how I started carrying due to death threats against my wife and her mother, I carry at home or always have it close by. Luckily our "attack Corgi (LOL)" lets us know when someone comes into the yard (or a leaf falls, sun comes out, wind blows, etc). I've had friends and family members experience home robberies (thankfully none of them were home at the time) in rural NC. I've also had friends get mugged, raped, attacked, stalked, etc.

In either case, who cares about the statistics? The topic is "Why Carry at Home?." We have our reasons, all of which are good enough for us.
    You obviously have a different risk profile than many other people. None of my immediate family has been the victim of death threats. I am sad to hear you must live under this cloud.

That's why statistics are important to make sensible decisions.

I guess technically EVERYTHING is a stat of some sort (I used to love the show Numb3rs for this reason). Some of us do live in a cloud of higher possibility/probability, which is the reasoning for carrying at home. Heck, if it were up to me and had unlimited budget....I'd have a "holster stash" in every room....including one hidden next to the commode. I've always been paranoid, the death threats by the in-law's ex hubby (who happens to be a Pakistani that fled the country and we believe has laundered money to "shady" activities) were the icing on the cake. Steps were as follows: 1 - call LEOs to report the harassment and illegal video surveillance we discovered, 2 - call personal friend that used to work for GBI and now G-ATF, 3 - buy firearm(s) to carry at home. Don't get me wrong....we don't live in the house in fear, but definitely heightened SA. Makes me all fuzzy inside to know that the wife is in love with the G21sf
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

3D
    Why I carry at home is not based on the statistical probabilities of a deadly threat occurring. If statistical probabilities were the only reason I decided to defensive carry a weapon I would not be carrying one.

Probabilities tell me I will most likely never need my gun to defend against a deadly threat at my home. Because of the very high stakes involved, however, I prepare to prevail.

I carry at home because of some very subjective thinking:

[1] I believe an armed person at home can better defend against a deadly threat should it occur;
    [2] I am an armed person at home;
    [3] therefore I can better defend against a deadly threat should it occur.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

If you had a bottle of 77 pills, 76 of which were harmless - but one was a lethal dose of cyanide. Would you swallow one of those pills? (knowing of course that the 'probabilities' are in your favor.)
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Why I carry at home is not based on the statistical probabilities of a deadly threat occurring. If statistical probabilities were the only reason I decided to defensive carry a weapon I would not be carrying one.

If you had a bottle of 77 pills, 76 of which were harmless - but one was a lethal dose of cyanide. Would you swallow one of those pills? (knowing of course that the 'probabilities' are in your favor.)
    The pills statistical question is a non sequitur, thus not relevant to the discussion. However, your comment about deadly threats is spot-on. I do not carry at home precisely because the threat is so remote. I don't have a crazed Pakastani in my past who thinks I ran off with his wife, and has put me on a hit list.

It's far more likely I need a defibrilator on each floor, and everyone in the house trained in its use. If the statistical likelihood of needing advanced medical equipment far outstrips the likelihood of needing a firearm, why do you choose to tote around a gun to deal with a threat less likely than a medical emergency?

I think you and I know the answer - you like guns. Period.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. But it if medical instruments or statistical analysis was your hobby-of-choice, you may be taking diffferent precautions.
    Last edited by MadMac; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

3D
    It's non sequit U r.

Do you carry anywhere? Do you like guns?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

It's non sequit U r.

Do you carry anywhere? Do you like guns?
    Thanks for the correction. I've updated my post.

As far as "liking guns", I must admit I am not a gun hobbiest as many here. I use them, but don't consider them a hobby.

I do not carry as much as when I started. I have determined my personal risk profile does not require me to carry all the time, nor to be armed at home.

3D
    Thank you.

I'm curious about the process you use to determine "risk profile". Is it something you personally developed for your own use? - is it general enough that I (or anyone else) could use?

Thank you.

I'm curious about the process you use to determine "risk profile". Is it something you personally developed for your own use? - is it general enough that I (or anyone else) could use?
    I have a job where I work with statistical risk analysis as well as security. Here's a link to a very generic personal risk assessment model:

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Section...iskprofile.pdf

Obviously, this is far more generic and includes things like emotional risk that are not relevant for our security/safety/longevity discussions.

I like to map out various likelihoods and outcomes based on actuarial data and draw conclusions from them. I don't have something I could send along to the group here, but I would encourage everyone to look at concealed carry as only one tool for their security, safety, and longevity planning purposes.

As I have hung around here reading all the posts, it appears to me very few people actually look at their lifelong safety and longevity as a total package. Carrying a firearm around is one tool, but (IMHO), it's best viewed as just one aspect of your overall safety and security portfolio.

3D
    Again I thank you.
    Just a cursory glance, looks like I'm pretty risk inclined. [EDIT TO ADD RQ: 7.4]
    Carrying a firearm around is one tool, but (IMHO), it's best viewed as just one aspect of your overall safety and security portfolio.
    I'm in complete agreement with you on this.

Although I do not equip the place with portable 'defibs', I do mind a whole lot more than just the firearm. I have wondered if an inordinate amount of generalized non-specific fear on my part has me 'overdoing' the gun solution.

Balance is a good thing.

Again I thank you.
    Just a cursory glance, looks like I'm pretty risk inclined. [EDIT TO ADD RQ: 7.4]
    I'm in complete agreement with you on this.

Although I do not equip the place with portable 'defibs', I do mind a whole lot more than just the firearm. I have wondered if an inordinate amount of generalized non-specific fear on my part has me 'overdoing' the gun solution.Balance is a good thing.
    I appreciate this dialogue, and thank you for not dismissing my comments as simple "sheep" talk as others have done.

I bolded what I think is a key point in your latest post. Many posters here like to throw around words like "fear" and "paranoid" to debase another's argument. There is nothing wrong with an informed sense of "fear". I am fearful when I see someone driving recklessly in front of me. I am fearful when I see someone at the range mishandling their firearm. I am fearful when I see politicians willing to use our tax monies for political patronage.

I also feel many here overplay the "gun solution". I guess that's to be expected on such a board, but I still like to broaden the discussion to include the consideration of concealed carry as it complements all aspects of personal safety, protection, and longevity. Unlike many posters here, I am not a gun hobbiest. I respect those who are, and would expect it to be a fun and rewarding hobby or even occupation.

That said, if you carry a concealed carry weapon for defensive purposes, the most important topics should be when and where you would need to use it, and how to avoid those situations before you even had to resort to your ccw.

Also, I like to take the perspective of an average civilian, as I feel too much discussion centers around what LEOs, ex-LEOs, and security wonks would think/do.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Also, I like to take the perspective of an average civilian, as I feel too much discussion centers around what LEOs, ex-LEOs, and security wonks would think/do.
    Can say that again, and yes this is good dialogue, good read.

I do carry at home as my "risk profile" includes the higher than avg. risk of aggressive wildlife. Though most of the wildlife that does come around is easly ran off with loud motions and the trowing of rocks in it's direction. I really don't want to shoot anything if I don't have too. I don't like killing....never have, but I have done so when it was called for .

Edit: Just yesterday I ran off a Boxer mix type dog roaming around the end of our driveway....somebody must've dumped the poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I do carry at home as my "risk profile" includes the higher than avg. risk of aggressive wildlife. Though most of the wildlife that does come around is easly ran off with loud motions and the trowing of rocks in it's direction.
    Sounds like how I handle my mother-in-law.

3D
    . . . That said, if you carry a concealed carry weapon for defensive purposes, the most important topics should be when and where you would need to use it, and how to avoid those situations before you even had to resort to your ccw. . .
    I'm making an effort to keep on-thread-topic here but I think "where and when to use it" (including at home) would be useful. I don't need to read yet another Wal*Mart drama, or the umpty umpth LEO stop story.

To the underlined portion of your post - the sticky part, for me, about needing to use a gun in defense while at home is that I cannot avoid that situation (i.e. being at home).

I deliberately avoid dangerous people, places and situations and thereby feel more actively in control about the probable risks of a necessary gun defense while I'm out of the house. When at home I have no control about who comes to me with danger. Thus my desire to really be prepared at home.

Sounds like how I handle my mother-in-law.
    LOL...I live with mine..........

I always carry at home''''''''''home invasion""""""

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links