Hostage Situation

This is a discussion on Hostage Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fairly new to the site so I don't know what has been posted before but this one is interesting. You and your significant other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hostage Situation

Hostage Situation

I'm fairly new to the site so I don't know what has been posted before but this one is interesting.

You and your significant other are having dinner in a nice restaurant. Your better half goes to the bathroom (next to the kitchen) and stumbles into a robbery. He/she is taken hostage and the BG is trying to exit the establishment with her. Whatcha gonna do?

I'll post my response later.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by actionshooter
    You and your significant other are having dinner in a nice restaurant. Your better half goes to the bathroom (next to the kitchen) and stumbles into a robbery. He/she is taken hostage and the BG is trying to exit the establishment with her. Whatcha gonna do?
    Try to stay well clear of her line of fire; her accuracy suffers a bit when she gets that angry.

He is NOT leaving with her. We may both die, but he is NOT leaving with her. Maybe not the right answer, but what I would probably do. How will I do this? I don't know, maybe shoot her in the leg ala SPEED (POP quiz hotshot...)

Probably not a good idea, since I have 2 kids, but that's probably what would be going through my mind at the time.

My wife and I have a pre-discussed reaction. When she/I am ready to draw and fire, the "hostage" drops to the ground by what ever means possible and the other opens up, all other circumstances allowing. All other circumstances include the number of BG's, range, how held, BG weapons, other bystanders positions, lighting, what's behind the BG....the cover or concealment available...all of the other factors one needs to measure and analyze instantly.....

If not, she carries too, and is a very proficient shot......

then call 911..........

Thumbs up +1 on dropping and shooting.

My wife and I have spoke about this before and we have a code word to tell her when to drop. Worst case she throws the BG off ballance and give me a decent shot, best case she hits the ground and I have a completely clear COM shot on the BG. 1 thing is certain, if I am still breathing, she ain't going with him/them.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

Above the same for both of us. Only thing I will add is that our decision has been that we are not going to a 2nd crime scene. No one ever fairs better at a 2nd crime scene & especially women. What will happen will happen right here. Our decision includes the understanding that we may loose this gunfight but it will be while the BGs are under stress & duress rather than when they are in a controlled place of their choice where noise will not effect the outcome.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

VIP Member
    as others have said...she will NOT go with them alive

we have discussed this before and in our self defense classes we've both been trained on arms being grabbed, grabbed from behind, etc. we both carry knives and know how to use them if grabbed/held. she also knows how to ground herself and stay down so i can take shots
    as long as i'm alive they are not taking her
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got to go with pretty much everyone else on this one. She is NOT leaving there under his control.

He isn't either.

My wife is a trained martial artist (tae kwon do and judo).

I pitty the poor ******* that tries to take her hostage.

We've discussed this and her primary goal is to get to the floor as fast as possible and when she's down I open fire.

I'm with the folks above, he ain't going anywhere and my plans would be similar. A general plan with latitude for all the variables that can be encountered is good but it will also call for a level head when the SHTF. Most people never know how they will act when stuff happens. Some of us have seen the elephant and know how we react. Training under stress will be a big help. If he has harmed her in any way I might even take it personal....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator

Call the Coroner and his clean up crew.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by actionshooter
    I'm fairly new to the site so I don't know what has been posted before but this one is interesting.

I'll post my response later.
    Assuming that there are no absolute contraindications like a squad of badguys, etc, I am going to deploy deadly force without warning. No conversation with the BG is needed here. Florida the law permits the use of deadly force to prevent the commission of a forcible felony against a third party, and he is trying to commit such a felony.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

A lot of people seem pretty confident in their ability to pull off a tremendously difficult shot....

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    A lot of people seem pretty confident in their ability to pull off a tremendously difficult shot....
    I agree. A lot of powerful sentiment here, which is natural. However, his COM could well be covered with hers and the only target is his moving head right next to hers. Not to mention what direction your round would take even if you did get it into his skull. They seldom go straight after hitting bone.

That's a pretty risky shot to take even with a rifle and as far as I know would be a no-shoot for an police sniper.

I'm not doubting anyones desire or ability to protect their loved ones, but the only real way you are going to have any real chance of a good shot is for separation from the BG to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw
    original post being quoted was removed....
    Uh-huh, and who is going to protect her while you are in jail? With all due respect, that's the kind of response I expect to see on PDO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links