Defending against dangerous liquids thrown at your face?

This is a discussion on Defending against dangerous liquids thrown at your face? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's not uncommon to be in the vicinity of people in public with a cup in their hand, then all of a sudden they throw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending against dangerous liquids thrown at your face?

VIP Member

Defending against dangerous liquids thrown at your face?

It's not uncommon to be in the vicinity of people in public with a cup in their hand, then all of a sudden they throw the liquid contents (acid, bleach, gasoline) of their cup in your face/eyes and rob you of your wallet, vehicle or whatever.

I know that certain liquids/solids can be thrown around inside the jailhouse, I hadn't given much thought to dangerous liquids being used by a BG against a victim on the street. Pepper spray in the face can certainly hinder your defenses, though you aren't necessarily permenently injured from it as you might be by acid, bleach, lye or any number of other nasty chemicals.

Here's how it happened to a pizza delivery guy.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ivery_man.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    It's not uncommon to be in the vicinity of people in public with a cup in their hand, then all of a sudden they throw the liquid contents (acid, bleach, gasoline) of their cup in your face/eyes and rob you of your wallet, vehicle or whatever.

I know that certain liquids/solids can be thrown around inside the jailhouse, I hadn't given much thought to dangerous liquids being used by a BG against a victim on the street. Pepper spray in the face can certainly hinder your defenses, though you aren't necessarily permenently injured from it as you might be by acid, bleach, lye or any number of other nasty chemicals.

Here's how it happened to a pizza delivery guy.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ivery_man.html
    EYEGLASSES and especially sport/safety glasses are probably in order for folks who are at high risk of being attacked; pizza guy, other delivery folks, security guards. Nowadays they make darn nice looking (and sometimes inexpensive) eye wear which also offers eye protection.

Short of getting eye wear for the purpose, wear larger frames if at all possible with some thickness on the side stems and some wrap around to get good coverage on the sides.

I wish I knew how to post pics here. I've a pair of prescription sun glasses that gives very good protection and a pair of sports glasses with photochromic lenses which also gives very good protection. In my case I don't wear these because I fear a liquid attack or because I think I look cool in these things (I do), but because I need the protection for my one remaining good eye.

Years back I tried contact lenses and gave up on them mostly because I realized that my eyes get lots of protection from everyday hazards when I wear glasses.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    The BG is described as "4-foot, 11-inch, 309-pound Alexis." Whoa! Under 5 feet tall and a solid 3 bills!? No wonder he wanted that pie so badly.

There was a riot in Newark, DE, back around the "streaker" period, the kids had turned over a Newark PD cruiser and were taking over Main Street. They requested assistance and the DE State Police responded with all available units along with K-9 units. We pushed the rioters back down Main Street, and had just about broken up the party. We made one small mistake, we had pushed them back to the railroad tracks on the Maryland side of town, and what did they find? Rocks, lots and lots of rocks, needless to say the party started anew. Sometime during this fracas a New Castle County Officer had acid thrown on his uniform pants and he was badly burned. Someone had acid in a glass bottle and threw it, it struck a tree and hit me on the left side of my face, melted the left contact lens and burned my face. I would have probably been blinded if it had not been for U of D students passing water in large amounts from their dorm windows to Troopers who were dousing my face with water, this continued until the ambulance showed up and transported me to the emergency room where they continued dousing my eyes and face with water for over a half-hour. Then the doctor checked my eyes and said "Oh My God", something you always want to hear when they are looking at your eyes. The Doctor then said do you wear contact lenses and I told him that I did, what he was looking at was the melted contact lense in my left eye. He removed it and boy what a relief. Afterwards, I had to get glasses as I could no longer stand for contacts to be in my eyes. The State even purchased thinner contacts for me, but I couldn't stand them either. So I got glasses and went back to work. I was only off duty for about a week for my face to clear up. We did catch the individual responsible and were thankful that he had nothing to do with the U of D, he had just joined in the fracas as he had a long history with many of the police departments in the State.

Oh and regarding the OP's post, at 4'11" and 309 pounds he should not be hard to locate.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Oh and regarding the OP's post, at 4'11" and 309 pounds he should not be hard to locate.
    Or catch!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Unfortunately pepper spray is being used more by the BG's during robberies and assaults.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    No wonder he wanted that pie so badly.
    Excellent point.

BTW here's an example of some pretty good protection, but I ain't gonna do it.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

ksholder, that depends if he's on a hill, lays down and starts to roll away. He could probably get a good head of steam built up that way.

I just read this article too (being a pizza driver I keep up with these topics)
    I'd be interested to hear any other ideas on the subject.

Just another thought.... Would the bleach thrower be a justifiable shot if say, he missed, and you got a chance?

Bleach has a pretty strong smell (and I'm sensitive to smells) so I guess you should leave ASAP if you suspect anything is amiss. Course, they could just use hot coffee instead.....
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    In a similar situation here's a story about attacking someone with a syringe full of mercury.

http://www.macon.com/2011/02/12/1448...cked-with.html

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Great. Not only do I need to carry a gun, three extra high-capacity magazines, a collapsible baton, pepper spray, a knife, flashlight, and BUG (or two), now I need safety glasses?

I'm staying home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Can't defend against everything. Your life expectancy will probably improve more by driving a little slower and exercising more, than from worrying about acids and such.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Great. Not only do I need to carry a gun, three extra high-capacity magazines, a collapsible baton, pepper spray, a knife, flashlight, and BUG (or two), now I need safety glasses?

I'm staying home.
    At least a full-face splash guard won't violate FL's no-mask law... although it will really hinder my ability to ask a woman out.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Personally, I treat any syringe as a deadly threat, anything in a syringe could kill unless it was saline, I am farely certain I could articulate my fear for my life when faced with someone with a syringe, beaker full of liquid, hide my face as much as possible, evac the area, decon, and call 911
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Can't defend against everything. Your life expectancy will probably improve more by driving a little slower and exercising more, than from worrying about acids and such.
    Agreed, though I'm not personally worrying about this. I posted it as a head's-up on BG possible tactics, and something to trigger SA if need be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links