Looking for Trouble?

This is a discussion on Looking for Trouble? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thinktwice I recently read somewhere, can't remember where that if you were to hear something or see someone outside of your home, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I recently read somewhere, can't remember where that if you were to hear something or see someone outside of your home, let's say pretty late at night, and you did go outside to investigate and confronted someone , and the worse happened and you had to use your weapon to shoot this person. This article stated that a jury would most likely convict you because you went outside "looking for trouble" instead of staying in your home "safe" and calling the police. I must say I am guilty of doing just that. I have went outside on several occasions over the years if I heard a noise or my dogs starting barking a little too much. But this got me to thinking maybe it is best just to stay put and call 911. I know many of you here have done the same thing, and maybe this is something to think about.
    Well, if it seemed likely someone was out there, but you're dog barking could be anything: fight with another dog, it was cold, whatever. Going out to check on the dog instead of calling the police would be appreciated by the police I bet. And sounds reasonable to me. Plus a lot of other things, you hear the garbage can cover fall, so you go out to put it back on etc. You get surprised by a BG - well it's a surprise and you go on from there.

Anyway, this is my thinking. Maybe you could talk to an attorney knowledgeable about such things in your area for more info?

2. Remove Ads

3D
    . . "if you were to hear something or see someone outside of your home, let's say pretty late at night, and you did go outside to investigate and confronted someone" . . .
    I think you can articulate why you went outside in a way that would make sense to a "reasonable man" and not seem that you were "looking for trouble".

[However, I personnaly do not think that is the best action to take for tactical reasons.]
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    I think you can articulate why you went outside in a way that would make sense to a "reasonable man" and not seem that you were "looking for trouble".

[However, I personnaly do not think that is the best action to take for tactical reasons.]
    That's it right there. While I think in many situations there is no need to go out, if you do there is no reason to say you did it solely because you thought there were intruders.
    The barking stopped, but I was already awake... when I looked out I saw my trash knocked over (D@3% raccoons!) when I rounded the corner I was surprised to see 2 men...
    DA- Why were you armed when you went out?
    Me- I am always armed

Sled

Isn't it a shame we have to worry about the legal side of doing what we may have to do someday, I have always wondered how many real world situations could have gone bad while a good minded person was thinking to much about the legal side of this issue, instead of defending his/her self. For myself, regardless of my former training, it's still a " do what you have to do " and save your life. And worry about the legal crapola after the fact. Did you survive, win, overcome the issue with the best of intentions, if your honest, then IMHO you will be ok. Sure we hear about injustice sometimes, but more often than not, we hear that " no charges filed " comment on the boob tube. Personally I have been A Leo, and did 20 years in unkle sams' conoe club, and at home both before I was a Leo, I had a couple of situations, that warrented having a gun in hand. Both went just fine, no shots fired, and two very upset BG's. And on a side note, 1 really upset responding Officer, ( he was more concerned with me advising the dispatch 911 ops that I was armed and holding a BG for them. )
    county being withheld, I still live close. Both BG situations, turned around by me showing up with one very large shotgun in my hand, and the other was a 1911 handgun held low, not pointing at anyone, this is one very stupid Maryland law about not pointing your gun at a BG unless you have no other recourse. Who knows, this simple thing may have saved some one from the bad outcome. But I don't agree.
    Anyway, both times things came to a controlled stop, with me in charge and barking commands, now it don't hurt the situation at all that I'm a BIG guy, and me holding a shotgun in one hand like a pistol, or holding the 45 did the job intended. Total compliance with my commands. And then handing the BG's off to the local Leo's. Had to deal with the country detectives later that week. No pain, just the simple honest facts.
    So these two simple issues were resolved with simple intimidation factors of the gun in hand and how I handled myself. I still will investigate a bump in the night, even more so nowdays. But I use common sense, I call the local boys/girls first, and have them online with me so we don't run into each other snooping around the yard. One thing most non LEO's don't know, is the definition of " Crime in progress ". Believe it or not, we do want to catch the BG's, so running code three with the noise and lights, isn't how it's done, we come in quick and hopefully quiet. And observe the premises, getting feedback from our dispatch, and dispatch giving the homeowner feedback, Not the crap you hear on TV. I know I type to much, but having fun thinking about the rights that I did in my career, and the good outcomes and hope they all come out that same way, both in the civilian world and the LEO world. Remember, DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO ! And if your still alive Monday morning, then just deal with it.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Where I used to live (backwoods Alaska), I could get a police response fairly quickly: 6 hours if I was lucky, 6 days if not. Meanwhile, there was this real big and deep channel nearby, and a larger and deeper channel just a couple miles away. Loads of rocks on the beach, and the water was too cold for floaters, and a tank of gas would be a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

I wonder if that might be related to why we had so little crime?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    BTW, there's places in Alaska where you are not going to get a police response in less than a month.

While I am not saying it is a good idea, there are state statutes that allow lethal force to prevent a felony, of which burglary is one.

I also cannot see attempting to prevent criminal activity against yourself or property as "looking for trouble".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

unfortunately we are all looking for trouble and just defending ourselves at the same time.
    When you get to court the people who decide your fate may know nothing about the laws that are there to let you protect yourself. Too often it just comes down to money because more of it will buy a better lawyer.
    Wouldn't it be nice if the "Jury of your peers" had to be all CCW holders if you were being prosecuted for defending yourself with a weapon??

Sled

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey TedBeau: Hail the perp is a given. Even if it is not---who heard you or did not hear you? If, as the statute reads, he dies--it does not really matter anymore whether you hailed him or not.
    PS: As far as I am concerned, "stuff" is insurable and mine is. Stealing stuff, IMO, is not imminent danger and I have no intention of finding out how lethal the perp can be. "Stuff" can be replaced and I cannot. Outside "bump" in the night, I turn outside lights on, call 911, activate car alarm and wait in a defensive position in house. If he dares to defeat a door, he will be very sorry. Same for a "bump" inside the house where I am in my bedroom with a locked door. If he decides to defeat the door, he will be very sorry. If he gets away with "stuff", I will call my insurance company in the morning. Nothing, nada, zilch worth my life and I have no idea how many or how good the "bumpee(s)" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    BTW, there's places in Alaska where you are not going to get a police response in less than a month.
    Yeah but how many burglers have those places on their "route"?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Yeah but how many burglers have those places on their "route"?
    Now that is really scary, I bet 90% of the time you would KNOW the guy...
    That HAS to make the decision to draw that much harder.

Sled

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Where I used to live (backwoods Alaska), I could get a police response fairly quickly: 6 hours if I was lucky, 6 days if not. Meanwhile, there was this real big and deep channel nearby, and a larger and deeper channel just a couple miles away. Loads of rocks on the beach, and the water was too cold for floaters, and a tank of gas would be a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

I wonder if that might be related to why we had so little crime?
    I wonder if that might be related to why we had so little [reported] crime?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links