Looking for Trouble?

Looking for Trouble?

This is a discussion on Looking for Trouble? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently read somewhere, can't remember where that if you were to hear something or see someone outside of your home, let's say pretty late ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for Trouble?

I recently read somewhere, can't remember where that if you were to hear something or see someone outside of your home, let's say pretty late at night, and you did go outside to investigate and confronted someone , and the worse happened and you had to use your weapon to shoot this person. This article stated that a jury would most likely convict you because you went outside "looking for trouble" instead of staying in your home "safe" and calling the police. I must say I am guilty of doing just that. I have went outside on several occasions over the years if I heard a noise or my dogs starting barking a little too much. But this got me to thinking maybe it is best just to stay put and call 911. I know many of you here have done the same thing, and maybe this is something to think about.
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    When you live in the country, you can't go calling 911 everytime you hear a "bump" in the night.

I do live in the country, and agree 100% but I am wondering if a jury will see it that way?

I would only call 911 if I were positive that someone was there, not just because the dogs barked.

I believe if you were to have a problem on your property, if it were a clean shoot, you would be okay. Self defense is self defense, regardless of where it takes place. However, I think that if you know for sure someone is out there and up to no-good before going out, you would be safer to stay in the house and probably better off legally also.

Location, location, location....
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    In the city? Bad!
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 13th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here in FL, your home includes your property. In fact, you can defend yourself anywhere you have the legal right to be (stores, parking lots, backyards...). Nothing implies you can't go outside your home armed.

Thinktwice, I grew up in CLT, and I have no doubts that the CLT-Meck Co. PD would probably lean toward charges. Know your state and "Queen City" laws and ordinances.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Here in FL, your home includes your property. In fact, you can defend yourself anywhere you have the legal right to be (stores, parking lots, backyards...). Nothing implies you can't go outside your home armed.

Thinktwice, I grew up in CLT, and I have no doubts that the CLT-Meck Co. PD would probably lean toward charges. Know your state and "Queen City" laws and ordinances.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I posted about going outside the other night when my dogs was barking. I live in the country so LEO is about 30 minutes out thats if thay are not busy.
    I went and talked to them the next day and all was good. Thay said i was well in my right to protect my property. But still if you make a mistake a jury anit going to care what you was told and sometimes what the police say and the DA thinks can get you in trouble.

It would depend on the state of current self defense laws in your area I would think.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

All the more reason to read and digest "In the Gravest Extreme" by Mas Ayoob, and to take one of his MAG courses, or similar.

If, God forbid, you are involved in a shooting and it goes to trial, ultimately your side will need to articulate to the jury that you acted as a reasonable person under the circumstances. The more homework you do (in advance) that shows your knowledge of the law, competence with the tools used to defend yourself, and your ability to reason under stress, the more likely you will be to convince at least one juror that you acted reasonably given the threat that confronted you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks, you all have good valid points, and I am taking them all in.

Have you taken the North Carolina CHP class? That should have been well covered if you did. If not let me know and I'll send you the NC specific info.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I would only call 911 if I were positive that someone was there, not just because the dogs barked.
    Ditto. The dogs bark often, however I've only called the cops twice when I SAW people where they shouldn't have been. Once I could tell by looking out the window, and once I was already outside.
    In the city I'd venture that you can *probably* make the determination from the safety of your house (smaller yard) but in the country, ya gotta go look (especially if you have livestock to protect from varmints)

It would depend on the state of current self defense laws in your area I would think.
    This.
    I feel pretty good where I live. Don't think I'd live anywhere that I didn't feel confident to defend my property.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Depends on where you live. Nearest law is minimum of 45 minutes away from me--assuming they were on-duty with the truck warmed up when the call came in.

Also, don't think they'd appreciate it much if a call came in every time the dogs went off on a coon or skunk. Kind of a "boy who cried wolf" thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links