Lanes of Fire

This is a discussion on Lanes of Fire within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has probably been brought up before. If so my apologies. How many of you will sit in a restaurant or wait in line at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lanes of Fire

Lanes of Fire

This has probably been brought up before. If so my apologies.
    How many of you will sit in a restaurant or wait in line at a store and
    will try to figure out where you have a clear shot with out endangering someone? Do you look for exits? Do you look for cover?
    I do and I was wondering if this was a carry over from the Corps or do normal packers do the same thing?

Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    No apology necessary.
    I try to scope out most public places that I enter.
    I honestly tend to get a little lax about it in here my "one square mile one horse town" though since nothing ever happens here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I do. Started in hunting. I'd sit down and analyze where I can sneak a bullet between trees and stuff.

Restaurants drive my wife nuts. I will always sit with my back to a wall; never a window or door. If one can't be had, we don't eat there that time. She has learned to call ahead and make reservations and request my particular seating arrangement. She has a list of all the table numbers at places where they fit my requirement. No tables either, booths only.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    You sould always be looking for exits and cover. You don't have to constantly have your head on a swivel, though. Just make sure you know your possible placement in a SHTF scenario. I, too will take up premium positions in restaurants, but not to the extent that 10mm will. I just like to be sure that I can see every entrance and the counter. If possible, I'll sit with my carry side facing away from the entrances to keep my options open.

Yeah, don't worry, you're not alone. It just seems to me like a natural extension of being aware of ones surroundings. It's really fun if you go to eat with a few friends like you and then you all want the same seat!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    You are in good company!

I have tried to do this for a long time now - and reckon it is slightly similar to defensive bike riding, always trying to spot an escape route if something unexpected comes up.

I think this is all part of implementing good yellow condition - just being observant and analytical.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I dont even have to assess which seat has the best possible view and civer of the entrances....my wife does it automatically now..LOL! She knows where I need to sit!
    Brad B.

Lead Moderator
    Yep, I am always looking around scoping out people too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I do it too. Its always good to be aware of your surroundings. Looking for entrances/exits, potential cover, etc. is a good thing.

This practice keeps me occupied while my wife is chattering on her cell phone. It's good practice and helps me stay alert and not get lax.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont even have to assess which seat has the best possible view and civer of the entrances....my wife does it automatically now..LOL!
    Same here , and it will be in the " back " of the room , a corner if possible .. We are both former LE and she does put my back to the wall , she says I am a better shot under stress and she feels better " backing my play " than deciding on her own , besides i whine if she takes the " catbird's seat " ... wonder just what her motivation is now that i mention it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I am a lot more conscious of exits and won't sit anywhere I can't see the entrances. I also won't sit without my back against a wall unless there just isn't any other choice.

Friends

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr
    It's really fun if you go to eat with a few friends like you and then you all want the same seat!
    My friends and I have been having that debate for years. We end up settling for taking turns watching the room, the other booths, or the street depending on which table we get. We do get some funny looks from waite staff when some one sighs and says 'I guese I'll watch the street this time'.

AE

Lol - We'd all be in a real pickle if we all had an inkling for eating at the same restaurant at the same time. I'm thinking those prime locations would fill up rather quickly.

Great.....no WONDER I can't get a decent seat in a restaurant...you guys have all the good ones
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links