Re-arming at a friend's house when...

This is a discussion on Re-arming at a friend's house when... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; File this under "Carry Scenario": I go to my best friend's house from time to time. He knows I that carry and he's fine with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Re-arming at a friend's house when...

File this under "Carry Scenario":

I go to my best friend's house from time to time.

He knows I that carry and he's fine with it. He's seen my guns and held them and we've debated (along with everything else in politics) the pros and cons of the 2nd Amendment and its various effects.

So anyhoo, I'm over one night for a scheduled long night in. This is our usual evening of catching up with the day's political scene and then debating ad nauseum pretty much all night.

The women in our lives go to bed ASAP when we get going. Tax code arguments have been known to last several hours.

So since I've brought some beer with me this time (very rare), I decide that I want to dis-arm. I'll be plenty sober by the time the sun comes up (it's 2200 when I get there) and I leave, so it's a temporary measure. His girlfriend is asleep and he has no kids, so I simply unload, show clear, and place the weapon, it's magazine, and my spare mag, separately in a drawer with his permission and eyes-on knowledge.

We proceed to argue, debate, castigate, mock, deride, and in general drag the other's Political Party through the sewage that is the National Debate, and we thoroughly enjoy ourselves whilst doing so.

Eh, it's a past-time.

So morning comes, I'm sober, and it's time to go. We walk over to the drawer while finishing our standpoint statements about the crazy and silly state our country is in (due to the OTHER guy, of course) and I pull open the drawer that holds my firearm in it.

My friend reaches in (no, he doesn't drink), grabs the gun, and proceeds to make a joke that I can't even remember while making exaggerated "bang! bang!" motions with the fortunately unloaded G30.

"Is that unloaded?" I ask very quietly.

"Umm... I saw you..." he now knows that he's screwed up and has committed a major safety faux pas.

"How can you tell it's unloaded?"

"I can't."

"Put it down very carefully."

He does and I pick up the weapon and lock the slide back, beginning my ritual triple anal-retentive check prior to loading it. While I am doing this I don't raise my voice or loose my cool. I just quietly tell him that he should never, ever do that again. I value him as a friend and I even more so value his safety. The gun is not a toy, etc.

I couldn't believe that happened. My friend (and no, I'm not going to lose the one person who is basically my only friend outside of my wife over this) is long on smarts, but short on sense sometimes and I forget that he has never once shot a gun, or even handled one outside of my supervised assistance in the very distant past.

There's no question or "what if?" here I guess, just a vicarious learning experience. I suppose that I shouldn't carry a gun if I'm going to go over there and knock back a few. Or perhaps now would be a good time to take him to the range and show him what my silly little gun can do to a watermelon or three complete with a thorough lesson in basic handling techniques.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions as I'm sure that some of you may have had a similar issue.

Friends can be a real frightening experience sometimes...
    Last edited by EvilMonk; February 18th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Maybe a trip to the range and introduce him to the 'finer' points of safety and a little trigger time might be a good thing.
    I think it'd a good time AND show him that your firearm isn't a toy. Bad lasp in his judgment but this could be a chance to 'educate' him too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    A range trip sounds in order. Also, if I have to leave my weapon unsecured overnight in a situation where someone else can get to it, I use a COM safe to lock it up.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

if I have to leave my weapon unsecured overnight in a situation where someone else can get to it, I use a COM safe to lock it up.
    That's the answer to this one. The problem here is that the OP failed to maintain control of his weapon, inasmuch as he allowed an untrained person to have access to it. Leave it at home or COM safe is the preferred option.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Take him to the range. Teach him the 4 rules and show him how to unload / check a pistol.

Even is he has no interest in shooting per se, tell him it will give him a better platform to argue about guns

The life you save might be his....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Jeez, I would slap in the back of his head.... yeah, COM safe is your answer and just make sure no one knows your comb#.
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I found this thread to be very disturbing for almost every reason that is documented in the thread. With all due respect to Evil Monk and his friend, there is no other way for me to say this other than I find your actions and that of your friend to be extremely irresponsible and I am being kind with that word. No sense in responding--your initial thread says it all as you explain your way around guns, alcohol, not securing etal.

Its not illegal to drink and carry in a private residence if you have permission to be there is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Its not illegal to drink and carry in a private residence if you have permission to be there is it?
    but keep it in mind that alcohol and guns don't mix.
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

If you run into this scenario again, you could always unload your gun and re-holster it, then secure the mags in a safe place.

This way you limit your friends exposure to the gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Bad deal, luckily you unloaded and made clear before putting the gun in the drawer, some might have left the gun loaded with one in the chamber thinking they were around adults. I would definately recommend a trip to the range his girlfriend included along with your wife. Maybe you can turn him into a gun guy but at the very least teach him and her the safety and demonstrate the destructive force that little pistol can dish out.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

TVJ
    Two thoughts:

In a pinch: Keep magazine and all rounds in pocket/on person and gun in second location for the night (action open for more redundancy)

What I do: Use/get a small gun lockbox, keep in car, go to car to retreive and bring in friends house, lockdown in house, key in pocket.

With my small lockbox, I have no problem disarming, securing, and drinking with a friend.

You diffused the situational risk well when it occurred.

Small lockboxes are mighty convenient, cheap, and easy to use.

Here is one: http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...vault-300.html
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

You should have never left it out of your control. Ive ran into situations like this before and its simple. LEAVE IT IN THE HOLSTER. You are at a private rez so its not illegal to keep it on you. I understand guns and booze dont mix, but thats exactly why i would not say anything about it and keep it holstered. I trust myself even if I have a couple beers because I can control myself and not do anything stupid.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If you run into this scenario again, you could always unload your gun and re-holster it, then secure the mags in a safe place.

This way you limit your friends exposure to the gun.
    This is what I was meaning. If you cant drink and not touch your gun, you shouldnt be carrying is how I look at it. That way in case there was a worse care scenario, you could still have access to it, even though you were drinking. Think home invasion

Take him to the range, and teach him some gun safety while hands on.

If a small safe is out of the question, you could always secure the gun in the car while your there, or you could like others have suggested, unload and keep the firearm in the holster with the ammunition separate.

Or you could just leave your gun in its holster and keep your booger hooks off of it while your there. The gun would be secure, not accessible to others and assuming your not stumbling sloppy drunk, you should know better than to play around with it.

Carrying a gun is an adult decision. If folks are not capable of carrying a gun and having a beer or two and remaining an adult, they probably need to reconsider the gun and the beer. If they can remain an adult, I have no problem with them the gun or the beer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links