Doorbell at 11 PM

This is a discussion on Doorbell at 11 PM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The whole point of everything is to survive the event. When it comes to a gunfight, I still go with Wyatt Earp who was once ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doorbell at 11 PM

The whole point of everything is to survive the event. When it comes to a gunfight, I still go with Wyatt Earp who was once asked what the best way was to win a gunfight. He said, "That's easy. Don't show up." Bad guys outside, stay inside.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

Yup. Motion sensing lighting provides physical confirmation that someone or something (ie, raccoon) has entered the area. If positioned properly, you can know this at a glance without coming anywhere near your front door or showing yourself at the windows. A camera's nice, if distance or angles preclude visibility over expensive items in the driveway or yard (ie, on a ranch).

If a decent car is creating problems, is there a garage to park it in? Wherever I have lived, it seems cars in the driveway at 2am afford the greatest temptations to criminals who are driving by looking for opportunities. Such things telegraph when you're home, who's home (potentially), the value of the car and what might possibly be inside the home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sometimes you just gotta override that Curiosity Gene and NOT go outside. Hard to do, I know.... :)

I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't have shot w/o identifying your target(s). That's the first thing my dad shot me about shooting - after the Big Four Rules of Guns. One of the few times he ever used scenario based training with me was to ask "what if that was your mother or your brother rustling around in the trees and you shot them without knowing for sure what you were shooting at?"

Only thing I would tell you NOT to do is not dial 911 if it's not an obvious emergency or threat. Call the local LEO, to be sure. Just don't tie up 911 with a non-emergency.

Otherwise, glad to hear you and yours escaped w/no harm, no foul. I like stories with a happy ending.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

I would get some lights and video cameras. I have flood lights on every corner of my home and camera's that cover al sides of my home. (cameras are 40 dollars at harbor freight) my lights stay on all night. That way they aren't even tempted to come into my yard. I can record whatever is going on by pressing a button or set it up
    to record at night, all night.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Where would you suggest getting a camera? Never even gave that a thought before. I've had a motion light on the back of the house for 20+ years (original flood lamps!), but have decided to add one to front corner where cars are. Thanx for all the advice, dudes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Where would you suggest getting a camera? Never even gave that a thought before. I've had a motion light on the back of the house for 20+ years (original flood lamps!), but have decided to add one to front corner where cars are. Thanx for all the advice, dudes!
    If you don't want to drop a ton of cash check radioshack they sell basic cameras for under $100 you can just run the yellow video wire inside and hook it up to an old 19" tv or something. Had one at my front door for a few years I could see out a good 20 feet pretty clearly.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3932557

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thats why they put panic buttons on keys these days. When my dogs go nuts I keep my keys on my nightstand I just hit the panic button. I don't know if anyone has ever been out there but it sends the racoons and coyotes running away too and the dogs will quite down. I've gotten better about not keeping valuables in my pickup (especially firearms) and keeping it locked. I used to never lock my vehicle till this year. Moral of the story stay inside. Lots of good opinions stated by others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links