Code Orange Last Night!

Code Orange Last Night!

This is a discussion on Code Orange Last Night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am visiting family and friends in Costa Rica for a few weeks. So my wife and I decided to spend this weekend at my ...

Thread: Code Orange Last Night!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar

Code Orange Last Night!

I am visiting family and friends in Costa Rica for a few weeks. So my wife and I decided to spend this weekend at my parents-in-law's house. They are cool with me having a concealed carry handgun, but they are always a bit "iffy" that I bring it to the house at night and keep it in the nightstand in case SHTF. My parents in law live in a "not so safe" area of town in Costa Rica where there have been cases of car jackings and armed robberies. Also, a couple of years ago armed robbers broke into their house, tied up the maid and my sister in law and proceeded to loot the house. Anyhow, with all this in mention I ALWAYS bring a piece when I stay here.

So last night around 1:00 AM I was watching television with my brother in law (20 years old) when we hear the door bell ring. We went over by the intercom which has a video camera and I proceeded to pick up the phone and see who was there. Nobody answers. The doorbell rings again a few minutes later. Again, no answer. Then after 2 minutes...one of the perimeter sensors starts ringing and it is one of the front ones by the front gate entry. My brother in law went into "skidmark mode" so I told him to turn off the lights of the living room and kitchen and go to his parents room and to call the alarm company. I went to my room and picked up my HK USP Compact .40 S&W, a spare mag and my EDC flashlight and I put one in the chamber and decocked it. My wife notices I am picking up my gun and loading it so she FREAKS OUT, goes to wake up her sister and they all go shack up in their parents room. By this time my father in law pulled out an old double barrel 12 gauge shotgun and they are holding up in the main room.

I scanned the perimeter via several peeps through the surveillance system and from several windows, but thank God nothing was there. A few minutes later an armed security guard from the security company rings the doorbell so I go and open up. Apparently, some kids were ringing the doorbell as a prank and a tree branch blocked the perimeter sensor and activated the alarm. It was nothing.

My parents in law were EXTREMELY grateful that I had my carry piece, that I was so calm and prepared for the worst that now my father in law has requested me that I find him a new pistol and to tell him where to take shooting courses and such.

It was nothing, but I felt very confident in my training and calmness which is a good sign of proper training and self-defense awareness. Most importantly, I have learned many of this stuff by similar experiences that I have read on this forum so I wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful input.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

That is awesome. Amazing how all it takes is a false alarm to change someone's perspective on things huh?

Wish my in-laws would accept it. They are not so easy to understand though.

My hats off to you!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm curious, how are you able to carry in both Germany and Costa Rica? Do you have some kind of worldwide CCW permit? Not being sarcastic at all. Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I'm curious, how are you able to carry in both Germany and Costa Rica? Do you have some kind of worldwide CCW permit? Not being sarcastic at all. Serious question.
    I don't carry a firearm in Germany since it is illegal for me to do so (foreigner) and gun and knife laws are extremely strict. I leave my firearms in Costa Rica stored in my gun safe at my parents' house and I just take a few pocket knives that are legal in Germany, my expandable baton and a can of pepper spray. I don't feel unsafe or the need to carry in Germany at all but in Costa Rica, that is a WHOLE different story.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by deanathpc View Post
    That is awesome. Amazing how all it takes is a false alarm to change someone's perspective on things huh?

Wish my in-laws would accept it. They are not so easy to understand though.

My hats off to you!
    Thanks! Most importantly, I get to go handgun shopping for my father in law which will be super fun for me!!! He is of German descent so he told me to stick only with Sig Sauer, Walther or Heckler & Koch and in 9mm. I think I will buy him either a Sig Sauer P226, a Walther P99 or an HK P30.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I don't carry a firearm in Germany since it is illegal for me to do so (foreigner) and gun and knife laws are extremely strict. I leave my firearms in Costa Rica stored in my gun safe at my parents' house and I just take a few pocket knives that are legal in Germany, my expandable baton and a can of pepper spray. I don't feel unsafe or the need to carry in Germany at all but in Costa Rica, that is a WHOLE different story.
    Interesting. So are you in the military? Is that why you're in Germany? Are you originally from the US or CR?

Yeah I was wondering about the CCW laws especially in Costa Rica. I kind of figured they would be really restrictive.

Hey alachner, I have friends there and visited several "armerias" (gun shops) during my last visit to San Jose just to see what was available and how expensive guns were. Picked up a full-auto knife for like 8 bucks and was also considering a baton but guns are 2-300 more than in the states, saw mostly German makes. The list of red-tape involved to buy one is quite extensive, don't they even make you take some type of psychological exam or test? Anyway it seems to me laws protect the criminals down there and you are guilty until proven innocent even in the case of self-defense. Here's some info I sent to my friend after a few home invasions in his area- http://costaricablogger.com/files/11...iew_092008.pdf
    PS
    they changed the law last year I think that ONLY permanent residents and citizens can now own firearms, not good news for all the perpetual tourists.

Interesting. So are you in the military? Is that why you're in Germany? Are you originally from the US or CR?
    No, I'm not military and I am originally from Costa Rica but I went to school in the US (University of Texas). I am getting an MBA in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c4me View Post
    Hey alachner, I have friends there and visited several "armerias" (gun shops) during my last visit to San Jose just to see what was available and how expensive guns were. Picked up a full-auto knife for like 8 bucks and was also considering a baton but guns are 2-300 more than in the states, saw mostly German makes. The list of red-tape involved to buy one is quite extensive, don't they even make you take some type of psychological exam or test? Anyway it seems to me laws protect the criminals down there and you are guilty until proven innocent even in the case of self-defense. Here's some info I sent to my friend after a few home invasions in his area- http://costaricablogger.com/files/11...iew_092008.pdf
    PS
    they changed the law last year I think that ONLY permanent residents and citizens can now own firearms, not good news for all the perpetual tourists.
    Yes, firearms in Costa Rica are VERY expensive in comparison to the United States. For example: a Glock 26 sells for $1,100, a Walther P99 for $1,250, a Sig Sauer P226 for $1,800, a Mossberg 590A1 for $1,250, a Remington 700 SPS .308W for $3,000 and an AR-15 for $4,000. In order to buy a firearm in Costa Rica, you must be Citizen or Permanent Resident, you have to take a psychological exam, pass a firearms handling exam (written and shooting), provide a copy of your criminal background check and submit your fingerprints to the Office of Firearms and Explosives (Costa Rica's ATF). You are allowed to register as many firearms as you want for hunting, sport or recreation (.45 ACP/44 Magnum is the maximum caliber for handguns, 12 gauge for shotguns and .338 Lapua for rifles), but you can only register 3 handguns for concealed carry. The only good news is that we can open carry and concealed carry (whatever you want), you can carry all 3 concealed carry firearms at the same time if you want, ammo is not very expensive, you are allowed to reload your ammo, and there are no restrictions with regards to knives, pepper spray, tasers or expandable batons. The local gun shops sell the following firearm brands: Sig Sauer, Glock, H&K, CZ, Kel-Tec, Beretta, Tanfoglio, S&W, Bersa, Taurus, Charter Arms, Sarsilmaz, FNH, Mossberg, Fabarm, Remington, STI, Hatsan, Kimber, Marlin, Ruger, Maverick, Benelli, Bushmaster and Springfield Armory. The brands not available here are Kahr, Wilson Combat, Para Ordnance, Desert Eagle, Rock River Arms and a few others.

The laws in Costa Rica don't protect criminals, but the problem is that the laws in Costa Rica are very soft in comparison to the US and many European countries so there are many petty crimes for which criminals are not sentenced and many "loop holes" by which they are also set free. The government is currently working on that. Also, we have a lot of drug smuggling that goes through here on the way to the US so there is a lot of corruption, money laundering and automatic rifles (AK-47's, AR-15's, UZI's, etc.) in the hands of criminals. The law does protect you very efficiently with regards to self-defense as we have a specific law designed for that so that is a good thing.

We are right now battling with Congress since they want to impose a gun law which would restrict heavily the possession of firearms. Basically, they want to impose more requisites, reduce the amount of firearms to only 1 per citizen and restrict calibers to 9mm and below for handguns and rifles up to .223 Remington. We have a Firearms forum (in Spanish) ArmasCr.com where all firearms owners in Costa Rica discuss topics such as found here and we are joining up together to protect our right to bear arms and protect our families. We have managed to gain support from one of the opposition political parties in Congress and we are working hard to win the public's opinion via an advertisement campaign, using social networks to provide information and viral marketing to spread the word quickly.

In conclusion, we are not doing so well down here with regards to crime control, government support and our right to bear arms is in the process of being demolished so feel very happy to be in the US, cherish your guns and buy as many as you can and while you can.

While we squabble amongst ourselves over: carry methods, open or concealed; which is the better weapon, the AK or the AR, IWB or OWB, and all our little drivels... Alachner makes one point we all need to heed...

"...feel very hapy to be in the U.S., cherish your guns..."

Thaks for your post Alachner...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oakchas - You are welcome buddy! I try to post comments like these every now and then because sometimes I feel that people in the U.S. don't value how good they have it in their own country. Sometimes I get irritated when people spend all their time debating furiously over carry methods, guns, gear, ammo, etc. when they should just enjoy the fact that they can purchase firearms easily, at a very low price and most importantly, their rights are properly protected by the U.S. Constitution.

If you feel we have it bad here in Costa Rica, you have no idea how bad they have it in Germany, Sweden, the UK, Mexico and Australia among others. People in those countries are completely restricted to possess firearms and are at the mercy of dangerous and violent criminals. I feel especially sorry for the citizens of Mexico because their country is plagued by drugs, cartels, gangs, illegal firearms and corruption, but they still have some of the strictest gun laws in the World. Therefore, they have to cross their arms and watch defenseless as people are daily being murdered, kidnapped, raped and drug cartels rule the country with their money and power.

I don't care what of kind of restrictive gun laws they pass in the future here in Costa Rica, if they want my firearms they will have to pry them away from my cold dead hands!!!!

I wonder if a US citizen can carry their registered firearms in Costa Rica.
    One more step and it's on!

Links