Trip report, our weekend in New Orleans- 11 were shot/6 murdered

This is a discussion on Trip report, our weekend in New Orleans- 11 were shot/6 murdered within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I have been going to New Orleans once or twice a year for a LONG time. This past weekend we went down ...

Thread: Trip report, our weekend in New Orleans- 11 were shot/6 murdered

VIP Member

My wife and I have been going to New Orleans once or twice a year for a LONG time. This past weekend we went down there to attend a wedding, here's a short trip report.

Friday
    We arrived in New Orleans about 1 pm, and by way of GPS went to and had lunch at a famous Po-Boy place we'd never been to before. It was very crowded, barely could find a place to park, lot's of people, great weather, great food. I only carried my LCP in my pocket, I had my eyes wide open, but certainly did not feel or see anything threatening or worrisome while we were there.

Drove to our hotel located in the Business District. Either you self-park somewhere or valet. We pulled off to the side of the street in front of the hotel, got out our bags and let the valet guys take the car.

That night we had a party to attend near the Garden District, used the GPS to find the address and only about a 15 minute drive. We parked on the street in a residential neighborhood about two houses away at about 6:30 pm. Expecting lots of hugging, I decided to stay with the pocket LCP but added my Surefire and OC spray in my other pocket. We had a great time, left the home at about 10 pm, scanned the street well, not a person in sight. Made the short walk to our car and made the uneventful 15 minute drive back to the valet, then in for the night.

Saturday
    Up pretty early and outside to walk to a nearby neighborhood restaurant for breakfast. Pocket carried LCP again. Not many people out this early, I did see a couple of guys who "may" have been homeless types talking to each other. We had no contact whatsoever, walked to the restaurant, ate and walked back to the hotel. Uneventful.

We decided to go to the WWII Museum. Valet brought out the car we got there about 9:30 am. Lot's of people visiting it, they've expanded it with a movie theatre. I think the show is called "Beyond No Boundaries", very well-done WWII narrative with many surprises. If you've never been it's worth seeing, try to dedicate most of a day to it all. BTW the third Saturday of each month there are re-enactors outside dressed in WWII stuff and represent soldiers from America, Germany, Britain and Russia. No fighting among themselves, just milling around the re-built jeep and truck and chatting with the visitors.

Drove back to the hotel, visited with friends there and got ready for the 6:00 pm wedding that evening. Took the car back out, guided by the GPS to the church for the wedding, parked on the street nearby almost dusk. Due to church carry law, I took only the OC spray and Surefire. It was a short walk, well-lighted, NOPD nearby. After the ceremony walked to my car, and drove back to the hotel as the reception was conveniently across the street from the hotel.

Had a great time at the reception (you NO folks know how to party). It was inside a rented facility with security guards at the gate eyeing everyone as they came in. Left there about 10:30 pm we headed to our room; others left and walked down to a neighborhood bar to continue the night, they walked back to the hotel about 2:30 am. Uneventful for all of us

Sunday
    Got up early, went downstairs at the hotel for the "free" breakfast, visited with friends, along with saying goodbyes. Called for the valet, loaded up our stuff and hit the Interstate headed for a short stopover in Baton Rouge, then headed home. So that's the end of this thankfully boring report.

We go to New Orleans once or twice a year on average, and we've been doing this for a long time and we've never had any trouble whatsoever. Oh someone wanted to "bet me about my shoes", or someone wanted a quarter, but essentially no problems over the course of many years.

Granted I know that problems can occur. DC members here have previously stated they'd never go back and they've been robbed, etc and I don't doubt them at all. If you are uncomfortable about going to NO, by all means don't go. I'm not on the tourist commission so I'm not pushing anything on anyone. I'm only relating my experience, I have no idea, and make no inference as to why someone else had problems.

I will say that I think our good fortune (at least so far) has been due to:
    1. Don't stay out too late (about 10 pm is our exit time for getting back)
    2. Don't go in a bad part of town, stay in high tourist areas, walk with crowds.
    3. Don't get drunk. Look sharp/stay sharp.
    4. Enjoy yourself but don't let up on your SA whatsoever.
    5. Use valet parking when possible.

Ignoring any of the 1-5 above are bad enough by themselves, but when you ignore and violate those rules in multiples you will likely find trouble. BTW everyone we met were all very friendly/helpful. The hotel management does a good job keeping undesirables away from the hotel, and for good reason......it's bad for business.

This past weekend I never saw or heard of any problems, when I got back home I read some internet news and here's what happened in NO when we were there.

11 SHOT, 6 MURDERED DURING VIOLENT WEEKEND IN NEW ORLEANS
    NEW ORLEANS – Eleven people were shot, six of whom were murdered, during a particularly violent weekend that spilled into early Monday morning in New Orleans.

The latest shooting happened around 1 a.m. at a night club in the 3200 block of Tulane Ave. Police said two people were shot and taken to a local hospital where their conditions were unknown.

Hours earlier, two men were shot in New Orleans East in a parking lot of an apartment complex at Bundy and Dwyer roads. Police found a 27-year-old man shot several times lying on the sidewalk and a 25-year-old with a gunshot wound to the leg. The 27-year-old was pronounced dead on the scene while the 25-year-old was taken to a hospital where he’s listed in stable condition.

Early Sunday evening, a 21-year-old man was murdered in the St. Claude neighborhood. Police found him lying in the street in the 3200 block of Marais Street. Paramedics couldn’t revive him when they arrived.

Police also responded to a shooting across the street from police headquarters near Gravier and Broad streets. Warren Turner, 27, was downed in a parking lot and later died at the hospital of his wounds.

The other shootings happened in the 7th Ward and St. Roch with two other murders in the St. Claude neighborhood.

Police have not released any suspects of motives in any of the shootings and are asking that anyone with information call Crimestoppers at 822-1111.

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    glad you had a fun safe trip...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Hey PPK I am thinking of going to NO this summer for a trip with my family, could you provide me with the places to go and stay. I am thinking about staying for a week, is that too long? Are there enough things for little kids to do? PM if you can.
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I know all I need to know about NOLA from "COPS" and the Katrina news coverage. I do NOT want to interact with NOLA LEOs, Mardi Gras tourists or citizens in any fashion.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I used to get horror stories of some of my former Army buds' outings in "Nawlins" (was stationed @ Ft. Polk). Stationed in La for 6 yrs and STILL have yet to see NO.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I know all I need to know about NOLA from "COPS" and the Katrina news coverage. I do NOT want to interact with NOLA LEOs, Mardi Gras tourists or citizens in any fashion.
    I know what you're saying, actually I've never been to NO for Mardi Gras, though I've been to MG in other parts of the state (great fun). Restrooms are in short supply during MG, when my son was in college, of course they went to MG, he said his white tennis shoes were nearly black from the street funk...........TOXIC........UGH

You are probably like me, I don't care to be in crowds, it reminds me too much of a herd of cattle.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Agreed.

When I was younger I was all about going to MG at both NoLA and Brasil; 'Some day when I can afford it!'.
    Now that I can afford to do so I have zero interest, as singularly related to personal security. : |

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, I'm a South Louisiana Boy........and I'll say your all right about your feelings concerning N.O.
    Done plenty of M.G.'s, parties, business, and days off just hanging around. It's a beautiful, dangerous, fun, scary, and absolutly delicious!
    PPK's five rules are great guidelines to follow just about anywhere.....and that was a great post of an outstanding weekend!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    It's a beautiful, dangerous, fun, scary, and absolutly delicious !
    True dat !

I like visiting New Orleans as well. It is a fun, yet dangerous, town. I would endorse your five rules for nearly every travel experience. I'll often go out with colleagues or business guests and have a few drinks before/after dinner when I'm on travel. I'll usually go out with a group. However, I'll also ensure I am in my room before 11:00 pm. Once it gets later, there's often a different group out on the streets.

I'll confine my "partying" to the hotel or someplace in a well-lit, upscale area. I'll take taxis directly to/from the venue if needed. If I have drinks, I am unarmed, so I need to rely on the rules you cited, plus a few extra ones of my own.

As you noted, those violent events and bloody weekends will likely only be known to you from news reports.
    Last edited by MadMac; February 23rd, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'll take taxis directly to/from the venue if needed.
    Good point.

5. Use valet parking or taxis when possible

I could say the same for my recent Chicago trip, except since I flew, my only weapon was a nasty little flashlight.

I like to carry, but won't let it stop me from enjoying life.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Links