Blocked on Bridge or Dont Honk - Page 2

Blocked on Bridge or Dont Honk

This is a discussion on Blocked on Bridge or Dont Honk within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Have someone else in the car call 911. Stay in the vehicle, OC in one hand, other hand on my gun. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blocked on Bridge or Dont Honk

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Have someone else in the car call 911. Stay in the vehicle, OC in one hand, other hand on my gun. Escalate as necessary to meet the level of force exhibited.

Provide defensive driving lessons for the girl.
    ^^ this
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

The car is much stronger than their hands, let them punch it and call 911

Doesn't FL have a stand your ground law? Granted I don't think I would shoot someone over something like that, but, wouldn't you be justified in doing so if he got past the glass?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mongovb View Post
    Doesn't FL have a stand your ground law? Granted I don't think I would shoot someone over something like that, but, wouldn't you be justified in doing so if he got past the glass?
    Yes, once he/they force entry or break into your vehicle, you're good to go (legally).
    Last edited by sigmanluke; March 1st, 2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A lot of good responses and definitely some food for thought. They did call 911 and stayed on the line with them. They gave the license number and vehicle description. As they got across the bridge the guys in the Blazer started giving another guy, in an F350, some guff. The Blazer veered off and the F350 crossed a traffic island to go after the punks. That is when the police showed up. Some how they managed to loose the blazer. The police said that there was not much they could do at that point. Both the girl driving and my son had left the pepper spray that I had given them ,for Christmas, at the dorm. The son had even left his new Kershaw Leek. Like most of the posts, I believe I would have had one hand on my 642 while advising them to back off. If the glass breaks all bets are off. Someone would get hurt. I am just glad that this ended well. The student loans are bleeding me like a giant leach on my back. I sure don't need any lawyer or hospital bills at this time. Hopefully this real life incident gives us something to think about and be better prepared. One piece of advice I told the kids was to make sure you can see the rear tires of the car in front of you , when you stop. That will give you enough room to go around if need be. Be safe, NH

Is your son attending a state college or university? If so, encourage him to establish residency here in FL. It isn't difficult, and results in significant higher education savings. FL is a great place for education at a great price - if you're a resident.

Quote Originally Posted by mongovb View Post
    Yup. If he broke the window, you may shoot.

For me: dial 911 first, put them on speakerphone. I'm assuming we're working on the assumption that we're in my vehicle. I will draw the moment I feel like they're trying to enter my vehicle, because I have a Jeep with a soft top and it wouldn't take much effort to get in.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Double post correction

Staying in the car is a good idea. Looking at it from a private citizen point , I would have done the same. Car insurance deductables for damage are much , much cheaper than hospital, funeral, or legal fees.

An alternative would have been to offer up the stupid girl who started the mess as an appeasement sacrifice, lol.

Paul34, believe me I have looked into it. I was told personally that once he is listed as an out a stater he must prove that he is in the state for a reason other than going to school. I told him to go down to the nearest old folks home and offer some ol gal a hundred bucks to marry him :). Other than that he would have to have a full time job and live off campus for a year to even be considered. And Glockman10mm, what can I say to that :)

First dial 911 and report the situation (road Rage w/ possibility of personal injury to myself), second draw weapon and bring to low ready in vehicle and wait to see what force is needed. If mys safety is compromised my weapon is brought to meet the threat and fired if the situation is warranted then I wait for the Police on side of road to further discuss incident.
    One more step and it's on!

I actually had this happen to me a few years ago. One lane county road, car stopped blocking the road. I honked and a big lumberjack of a man got out. he got to my car before i could even think to lock the doors. He opened my door reached in and slapped me. I was only 18 at the time so I did not have my CPL. I was on the way home from a buddies house where we had been working on our Demo derby cars so I had a can of carburetor cleaner in the center console. I gave that guy a good blast right in the face. It worked and he got back into his car. I would have much rather been armed or at least had OC but that carb cleaner worked good.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The reporters on the local news station often caution "snow birds" about escalating a road rage incident because, as they put it, you never know who might be carrying a gun and crazy or angry enough to use it. Carrying a gun is reason enough to have almost saintly restraint, but if circumstances dictate, be prepared to act.

Have someone else in the car call 911. Stay in the vehicle, OC in one hand, other hand on my gun. Escalate as necessary to meet the level of force exhibited.

Provide defensive driving lessons for the girl.

Absolutely !

The advice to always leave enough space between you and the vehicle infront of you so that you have room to pull around them is excellent advice.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The advice to always leave enough space between you and the vehicle infront of you so that you have room to pull around them is excellent advice.
    I think the problem is they were probably cockeyed so there was not room on either side to actually go around. That's the impression I get anyway.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links