You're not my daddy...

You're not my daddy...

This is a discussion on You're not my daddy... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are sitting in a starbucks enjoying a good brew when a man walks in, well dressed, white or black does not matter, with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're not my daddy...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

You're not my daddy...

You are sitting in a starbucks enjoying a good brew when a man walks in, well dressed, white or black does not matter, with a child. All seems well but the man has a angry look on his face and the child has a black eye starting to form on their face. Obviously the two may nor correlate depending on time of day, how the child is acting towards the man, etc. etc. It is possible that the child got in a fight at school and the father is angry about it. Lets say for arguments sake the child is below school age. 2-3 years old. Now that takes care of that variable. The man and the child go sit down and the child starts crying. Now you notice the mans mannerisms are not that of caring parent. He becomes slightly more agitated and begins shaking his finger in the face of the child and you can hear his hushed threats of violence. Then you hear him say, you have no reason to cry, stop crying or ill give you a reason to cry. The child stops crying and the man finishes his drink, and tosses the cup away and the child resists going out the door screaming no, help, no, you not dad, you not daddy. The man then yanks on the childs arm and drags him/her out the door of the Starbucks. What do you do. Do you stop him, report him, or just watch? What is your choice of action. How would your reaction differ if it were a woman as the antagonist?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Get a plate number. Retrieve and protect that coffe cup for DNA gather as much information as possible while calling 911 include vehicle description and direction of travel and hope and pray you saw it all wrong.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Call 911. CSI the coffeee cup? Nah... Plate/vehicle description.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Plates, and description, and call 911. No way to know what's going on, could be a stepdad, an uncle, or a family friend who was asked to pick the kid up. Doesn't matter if the adult is male or female, same response.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Plates, and description, and call 911. No way to know what's going on, could be a stepdad, an uncle, or a family friend who was asked to pick the kid up. Doesn't matter if the adult is male or female, same response.
    Well put. Who knows what's going on in that type of situation? Just because you are carrying a gun doesn't mean that you need to intervene. If you do, the situation is almost guaranteed to go downhill.

As a step-father of 2 stepdaughters, I can't begin to remember how many times, when something didn't sit right with them as youngsters, they shouted, "You're NOT my Dad!". My biological daughter even did it to me a couple times in Walmart just because she's extremely mischievious. Of course they only did it because they were upset, and 15 min. later, everything was fine.

I'm just saying, appearances can be deceiving.

In your scenerio, you said it was a Starbucks. That alone would lead me to believe it wasn't an abduction. Someone abducting a child, doesn't stop off at a Starbucks, and leisurely knock down a cup of coffee, with lots of witnesses around, but I suppose it is POSSIBLE. If you would have said a convenience store, at an odd hour at night, that would be more suspicious to me.

You may remember the incident a while back, at a Hardees, in ID I think, where an abducted girl was rescued. In that case, employees stalled the two, while they waited for LEOs to arrive. However, in that case, there was a nationwide alert for the girl.

I don't know, it's a tough call. Tag number and vehicle description is a good idea. That way, if you hear on the news, of an abduction matching the description, you have info for police.

Good discussion, I like this type of "what-if" thing.

Just because we are armed legally we are not LEOs, any action other than collecting plate number, person and vehicle description and finally calling 911 will only land you in legal trouble, intervention is not grounds for using your weapon/deadly force except to stop a killing or grave bodily harm situation.

I would bet that intervention by a CC person will result in arrest/jail/mucho legal problems, in almost all situations of this type.

YMMV The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

I would call 911 and start to give a description of the man/child/car with license plate number, while I slipped around and cut as many valve stems off the tires as I could before they got out of the parking lot. Then when the guy got out of the car I would keep him covered with my drawn weapon until the cops got there. When the cops showed up I would flash my CHL badge and point to my neon green CHL sash to make sure they knew I was the good guy, and then wait for the mayor to call me and present me with a key to the city for my actions.

Ok, maybe I would just stop at the description of the two and license plate number to 911. I really wouldn't expect an abductor to be at starbucks drinking a cup of joe but then again, who knows. Oh, did I mention I don't go to Starbucks, or even drink coffee, so I will substitute any of X restuarants and whatever drink into the scenario.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would call 911 and start to give a description of the man/child/car with license plate number, while I slipped around and cut as many valve stems off the tires as I could before they got out of the parking lot. Then when the guy got out of the car I would keep him covered with my drawn weapon until the cops got there. When the cops showed up I would flash my CHL badge and point to my neon green CHL sash to make sure they knew I was the good guy, and then wait for the mayor to call me and present me with a key to the city for my actions.

You had me going until I got the the "badge" part! Very funny! LMAO

VIP Member
    In your scenerio, you said it was a Starbucks. That alone would lead me to believe it wasn't an abduction. Someone abducting a child, doesn't stop off at a Starbucks, and leisurely knock down a cup of coffee, with lots of witnesses around, but I suppose it is POSSIBLE. If you would have said a convenience store, at an odd hour at night, that would be more suspicious to me
    This ^^^. I'm a parent of 3. Kids get black eyes for a million things. My 3 yr. old daughter fell off her chair today and hurt her wrist while eating her lunch. How did she fall? Who knows, she's three and has a talent for falling. So the black eye thing means nothing. I mean it REALLY means nothing.

I have told my kids on more than one occasion that if they keep it up I will give them something to cry about. Caring parents get mad too.

I really don't think I would react at all to this scenario. OTOH if I saw the man get OVERLY physical with the kid I would act according to what I felt necessary at the time. Either hands on or 911.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

My youngest daughter was sitting in the kid seat of the shopping cart in Walmart. Out of nowhere she just starts yelling, "Help! Help me! Help!" IIRC there may have been some not so veiled threats of punishment that followed that too. The same one is going to school tomorrow with what looks to be a very nice shiner under her eye. She got whacked playing on the trampoline today. Kids are quite the experience, and because I am living through that experience I would get descriptions and tag numbers and call the cops to figure it out.

Anyone remember the divorced dad that got laid out by one of ours last year? Showed up, grabbed the girl, she starts screaming and the coach took him down with a SAP and the other coach was covering him with her EDC IIRC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Get a plate number. Retrieve and protect that coffe cup for DNA gather as much information as possible while calling 911 include vehicle description and direction of travel and hope and pray you saw it all wrong.
    Someone was watching a little too much CSI. Call 911 and let the police handle forensics, by you touching the cup you could contaminate the evidence and make it admissible in court, as it wasn't first collected by a trained police person. Stick to what ya know.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Ok, maybe I would just stop at the description of the two and license plate number to 911. I really wouldn't expect an abductor to be at starbucks drinking a cup of joe but then again, who knows. Oh, did I mention I don't go to Starbucks, or even drink coffee, so I will substitute any of X restuarants and whatever drink into the scenario.
    LMAO.... oh, and plus one on the real response... I might just get a plate number and focus on being able to describe the pair and the vehicle without actually calling 911 though.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Little kids get bumps and bruises all the time. When I spend a weekend with my two year old nephew by sunday we both look like we have been thrown in a wood chipper.

Get the plate number and description. Now if I see someone beating a kid thats a whole new ball game. I'm all for spanking but beat a woman or a kid and you will get one back I know I've seen me do it.

This thread has nothing to do with a ccw scenario. Why is it here?

Kill it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links