Shotgun blast, teacher robbed in classroom tonight

This is a discussion on Shotgun blast, teacher robbed in classroom tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As our nightly class settled in and the instructor began talking we heard some commotion in the hallway, the door swings open and I see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun blast, teacher robbed in classroom tonight

As our nightly class settled in and the instructor began talking we heard some commotion in the hallway, the door swings open and I see a shotgun blast BOOM! towards the floor.The guy racks the gun and runs over to the instructor screaming something (I think "gimme your wallet!") then bolts out the double doors on the other front side of the classroom where he heads out an exit, jumps into a vehicle and takes off. 35 classmates are in shock, the smell of gun powder fills the room, this all happened in about 15 seconds. I thought where's my weapon...in my car. We are then told to write down the BG's description- race, age, height, weight, hair, clothes, shoes, etc... what was the vehicle.. We hear a siren as a police cruiser pulls up and an officer runs in asking for details.
    Tonight's class was at the Police Academy, a one week citizens course that gets better every night (later we got to use the firearms training simulator, I did well and didn't even shoot the potential bad guy that pulled a cell phone and pointed it at me).

Perhaps we should have known something like this might be on the agenda but nobody was expecting it, a dramatic lesson. I was dropping to one knee from my chair to duck down after the blast so didn't get much of a view of the BG, only a couple people seated by the back door realized he actually exited the building from another door and took off in a pickup.
    A good lesson in an adrenalin-filled situation, especially for me since I talk about situational awareness, being prepared and have read about being a "good witness". It showed just how fast something serious can go down. What if it happens for real in a store, on the street, in my driveway... Will I even have time to react, much less THINK... or take mental notes?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    perfect example of how well gun free zones work. Had this been a real scenario and you were allowed to be legally armed, you wouldn't had to sit there and wait to die. you would have been able to do something.

I am so glad this is my last semester of college. I can't stand feeling so vulnerable.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    good lesson to learn, i think i understand why you were asked to leave your weapon in the car, otherwise this little lesson in observing someones face and description while under pressure may have turned into a dead player and with you in cuffs getting charged with murder. I am correct in assuming this was part of the lesson plan correct?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by 9c4me View Post
    Tonight's class was at the Police Academy, a one week citizens course that gets better every night ...
    Our local Sheriff's office runs much the same sort of "Citizens' Academy" as well. It's tremendously popular and, I think, fairly successful at helping people to see what really goes on. In our local example, we too had access to the force-on-force room, the firearms simulator room, and other facilities for demonstrations, as well has having several evenings of such eye-openers. Well worth the few evenings.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is why when LEO's interview witnesses they get a lot of conflicting statements,we had one when I was going thru training where a guy ran into class grabbed a purse and ran out, half the classstarted heading for the door to take the guy down when we were stopped,then we were asked to describe the suspect
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    good lesson to learn, i think i understand why you were asked to leave your weapon in the car, otherwise this little lesson in observing someones face and description while under pressure may have turned into a dead player and with you in cuffs getting charged with murder. I am correct in assuming this was part of the lesson plan correct?
    Murder? Do you know the definition of murder?

Plus, given the totality of circumstances, I don't think it would be as dire as you believe....but I bet they wouldn't pull this stunt again. What lesson is it supposed to enforce? The fact that crime happens randomly and without warning and at anytime or any place? IMO, they need to run this drill in the state legislatures (like NY, NJ, IL, CA, MD for starters) to show lawmakers that police can't be everywhere all the time to "protect"....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good idea, but I can see many LEO officials becoming unemployed after a stunt like that, and if not LEO, the parties responsible for the scare tactic to prove a point would be cuffed and stuffed, then filed away for a very long time for making the lawmakers soil their panties.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'd never heard of it until our neighborhood association sent out a notice, highly recommended if your city offers it and you even think you have an interest. 2 hrs. for 6 or 7 nights and half/day Sat., and it's free.
    NCPAA_Welcome or search Citizens Police Academy for your city.
    Tried to get some friends to commit but none did- now that they hear how interesting, informative and fun it is every night they regret not signing up. Tonight's my ride-along in a patrol car and tomorrow 4 hrs. at the police pistol range, we get to put a few rounds downrange after a firearms safety class and there will be demonstrations by the SWAT team and bomb squad.

I find it strange that the teacher was the only one that was robbed. I wonder what made the robber not instruct everyone in the class to hand over their valuables and wallets?

Just recently, fairly close to my house on a well travelled street alongside an interstate, a individual feigned distress. Four good samaritans stopped to give assistance. Little did they know that it was an ambush and that upwards of ten individuals were waiting to rob anyone that stopped. So, all four individuals were relieved of their property, however, I am not sure if they stole the cars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KTCameraman View Post
    I find it strange that the teacher was the only one that was robbed. I wonder what made the robber not instruct everyone in the class to hand over their valuables and wallets?
    Having the guy spend 10 minutes talking in front of the class while he collected valuables would kind of defeat the purpose of intending to show how easy it is to miss important information when surprise and adrenaline are in play.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

I think maybe KTCameraman didn't catch that this was a staged scenario by the instructors in a police academy classroom. The bad guy was an officer in disguise wearing a wig and baggy clothes, he was in and out of the room in probably 10 seconds so yes there were some differences in what each of us saw, or thought we saw.

Wow. That would have been scary.

You guys have all the fun, sounds pretty cool.

That does sound pretty interesting and I see the point. But it sure is taking a chance that no one will try to do something to try to intervene.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I would presume that the actor is doing this with full knowledge that someone may do something, and they have done their best to make sure everyone is unarmed, so hopefully the most it will be is a few hits before the officers outside the classroom and instructor intervene.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links