Men in the house after Vacation (real)

This is a discussion on Men in the house after Vacation (real) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it wasn't me but my Aunt, and Uncle. They come home from a week long vacation, and they were unpacking the car. My aunt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Men in the house after Vacation (real)

Men in the house after Vacation (real)

Well, it wasn't me but my Aunt, and Uncle. They come home from a week long vacation, and they were unpacking the car. My aunt walks into her kitchen, and that's when she thought she saw “movement” out of the corner of her eye. She thought it was the lady watching her house for her, but when she turned around there was a young man 22-25 staring at her with a gun in his hand! She turned around and starting running for the door, and he yelled for her to stop. She kept running... He yelled again "Stop or I'll kill you!" and she then heard him slide the rack on his pistol. She stopped running and thought to herself. "This is going to hurt when I get shot." Weird thing to think about but that’s what she told me. He demanded her purse, which she gave to him readily and told him take whatever you want, and get out of here. He then called for a friend that was in the basement, and they both took off without further incident. This scenario played out in real life, last Sunday evening in a “nice part of town” and it was still light outside! When the cops got there, they found her purse and a change of clothes in the ally beside her house.

Now what I wonder to myself is, what I, or any of you would have done in that same situation? The guy already has the gun out and is trained on you, would faking a heart attack or passing out or something like that, and then “drawing while acting / falling down” be a good tactic? Or would you just shut up, do what his says, and wait for a better opportunity if he continues rather then just grabbing a purse and running off? Even if I did get the first bad guy, I never would have known about the "guy in the basement"

Even though it didn’t happen to me, it happened to family members, and I have run this scenario over and over again in my head, without any real good ideas.

Any thoughts?
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Hard to say what I would have done. alot would have depended on the guys demenor. If he was reaching to rack the slide I probably would have
    1. attempt to disarm
    2.or gain distance while drawing
    At any rate a good reminder to
    1. maintain cond. yellow
    2. assume there will be more than 1 possible threat.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have one slight advantage in that my dog would have been in front of me. She's not an attack dog but I would have know something was wrong before even seeing this guy and had my gun drawn. I would have exited at that point, called 911, and driven a safe distance away if possible.

If that was not possible and the guy came into view, the moment I saw the gun I would have been ducking, moving, and shooting the creep. Hopefully he would have been suprised while I had the advantage of knowing something was wrong from my dog's behavior.

I also would assume more than one in the house until LE clears the place.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Very tricky situation - more so when it turns out there is an accomplice.

I do - however paranoid it sounds - treat every return into my house as a potential for finding an intruder - by which I mean I am in heightened alert and very watchful. It's just a routine despite it being very unlikely I'd find anyone.

Probably the only way your Aunt could have had a better chance was being similarly hyper alert and being armed. The latter I assume not the case, and the former - well she sure didn't expect what was there!

Yet another ''play it as I see it'' situation - impossible to determine my actions on pure theory but would hope to be more ahead of the game than she was. Relieved no bullets taken.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This is not a good scene. When confronted with a drawn gun you are in deep trouble. It is time to mind your P's and Q's and hope that the BG doesnt get itchy.

Thats a pretty hairy situation. Was there any sign of forced entry into the house? That could have been a giveaway.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Wow. Like so many scenarios, it's not good and it's not easy.

If I had my piece on me (and I would have had I just returned from vacation), I'm thinking there's going to be a gunfight as soon as I see the guy.

The alternative is to run and hope you don't get shot. I'm not so hot on that one. If I am going to get shot, I want it to happen while I'm trying to make something happen.

But as far as the second BG goes....wow. Maybe I'm just dead meat all around.

If BG # 1 has to rack his slide before he can shoot me, I'm pretty sure I could shoot him, multiple times, before he gets a slug into me.

Hopefully I'd exit the premises immediatley thereafter, thinking about a possible second BG.

But with my head all befuddled after a close-quarters, unexpected gunfight in my kitchen....I don't know.

One thought-provoking thread, that's for sure.

ALWAYS consider more than one BG, I think, is the lesson here.

See, I guess this is a lesson learned for me also.. (Never assume you can see all the bad guys!) As I was lisening to my aunt tell me the story, I kept thinking about how I would have moved sideways to the threat , drew and fired, but it never once (bad me!) went through my mind about someone else in the house!! When she told me he yelled down the basement steps to call up his partner I about fainted, thinking I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT!!

Rocky: "2. assume there will be more than 1 possible threat." +1 too you!!

Freedz: They entered through and old door, on the 2nd floor of the house? (I don't know what this "door" used to go to or anything about it, but once again that's what she told me) So the front and back doors looked normal.

Thanks to the rest of you for your input also!!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

I have this rather nasty (paranoid) habit of when ever we return from a extended leave, I enter the house with the HK out and the M6X attached, then I clear the place room by room. So I guess my responce would have to have been as soon as I realized my home was being burgled and the BG was armed would be BANG BANG... BANG. two center mass one high.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I do - however paranoid it sounds - treat every return into my house as a potential for finding an intruder...
    Same here. Even when we just go out for the evening, when we return I go on full alert, try to notice anything unusual as we approach the house, get doubly alert as I approach and open the door, and don't relax until I have been through enough of the house to be certain that no one is there.

Well this goes back to the same thing I told the moron who try'd to tell me on the phone I need'd an alarm system in my house.If for some stange reason you can get past my 2 dogs.You can have what ever you want if I ain't there.
    Woody!
    Go prepared or dont go.

Bless & support our troops.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Hard to say what I would have done. alot would have depended on the guys demenor. If he was reaching to rack the slide I probably would have
    1. attempt to disarm
    2.or gain distance while drawing
    At any rate a good reminder to
    1. maintain cond. yellow
    2. assume there will be more than 1 possible threat.
    +1 I agree
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

If we've been gone and our three dogs with us, they go into the house first, out of habit. That will typically "clear" the house. If the dogs are at home (always inside) upon our return, their greetings tell me the house is clear. No greeting equals retreat and call 911.

It does raise the spectre a BG hears us and hides in a closet to sneak out later..........or pull a BG stunt..... Think I'll start going through the house a bit better, with the four legged back ups........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    It's amazing how much those of us with dogs rely on them to hear or smell what we can't. I think I’ll go get Gabriel a treat right now “just because”!

This is one of those "ya had to be there" kind of scenarios for me.

When the guy “racked the slide” that was definitely one possible opportunity. But not knowing if or where another BG might be... it would have been tight.

Some really good ideas and reminders from all the post. I need to check my practices that’s for sure.

+1 Thread!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

mik
    One of the best threads I've seen here. Thanks for the inputs guys; they've given me a lot to consider ... and implement.
    Mike

Keep your nose into the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links