Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me - Page 2

Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me

This is a discussion on Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm with Guantes,as soon as your spidey senses start tingling do not close the gap but move off the trail so if they try to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me

I'm with Guantes,as soon as your spidey senses start tingling do not close the gap but move off the trail so if they try to approach if you need to defend yourself they will have a hard time explaining why they left the trail and moved towards you.
    I would also place a call to 911 and report suspicious persons,just in case theres a unit close by that can stop them and run them for warrants,it's possible they may have robbed somebody else and your tip may solve a case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Move to the right side of path, slightly off of it. Grasp your side near your firearm and fake a cramp. All while keeping them in your field of vision as best you can.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Yup, 3 yards is too close. A more experienced mugger would have taken you.

I strongly disagree with faking a disability, it baits predators in by making you seem crippled. Best fight is the one not started.

LOL... very similar situation once, and the one was going to be "in " my path .... expecting me to give way, which I didn't. He ran into me and I pushed him off and he nearly landed on his tail end....... he goes over to 2nd guy and tells him.... in Spanish... "Keep going , I think he's armed". And they quickened their pace away from me.

Sometimes, it's initimidation and if you "heed" then you are seen as a potential victim. If you are "unconcerned" and have the look like "mess with me I'll put you on the ground", then you are not a good victim and they'll more likely move on to a easier target.

But, I would be prepared to act... and my hand may or may not be on my gun under my shirt, depending upon how I assess the situation.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

To the OP, I'd have done what you did, except at 10 yards, and never mind the OC. Made eye contact with all three and keep watching them. "G'morning" and nod as they approached, as you did, let them pass, then keep eyes on them as I left the area.

I don't look for conflicts, but I don't run from "could be" situations either, not without more info to confirm that it will go from "could be" to "gonna get ugly". Not going to live my life in fear and go out of my way to avoid anything that could be or what if....
    flagflyfish likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

3D [OP]
    Very much appreciate all posts to this thread___thanks.

Lessons Learned:

Create space/distance between me and perceived threat!
    I have read it at least 100+ times but now I know in my gut what it means and what it's worth. This is the part of my response I felt most dissatisfied with. It prompted me to post in the first place to get some 'outside' thinking on this. Most all of you said it.

TVJ asked:
    Why did you allow yourself to get within three yards of burly boy? It was your choice. IMO this is your critical tactical question to analyze. What feeling got in the way of taking an extraordinarily wide berth into the scrub area, crossing the street, anything but what you did?
    Then TVJ answers it perfectly for me:
    I notice how uncomfortable good people get doing the following: Going out of their way to make large amounts of space between themselves and someone(s) they think/acts like a perp
    My inner dialogue was along the lines of . . "maybe I'm over reacting" . . "I don't see any weapons" . . "if I'm obvious about moving away will they interpret that as fear and pursue it/me? All the while I'm mulling this over the distance between us is diminishing __and then they were right there!

I'm not inclined to fake injury, or needing a breather, or needing to stretch. I'll just make a wide berth or change direction when space permits.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    It seems to me that one of the basic problems we have--being the "good guys" is that we hear that little voice inside saying "Watch out, somethings's not RIGHT with this picture," but because we ARE good guys, we don't want to believe that little voice.

IF (and its a big "if") I was in your shoes and actually paid attention to that little voice, I would have stopped at least 25' from them, clearly put my hand on the butt of my pistol, looked mr burly boy in the eyes and said something non-confrontational like, "Morning guys." The next move would be theirs Due to the disparity of force issue, had they tried to flank/surround me, I would have drawn to the low-ready and told them in a command voice to stop right there--the safety would be off, finger on the trigger--again, in two instances I would have made my actions clear and open--if they continue in aggressive posturing and movements--their actions are clear indicators.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

3D [OP]
    Didn't finish. Was interrupted with word from my son & family in Honolulu re: the approaching tsunami. (They're safe and OK).

Re: the OC spray. Some of you said forget it. I placed it in my left hand early in the course of events. I then realized it wasn't going to 'cut it' if this thing really got rolling.

This is the first time in my life I have gone to the gun as my intended defense.
    The biggest take away for me is that I now know and trust in my heart-of-hearts that I will take action on my own behalf to not be a victim. I clearly remember saying to myself . . "I'm not going to the ground to be stomped or kicked", not at my age or state of health.

__zacii__ ended his post asking:
    But, what would you have done, if it had gone to violence? I'm just curious; they got awful close...
    At the point where we were passing each other my gun was unholstered under my loose-fitting 'T' shirt at chest height with muzzle pointed at Burly Boy. I was clear. Since there were 3 of them, if a hand got laid on me I was burst firing on the first to touch me.____Right or wrong, that's where I was with it.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

You could have put on your best Jack Nicolson crazy face and said loudly as if talking to yourself like a crazy man:
    Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in. Gonna bash 'em right the F*** in! ha ha ha

These guys would have created "space" for you after witnessing this act... LOL

3D [OP]
    In North Carolina . . .

Sec. 14-277.1. Communicating threats. 1973. Amended 1999.(a)

A person is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor if without lawful authority:
    (1) He willfully threatens to physically injure the person or that person's child, sibling, spouse, or dependent or willfully threatens to damage the property of another;
    (2) The threat is communicated to the other person, orally, in writing, or by any other means;
    (3) The threat is made in a manner and under circumstances which would cause a reasonable person to believe that the threat is likely to be carried out; and
    (4) The person threatened believes that the threat will be carried out.
    (b) A violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

. . . not that these guys were necessarily the type to file a complaint mind you!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    What does NC law say about the right to protect yourself?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Glad this worked out well for you and you learned a lot about situations and yourself, so nothing was lost while a lot was gained.

Honestly, I have had a legitimate situation happen to me twice in my life. The first time really unnerved me, the adrenaline was nothing short of spectacular. The second time was not nearly as dramatic because after the first time I had come to terms with the fact that it will happen and that I will be as prepared for the situation as they are because I know that it can happen at any time and I train for it regularly. I am content with my skill level of avoiding threats and I am comfortable with my ability to respond if it is unavoidable. I trust my assessment of a situation, if it doesn't feel right......it isn't right. I am not spoiling for a fight as I will go to greater lengths than most to avoid a situation, but I will not live my life in fear that it might happen and I will not be prepared.

3D [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    What does NC law say about the right to protect yourself?
    I'm not going to list all applicable and relevant laws on the subject. (I don't know them ALL).
    I was told very clearly by an attorney that in North Carolina "deadly force is permitted to defend against deadly force".

(My post re: threats was in response to the "bash your brains in" suggestion by 1 Molon Labe.)

Free lessons are one of the few things that are worth more than what you paid for them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I would not have waited and let them get as close to you as Guantes has already suggested. If the area was clear on the street side I would have changed direction taken a 90 degree turn and headed that way at no closer than 10 yards to these individuals. For all they know I was planning on changing direction anyway. Even though there is little traffic I like the idea of being in a more open area than in the woods. If they change direction and begin to head my way then whatever the situation calls for will be initiated by me. Despairity of force in the situation you have described is obvious and in your favor.

Nine feet is danger close to get your hand out of your pocket for the OC spray and your gun from under your shirt and deal with three BG's.

Glad it worked out in your favor.
    This was my thought as well OS.

It's a tough call; woods or open?
    On one hand, trees can offer some cover in case of weapons. On the other hand, woods can also hide the attack from "potential" help.

On one hand, getting in the open gives you the ability to manuver; AND exposes the BGs to witnesses. On the other hand moving away from cover opens you up to getting hurt by weapons.

Evidently the OP did the right thing. Good Job!

However, I wonder what may have happened "IF" the OP was NOT armed.
    "IF" the OP were UNARMED, I think moving into the street would've been the best option.

(IMO; It's better to take a beat down in the middle of an "open" street, than in the hidden seclusion of dark woods.)

-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links