Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me

This is a discussion on Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 3D (My post re: threats was in response to the "bash your brains in" suggestion by 1 Molon Labe .) I was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Now What? - Alone on Jogging Path as Two with a Flanker Approach Me

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post

(My post re: threats was in response to the "bash your brains in" suggestion by 1 Molon Labe.)
    I was just being funny....guess it failed.
    But seriously, ever seen someone whom you thought was "off their meds" and was having a crazy moment? It will make you put space between you and him.

2. Remove Ads

I would have definitely moved toward the street and flanker. If BB and the other guy follows and a confrontation ensues, it is out in the street and I also have disparity of force on my side with three of them and one of me.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Areas like this are gaining in popularity for dirtbags.

All's well that ends well. But, what would you have done, if it had gone to violence? I'm just curious; they got awful close...
    When it comes to violence........out comes the Holy Smoker!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would have stepped off the jogging path and into the woods as much as possible and pretending to be taking a breather in order to wait for their next move while having the OC spray in my weak hand and my strong hand directly placed over my concealed handgun. Since you would be off the jogging path there is no reason for them to get out of the path and towards you without a good reason (mugging you) so that would give you a quick indication of their intentions and you could proceed to spray them with your OC and/or draw your gun. Sure, it is so much easier for us to debate over this while comfortably sitting behind our computers, but since you asked that is what I would have done.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

3D [OP]
    _Goldy49_ in post #9
    You had some complicating circumstances that I didn't have. (e.g. both hands probably on handlebars so reaching for gun gets complicated; riding & maintaining balance; what do I do with the bike?, etc.)
    Sounds like you did what worked. Big key was heeding you intuitive assessment and getting the h377 out of there!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Setting:
    I am on a paved jogging path thru moderately wooded area.
    Path wide enough for 4 people abreast.
    No one in sight front, back or sides.
    Parallel city street approximately 20 ft. on left side – very little traffic.
    Time of day: 10:30 AM; cloudy overcast daylight.
    I am 70 yrs. old; 5’-8” tall; 185 lbs. I am concealed carrying. I have OC spray.

Events:
    I first noticed two ~20 yr. old hooded-sweat-shirt clad males come around the turn ahead walking toward me on the path. They were about 30 yds. in front of me.

The one on the outside of the path (the street side) was ~200-220 lbs. (not fat!!) ~6 ft. tall.
    I’ll call him ‘Burly Boy”.
    Next to him in the center of the path was ‘Slim’ – 5’-8” ~140 lbs.

My attention shifted from them as I then saw ‘Flanker’, also in a hoodie. He was walking up the middle of the street! My attention changed to suspicion as I realized ‘Flanker’ was in conversation with ‘Burly Boy’ and ‘Slim’ ____they are together. . . and all their eyes were on me as they spoke to each other.

As we are advancing toward each other (distance now ~15 yds.) ‘Burly Boy’ moves ‘Slim’ to the outside position where he was. ‘Burly Boy’ will now be right next to me when we pass each other. At that same time ‘Flanker’ jogs ahead a little and angles off of the street toward the path behind me. I’m starting to get a very uneasy feeling. ‘Burly Boy hasn’t averted his “locked-eyes” stare at me since the beginning.

The steadily closing distance has decreased to ~3 yds. and 'Burly Boy' is still staring at me.

What Would You Have Done?
    Glad you're ok! This is the very reason I began to carry was because my wife and I like to ride the various trails in the area. There have been at least three instances that I have sincerely felt our lives were in danger so I did what I could and made plenty of room between us and them. Luckily they didn't pursue the situation but at least now we are armed in case it ever does escalate to this. Sharing your experience with others helps everyone learn something new, Thank You.

If it was me facing the same situation, I think I'd have pretended that I just reached the point where I normally turn around and head back the way I came. The decision would've been made way before the three yards mark though. If they appeared to follow or advance in any way that made me uncomfortable, then it's add a little speed to the run and prep for the fight of my life; which I don't intend to lose. If they prove to be out to do me harm, then I'd find the first and largest tree I could find for cover and have my equalizer at the ready.

As a side note: At seventy years old I'm probably gonna be pretty darn cranky that my hoveround isn't working, so they might wanna give me a wide birth.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

3D [OP]
    gottabekiddin

How simple!! I can't believe it never occurred to me to simply turn around!! I really need to examine what about my pre-conceived thinking made me First consider how to fight/defend.

Has to be that I was armed. If this exact thing occurred and I was unarmed I feel certain I would have booked it out of there in the opposite direction ASAP.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

As most have said here................move to neutral ground and prepair to draw.
    If you cannot withdraw, sometimes you just have to look the wolf in the face..............then..........It's On.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I would not have waited and let them get as close to you as Guantes has already suggested. If the area was clear on the street side I would have changed direction taken a 90 degree turn and headed that way at no closer than 10 yards to these individuals. For all they know I was planning on changing direction anyway. Even though there is little traffic I like the idea of being in a more open area than in the woods. If they change direction and begin to head my way then whatever the situation calls for will be initiated by me. Despairity of force in the situation you have described is obvious and in your favor.

Nine feet is danger close to get your hand out of your pocket for the OC spray and your gun from under your shirt and deal with three BG's.

Glad it worked out in your favor.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do not have to read the remaining posts to agree %100 with this, what oldschool and guantes have suggested.

You definitely allowed them to get to close, but your appropriate actions probably saved you plenty of grief, in the nick of time,

And as one poster here had for his signature line, "The nick of time comes just before the moments lost".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Just curious: What type of firearm were you carrying? Hopefully more than a 5-shot revolver against multiple attackers!

3D [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Just curious: What type of firearm were you carrying? Hopefully more than a 5-shot revolver against multiple attackers!
    I was carrying (and EDC) Kimber Eclipse Ultra II .45ACP____ 7 rnds in mag + 1 chambered______ in Condition 1_____ with 2 full spare mags. on support side.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'd say that was sufficient--1 mag apiece-- I should think would do quite nicely
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

TVJ
    Very much appreciate all posts to this thread___thanks.

Lessons Learned:

Create space/distance between me and perceived threat!
    I have read it at least 100+ times but now I know in my gut what it means and what it's worth. This is the part of my response I felt most dissatisfied with. It prompted me to post in the first place to get some 'outside' thinking on this. Most all of you said it.

TVJ asked:
    Then TVJ answers it perfectly for me:

My inner dialogue was along the lines of . . "maybe I'm over reacting" . . "I don't see any weapons" . . "if I'm obvious about moving away will they interpret that as fear and pursue it/me? All the while I'm mulling this over the distance between us is diminishing __and then they were right there!

This is the most important portion of this entire thread. Dissolve this and safe risk management tactics immediately and naturally enter.

The fact that you had this experience without getting hurt is so valuable.

Please use this situational gift to act proactively on your well honed, tactically accurate protective inner voice for the rest of your life.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I'm not going to list all applicable and relevant laws on the subject. (I don't know them ALL).
    I was told very clearly by an attorney that in North Carolina "deadly force is permitted to defend against deadly force".

(My post re: threats was in response to the "bash your brains in" suggestion by 1 Molon Labe.)
    Three guys can beat you to death. Sounds deadly enough to me, especially if you are 70

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links