What to do about an aggressive dog?

This is a discussion on What to do about an aggressive dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister lives in low income housing (her and her husband are disabled) and there is a fellow that lives there that has dogs for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about an aggressive dog?

My sister lives in low income housing (her and her husband are disabled) and there is a fellow that lives there that has dogs for "emotional" reasons. One dog he does not keep on a leash is not well trained and charges people aggressively and barks. The apartment policy is dogs are required to be on a leash, but multiple complaints to the managers have done nothing about it. She has also called the police several times and they don't seem to be particularly interested in doing anything unless it actually hurts someone. I was leaving her house a few minutes ago and it charged me, barking, and jumped on me. It didn't bite me, but I was a half a second away from dropping my coffee and pulling my knife.

This guy's apartment is absolutely disgusting. They ended up throwing away his refrigerator, because it broke and he left everything in it for over 6 months. It was filled with maggots and all kinds of stuff. My sister was getting tons of flies in her apartment, and it turned out to be from this guy's fridge. When it snowed, he didn't let his dogs out for a few weeks and they urinated and defecated inside his apartment. He just poured baking soda over it and left it.

The landlords appear to have no interest in kicking him out, but gave my sister a hard time for having a portable dishwasher. They are trying to find a new place, but being that they are both disabled, have low income and are limited on their options. So other than moving out, anyone have any recommendations on how to handle the dog situation?

Considering this is Wisconsin, we don't have concealed carry yet, and our open carry laws are pretty annoying. If you aren't familiar, if you are driving somewhere, you have to unholster your gun, unload it, put it in a case and (debatable by some people) put the gun out of reach. Then reverse when you get to your destination.

I don't feel like I should have to open carry just to walk out to my car. My family and myself don't like bringing up guns or having them around my brother-in-law, as he is bi-polar.t I am really feeling I might start open carrying there, so if the dog does attack me, I have a way to defend myself, other than my folder.

What would you guys do in this situation? Should I file another police report that the dog charged me aggressively, barking, and jumped on me?
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Pepper spray will stop the canine in it's tracks. You can bet that it will not come near you again !

I'll second the vote for pepper spray. Less lethal and probably less legal issues to deal with if you do have to put it into action.

Distinguished Member
    Ammonia in a squirt gun or spray bottle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Long range Wasp spray will work as good or better than pepper spray and has more range. But try calling animal control first and filing a complaint. If nothing happens, file another complaint, then another, etc. Keep records of dates, times, and names of the offical who took the complaints. After the dog bites you, sue the owner and the animal control department. A good civil lawyer will make life much more affordable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    Pepper spray will stop the canine in it's tracks. You can bet that it will not come near you again !

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^#1^^^

And/or while walking to the car have your strong arm EMPTY, and the folder in IT.
    When said unruly dog comes at you, there you go.

Call the animal RESCUE organization closest to their apartment.
    Enlighten them to the facts as you have reiterated here and see how much mileage you get out of that.
    They will be probably more interested in the animals well being, as well as the overall conditions as to how the dogs are kept.

#4 Yes keep hounding (no pun intended) the police, and as well contact the city offices, and let them know, in no uncertain terms that should one of these animals bite, or harm anyone , you will make certain that they are taken down the long dark road of litigation as its been documented that there has been an ongoing problem which they (the city) has ignored.

Tie a few steaks to the back of your bumper , and go for a ride out to the quietude of the country, then do what we do with errant problem animals.
    I'll leave that up to your imagination.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I can't believe the landlord would want this kind of tenant.
    I second pepper spray. Sounds like a call to the health board is in order, too.

All good suggestions, pepper spray, animal control, etc. An inexpensive aluminum/steel (less legal concerns than an ASP) cane could be a significant disusader of the unwanted attention from the dog. In densely populated areas, I favor a striking implement or a blade, after OC, over a gun for dog control. Here again, often equal or better results with less potential for problems.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I filed a police report and the police officer went and talked to him. He told me if it continues happening, keep filing reports and they will ticket him. I tried to explain to the officer that there has already been numerous reports about it and they haven't done anything about it. The dog charges at me every time hes outside with them, so I'm going to start filing police reports every time it happens until something is done. I will also probably send animal control/rescue a letter explaining the situation, along with the Dept. of Health Services.

I'll be picking up some pepper spray from Cabelas on my way back to college Saturday or Sunday. What I'll start doing is carrying my folder strong side, and OC weak side. I usually have my folder tucked inside my waistband - I'll move it to my coat pocket.

I will be doing what I can to get this under control. My sister has to carry her daughters to their car every time they go somewhere and is scared to let them play outside in the summer. They have a really nice big grassy area, but he doesn't clean up after his dog, so it's usually a mess.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I cant really say what I would do...last time it got me an infraction..

If his place is as "crappy" as you say, a call to the local Health Authority might be in order.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I used a Fenix PD30 on strobe on a neighborhood Doberman that thought it wanted to growl. Stopped it instantly.

I wouldn't worry about the dog, I tell your sister to look for a better apartment complex.

Live trap + a 25 mile ride out into the country...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The ASP baton probably "won't" work- BTDT before with mean dog...not much effect! The pepper spray will work. I would suggest get the fogger pattern in BEAR REPELLANT of 15% OC-has no lasting effects other than psychological to the aggressor. It will stop a charging grizzly bear and be warned, when you spray it, make sure you have a gulp of air and go the other way because it will cause uncontrollable coughing, eye irritation, nose running etc. if you get into the discharge cloud. We used it when I worked as a zookeeper and it really works. Think we ordered some from Gary Olin's Sportsman's Guide (google it) or check local gun shop, etc. Also note if it jumps up on you, a swift kick to the nuts really works wonders and prevents this altogether after a while. Friendly dogs that jump up will get the hint if you pull your knee up and they bounce their chest off it while saying "NO" in firm command voice.

Pepper spray will solve the problem permanently with that particular dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links