Can you detain a thief at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on Can you detain a thief at gunpoint? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TVJ If and only if he does that, then I index on his ground position, tell him to spread his arms and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can you detain a thief at gunpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    If and only if he does that, then I index on his ground position, tell him to spread his arms and show his hands and stay that way, watch him, grab cell phone with one hand and dial 911, describe situation in my favor, continue to watch his hands intensely, ask 911 what responding officer wants me to do when responding officer arrives. Maintain distance from perp. When siren gets really loud, I backup much further from perp and holster up and point at perp with one hand and hold the other hand up.

If he decides to escape at any point, I let him go.
    I was at work when the question was asked, but I like the thoroughness of your answer. Even when you act in self defense, legal questions can be raised, but it's worth the hassle to still be alive to answer those questions. Other than that, you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it.

2. Remove Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links