Pit Bull Fast Approaching - Page 4

Pit Bull Fast Approaching

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Fast Approaching within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School "If a pit bull, rot, doberman or any other vicious breed of dog charges me, it is getting shot. " ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pit Bull Fast Approaching

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    "If a pit bull, rot, doberman or any other vicious breed of dog charges me, it is getting shot. "
    Quote from ZeBoll

There is no such breed as a vicious breed, there are however vicious dogs in all breeds.
    +1 Thank you for posting this, when there are obviously just as many breed phobic people here as there are those that know you can't judge a book by its cover. That's why these type threads always bring out the, errr, passion in a person. Some of the nastiest dogs I've come across have been Golden Retrievers, but I certainly don't condem them all. Even my veterinarian got his arm torn up pretty good by one.

VIP Member
    "If a pit bull, rot, doberman or any other vicious breed of dog charges me, it is getting shot. "
    Quote from ZeBoll

There is no such breed as a vicious breed, there are however vicious dogs in all breeds.
    While there are good dogs and bad dogs in all breeds there are certainly numbers to support the "vicious" breed argument. to say otherwise is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    That's funny, I can't seem to recall the last deadly attack on a child by a golden retriever. Do you want me to find some news articles regarding pitbull attacks?
    +1. Although I did do a search and there have been attacks by a golden retriever. Looking at the pics in some of the articles though they just don't compare to an attack by at Pit.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Right. Golden retrievers are just like pitbulls. Amazing that we dont see pitbulls used as petting animals in nursing homes and children's hospitals. I don't mind people owning pitbulls because they're so nice and friendly, in fact I think it's great when those nice cuddly pitbulls snap and maul their owners. What's sad however, is that those idiots often have kids who get to play chew toy before they do.

Atctimmy I agree any that any dog can bite. But a golden biting and pitbull biting are two VERY different things.

if you need to shoot the dog shoot it ,dogs are disposible, my/your loved ones are not, simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    It's for this very reason I always carry a cat strapped to my belt. I can draw and tactically deploy the cat giving me enough time to save the children and the damsels in distress.
    Do you carry it IWB or OWB?

With regard to the problem of shooting that relatively small, moving target, I'll pass on the advice I got in AF survival school in dealing with E. German guard dogs. Stand bladed to the dog, you weak side forward. Extend your weak arm fully and make a fist. The dog will jump at the nearest part of you - your fist. He'll swallow your arm up to about your elbow. You now have a steady, nearby target. Alternatively, if you'd run out of ammo in that .38 revolver, grab the dog by the stomach (where you hand is) and yank hard, turning the dog inside out. Now all you have to deal with is the E German dog handler, who will now be doubly pissed at you.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    I'm not really sure what to think about the situation. If I had the gun on me, it would be dead. No doubt about it. Fast charging dog at a group of people that includes four kids and a pregnant woman. At the same time, apparently the dog wanted nothing but to come over and get pet, but none of us could read that from the dog's facial expression or body language.

Thoughts?
    Strong over-reaction..... just because it's a dog and running towards people, doesn't mean squat ..... let alone that it's a threat. Lots of dogs would do that, because many like to play with kids, etc. The fact it's a pit doesn't mean much to me, as about every pit bull I"ve seen has been a big baby. Just because it's a pit , doesn't mean it will be aggressive. However, not knowing the dog .... I would be assessing what it's actions and intent was, but beyond that... not gotten excited unless it showed some really aggressive behavior or intent.

Everyone should be really sure about things, before they introduce a gun into the situation.

And yes.... I've had a neighborhood dog that we had been telling and telling the Police it was vicious, go on an "attack" on my kids... it was a German Shephard that went way out of it's way & quite a distance to attack. I backed it off with a hammer and a board. I've also dealt with a lot of dogs that were aggressive and know how to generally handle one without introducing a gun. Now, the time a wolf decided to attack ..... I wish I would have had a gun, but we got inside a garage about 2-3 steps before it got to us.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Everyone gets up in arms about the dog topic. "There are no aggressive breeds, ect, ect." I call baloney on that. There are most definitely more protective breeds that can inherently be more aggressive. We all know that the little rat size dogs can be "snappy" and are prone to biting. You don't, however, have to worry about being killed or seriously mauled by a tiny dog. From my personal experience, I have been chased by dogs in attack mode on numerous occasions. A couple times when I was younger, and a couple of times when I was older - in which I stood my ground. The breeds that have aggressively come after me have been: rottweilers (twice), german shepherds (twice), pit bulls (twice), a boxer, and a pit mix. Honorable mentions are some little rat sized dogs of my neighbors that will charge you full speed, barking and growling. They have scared mine and my roommates gf's to death at night. They have been booted a few times, but are too small to pose a threat. ALL of the owners in these situations guaranteed me that they had the sweetest dogs and that they would never harm anyone. Some of them, I am 100% certain they would have mauled me had they gotten close enough.

When younger, I had to run and climb trees/run into my house - and thankfully beat the dogs (rottweilers) My golden retriever fought off a german shepherd that charged ME, not my dog when I was younger. When older, and had a german shepherd come at me, in my yard while taking the trash, I pulled my sog tech bowie, took an aggressive stance, and it backed down (this dog got shot by a nearby resident only weeks later. I can only imagine why.). The pits that have been aggressive towards me would run at you if you came too close to the cul-de-sac in my neighborhood, thinking they owned the place. Even if they didn't full on attack, they got way too close for comfort in a fully aggressive manner. Same situation with the boxer. Charged barking and snarling at full speed, but stopped when right in my face. How are you to judge whether or not they are going to actually attack? It is practically impossible.

I have had too many bad experiences with dogs. If one ever charges at me again, on my property, I will definitely be firing. I would be cautious if it was just me, and I was in a public area like a street, but would only shoot if deemed completely necessary. ...However, If I had loved ones (especially young children) nearby that I thought were in danger... It would be a tough call. Most of you may be right. It could be 100% the owners fault if their dog acts the way that it does. It will also be their fault if their animal gets harmed because someone feels that they, or their loved ones are in imminent danger.

I will agree that it would be a very tough call in the OP's original post. Every time I have been charged by, or seen a dog charge, they were barking or growling, and snarling before the sprint, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    It's for this very reason I always carry a cat strapped to my belt. I can draw and tactically deploy the cat giving me enough time to save the children and the damsels in distress.
    I said I was done with this thread but...

Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    21bubba, is that cat an assault cat? If so I think you need to seriously rethink how much danger you are in because NOONE should ever have an assault cat. In fact I would like to call for a ban on assault cats, and high capacity cat food bowls immediately for the protection of the public.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    21bubba, is that cat an assault cat? If so I think you need to seriously rethink how much danger you are in because NOONE should ever have an assault cat. In fact I would like to call for a ban on assault cats, and high capacity cat food bowls immediately for the protection of the public.
    They've already started on a bill to ban those evil black assault cats, based on the way they look...

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    They've already started on a bill to ban those evil black assault cats, based on the way they look...
    Curse those evil black cats and their shoulder things that go up! Everyone rally for the ban; think of the children! Think of the mice!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Not exactly a assault cat, but he has had some ninja training.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Do you carry it IWB or OWB?

With regard to the problem of shooting that relatively small, moving target, I'll pass on the advice I got in AF survival school in dealing with E. German guard dogs. Stand bladed to the dog, you weak side forward. Extend your weak arm fully and make a fist. The dog will jump at the nearest part of you - your fist. He'll swallow your arm up to about your elbow. You now have a steady, nearby target. Alternatively, if you'd run out of ammo in that .38 revolver, grab the dog by the stomach (where you hand is) and yank hard, turning the dog inside out. Now all you have to deal with is the E German dog handler, who will now be doubly pissed at you.
    Actually He is carried SOB-OWB. I find I can fling him further from this carry position.

Cool

Yahoo! Image Search Results for pit bull therapy dogs

For those who care and love the PB and for those who do not believe there is any redeeming qualities in them.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yahoo! Image Search Results for pit bull therapy dogs

For those who care and love the PB and for those who do not believe there is any redeeming qualities in them.
    Good post Old School but, I gotta warn you that trying to convince some folks that it's the owner and not the dog is like trying to convince people that it's the owner and not the gun. However, since it is important to show the PB in a positive light, here is a video of me and my boy taken a few years ago.

CHAPO - Luis - blip.tv
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links