Pit Bull Fast Approaching - Page 5

Pit Bull Fast Approaching

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Fast Approaching within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... just because it's a dog and running towards people, doesn't mean squat ..... let alone that it's a threat. Very true. Trouble is that ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 106
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pit Bull Fast Approaching

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    ... just because it's a dog and running towards people, doesn't mean squat ..... let alone that it's a threat.
    Very true. Trouble is that he cannot let me know his intentions are not to hurt me. I am left to make a split decision. I'm sorry for your dog if my fear was unfounded in which case I would be angry at you for putting both me and the dog in that situation.

    Michael


  2. #62
    Member Array Tomos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvainia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    +1

    Options to deadly force when walking with or without a dog. If needed all the impact weapons can be used to inflict deadly force.

    Attachment 23712

    Click to enlarge photo.
    Love those canes and it lends credence to the fact that self defense is so much more than just carrying a gun. It's knowledge, discretion, responsibility and accountability. Every situation has it's own protocol and one size never fits all.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    Love those canes and it lends credence to the fact that self defense is so much more than just carrying a gun. It's knowledge, discretion, responsibility and accountability. Every situation has it's own protocol and one size never fits all.
    I carry a heavy wood cane and find it a good weapon for close encounters. If I had the option of a blade on the end of it I would consider it to be the ultimate close quarter weapon for dogs. Sadly sword canes are illegal where i live.

    Michael

  4. #64
    Member Array Tomos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvainia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I carry a heavy wood cane and find it a good weapon for close encounters. If I had the option of a blade on the end of it I would consider it to be the ultimate close quarter weapon for dogs. Sadly sword canes are illegal where i live.

    Michael
    Absolutely, canes, butans, pepper spray, knife and a gun are optimal and gives us a great deal of leeway if we need to figure out what to do in a hurry and what amount of force if need be.

  5. #65
    Member Array ZeBool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    204
    Luis, that isn't even remotely close to being a valid comparison. How many guns have had a bad day and turned around and shot someone? How many guns have broken out of their fence, ran down the street and shot a child? None. Pitbulls have, do and will continue to maul people. I don't know about your guns, but mine don't have tempers, personalities, or any other trait associated with living, breathing, free thinking creatures. Perhaps yours do.

  6. #66
    VIP Member Array xXxplosive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,713
    OC Spray at the ready..................

  7. #67
    Member Array ws76133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth TX
    Posts
    189
    About 6 weeks ago, I was walking my golden and a pit bull charged us; barking and snarling with hackles up. I got between the pit & my dog and yelled to the owner to call him back. She said all he wanted to do was play. When he bit my dog, not hard enough to draw blood, but hard enough to get a yelp, the pit got pepper sprayed.

    The responding police officer (I called it in after owner twisted off) knows me, and told the owner that pepper spray was less permanent than shooting the dog, and when a pit attacks someone, the owner generally doesn't do well in the civil lawsuit. I haven't seen the dog in about a month.

  8. #68
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Good post Old School but, I gotta warn you that trying to convince some folks that it's the owner and not the dog is like trying to convince people that it's the owner and not the gun. However, since it is important to show the PB in a positive light, here is a video of me and my boy taken a few years ago.

    CHAPO - Luis - blip.tv
    Dear Sir, I respect the way you have trained your dog and I understand your argument about "it's the owner and not the dog". However, I hope you can also see that because of a PB's toughness and tenacity many of the "wrong" type of owners gravitate towards this breed. The PB's strength, hyper loyalty and strong territoriality combined with a poor owner can make for a very dangerous animal.

    Poorly trained PBs are dangerous. There can be no denying it. Unlike a gun, a PB can go off without the owner pulling the trigger.

    For the record I lived with a PB Rhodesian Ridge-back mix for years and he was a loving kind soul. He was a great, loving, friendly dog. He was also very powerful and with a poor owner he could have been deadly.
    oneshot likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  9. #69
    Member Array guardmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    404
    Op said kids were there, ok you wait for the action tostart as you see your kid mauled and the dog sever his neck with one bite, hmmmm also if you think wrestling a dog that big is easy and you have to ignore the pain think about grabbing a mastef full size male by the neck and controling him while your mauled to he ground as he pinches the nerves in your arm. I would have yelled at the dog to go home if it kept coming i wouldhave shot it, you want to take me to court for shooting your dog go ahead. Control your dog and buy a leash or shock collar
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,785
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Very true. Trouble is that he cannot let me know his intentions are not to hurt me. I am left to make a split decision. I'm sorry for your dog if my fear was unfounded in which case I would be angry at you for putting both me and the dog in that situation.

    Michael
    I don't know your intentions either.... if you pull a gun, because I would be running after my dog if that occurred and wouldn't wait to ask questions on whether you were pointing the gun at me or the dog. "Interpretation" goes both ways. At that point, you are a danger to me and I would act accordingly to protect myself.

    If I had a dog that went to attack anyone "for no reason" , I know it's behavior and all you need to do is get the hell out of the way, because I"ll shoot it.

    Your 'unfounded' fears are not my issue, nor my dogs. There is quite a difference between a dog barking, snarling and showing it's teeth as a "warning" vs a viciously aggressive dog.... that won't snarl or bark, they'll just attack.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  11. #71
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't know your intentions either.... if you pull a gun, because I would be running after my dog if that occurred and wouldn't wait to ask questions on whether you were pointing the gun at me or the dog. "Interpretation" goes both ways. At that point, you are a danger to me and I would act accordingly to protect myself.

    If I had a dog that went to attack anyone "for no reason" , I know it's behavior and all you need to do is get the hell out of the way, because I"ll shoot it.

    Your 'unfounded' fears are not my issue, nor my dogs. There is quite a difference between a dog barking, snarling and showing it's teeth as a "warning" vs a viciously aggressive dog.... that won't snarl or bark, they'll just attack.
    Wow. Really? You're going to pull a gun and shoot a guy in his yard while he's there with his wife and his kids? It would be your dog running aggressively into his yard near his kids and you are going to "act accordingly" if he attempts to defend himself? I know people get all bent out of shape over these dog threads but really? Seriously?

    If I shoot your dog in my front yard and you shoot me that's called murder2.

    And to reply to the highlighted portion: My "unfounded" fears would most certainly be your concern. My fear of your dog would certainly justify it's shooting in the eyes of the law. My fear of you pulling a gun in response to my defense against you dog would be your concern too. I would be justified in the eyes of the law for shooting you as well. There is ZERO legal justification for any of the stuff you posted above.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 16th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  12. #72
    Member Array ZeBool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    204
    If your pitbull gets away from you, charges my family and I am forced to shoot it, the LAST THING you'll want to do is follow the dogs lead and run at me with a gun drawn. That particular behavior would end very poorly, very quickly for you.

  13. #73
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,785
    First, you are putting a lot of assumptions and things into it, I didn't say. But...........................

    If my dog got loose, and came running toward 'anyone', I guarantee you it would not be attacking, and I would guarantee you that I would be chasing right behind it. IF YOU .... pull a gun and point it in my direction, I consider that a threat and a danger to me .... REALLY. And yes, I'll act accordingly..... I didn't say I would shoot you..... but, if I felt it necessary to protect myself, you bet.... especially if you are shooting in my direction. How can I "interpret" that other than you are using deadly force by pointing a gun or shooting in my direction and in the process of endangering my health and my life ?

    My dog is a search and rescue dog, it's "taught" to find people.... and to run toward them barking, to alert "US" where your silly injured or lost rearend is (whether in the woods, a collapsed building , or wherever) .... so we can find you by listening to or following her and getting you the medical attention you need or way back to where you belong, or your kids back to you. MY DOG ... is "taught" to bark and to "RUN towards the person " as a "communication" to let us KNOW they have found you ..... it is a "GOOD THING".

    You misinterpreting that.... is stupid. You pointing a gun in my direction and acting like you are going to fire it or firing it ... is also stupid.

    The "officials" here have a simple rule... if you shoot a dog, you better have bite marks and evidence it attacked you, or you'll be the one going to jail.

    I do get tired of these threads where people who don't know squat about dogs, nor how to handle them, automatically assume... if it barks... OMG it's going to attack me, and god forbid if it went running toward them.

    The LEGAL JUSTIFICATION : YOU .... introduced a gun into the situation, I only protected myself from YOUR introducting that gun and aiming it in my direction ....threatening my well being. And you really don't have a thing to say about me following behind my dog to retrieve it and regain control over her, which would not only be appropriate but expected behavior in anyone's eyes.

    That particular behavior would end very poorly, very quickly for you.
    Keep the threats and initimidation to yourself, no one's impressed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  14. #74
    Member Array ZeBool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    204
    Exactly what breed of dog is your SR? Is it a pitbull, doberman, or rottweiler? If it is, and it charges at my family while growling /making any other kind of vicious sound, it will become a dead search and rescue dog. As to your statement "you better have bite marks or you're going to jail" I suppose you would allow a knife-wielding attacker to stab you a few times so that you have knife wounds? Cool. Bottom line: control your dog.

  15. #75
    VIP Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,788
    There are SAR pit bull terriers, too. Does someone need to post a link for that?
    The bottom line is, It is a scary thought that someone might overreact based on appearance. And on the other side of the spectrum, not react at all based on appearance.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

american bulldogs compared to pit bulls
,
approaching a pit bull
,
approaching a pitbull
,

best defense against a pit bull attack

,

best defense against a pitbull

,
best defense against pit bull attack
,

best defense against pit bulls

,
how fast are pit bulls
,
how to defend against a pitbull
,
irish wolfhound kills pit bull
,
nra pit bull drill
,
pitbull destroyed by irish wolfhound
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors