Pit Bull Fast Approaching - Page 6

Pit Bull Fast Approaching

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Fast Approaching within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eagleks First, you are putting a lot of assumptions and things into it, I didn't say. But........................... If my dog got loose, ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 106
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pit Bull Fast Approaching

  1. #76
    Member Array guardmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    First, you are putting a lot of assumptions and things into it, I didn't say. But...........................

    If my dog got loose, and came running toward 'anyone', I guarantee you it would not be attacking, and I would guarantee you that I would be chasing right behind it. IF YOU .... pull a gun and point it in my direction, I consider that a threat and a danger to me .... REALLY. And yes, I'll act accordingly..... I didn't say I would shoot you..... but, if I felt it necessary to protect myself, you bet.... especially if you are shooting in my direction. How can I "interpret" that other than you are using deadly force by pointing a gun or shooting in my direction and in the process of endangering my health and my life ?

    My dog is a search and rescue dog, it's "taught" to find people.... and to run toward them barking, to alert "US" where your silly injured or lost rearend is (whether in the woods, a collapsed building , or wherever) .... so we can find you by listening to or following her and getting you the medical attention you need or way back to where you belong, or your kids back to you. MY DOG ... is "taught" to bark and to "RUN towards the person " as a "communication" to let us KNOW they have found you ..... it is a "GOOD THING".

    You misinterpreting that.... is stupid. You pointing a gun in my direction and acting like you are going to fire it or firing it ... is also stupid.

    The "officials" here have a simple rule... if you shoot a dog, you better have bite marks and evidence it attacked you, or you'll be the one going to jail. I do get tired of these threads where people who don't know squat about dogs, nor how to handle them, automatically assume... if it barks... OMG it's going to attack me, and god forbid if it went running toward them.

    The LEGAL JUSTIFICATION : YOU .... introduced a gun into the situation, I only protected myself from YOUR introducting that gun and aiming it in my direction ....threatening my well being. And you really don't have a thing to say about me following behind my dog to retrieve it and regain control over her, which would not only be appropriate but expected behavior in anyone's eyes.


    Keep the threats and initimidation to yourself, no one's impressed.
    Is that state law? Or no law? I've never heard of that.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike


  2. #77
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    This could possibly be the worst thread I've ever seen.

    Group A = Wow, a charging PB would sure scare me. It would scare me even more when I'm in my own yard with my wife and kids playing nearby.

    Group B = There are no bad dogs only bad owners and your fear of being chewed to pieces is unjustified.

    Group C = My dog is the best dog in the world, even if he was running at you aggressively it would be your fault, and I would shoot you if you tried to defend yourself from my wonderful lil fluffy.


    Mods please put this thread down like the angry charging dog that it is.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  3. #78
    Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Out side of Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    First, you are putting a lot of assumptions and things into it, I didn't say. But...........................

    If my dog got loose, and came running toward 'anyone', I guarantee you it would not be attacking, and I would guarantee you that I would be chasing right behind it. IF YOU .... pull a gun and point it in my direction, I consider that a threat and a danger to me .... REALLY. And yes, I'll act accordingly..... I didn't say I would shoot you..... but, if I felt it necessary to protect myself, you bet.... especially if you are shooting in my direction. How can I "interpret" that other than you are using deadly force by pointing a gun or shooting in my direction and in the process of endangering my health and my life ?

    My dog is a search and rescue dog, it's "taught" to find people.... and to run toward them barking, to alert "US" where your silly injured or lost rearend is (whether in the woods, a collapsed building , or wherever) .... so we can find you by listening to or following her and getting you the medical attention you need or way back to where you belong, or your kids back to you. MY DOG ... is "taught" to bark and to "RUN towards the person " as a "communication" to let us KNOW they have found you ..... it is a "GOOD THING".

    You misinterpreting that.... is stupid. You pointing a gun in my direction and acting like you are going to fire it or firing it ... is also stupid.

    The "officials" here have a simple rule... if you shoot a dog, you better have bite marks and evidence it attacked you, or you'll be the one going to jail.

    I do get tired of these threads where people who don't know squat about dogs, nor how to handle them, automatically assume... if it barks... OMG it's going to attack me, and god forbid if it went running toward them.

    The LEGAL JUSTIFICATION : YOU .... introduced a gun into the situation, I only protected myself from YOUR introducting that gun and aiming it in my direction ....threatening my well being. And you really don't have a thing to say about me following behind my dog to retrieve it and regain control over her, which would not only be appropriate but expected behavior in anyone's eyes.


    Keep the threats and initimidation to yourself, no one's impressed.
    Eagleks,
    I think the point you might be missing is WE don't know your dog or it's intentions. I think it's great that your dog is trained for SAR, and I don't doubt for one minute that it would not attack anyone. You are also obligated to keep your dog under control, the OP said that this dog was running toward himself and family while on their own property. Is that under control? As for Legal authority to kill a dog before it bites. I had to call animal control out for some dogs that killed some of my farm critters, they got away because I couldn't get a clear shot at them, I gave descriptions and was told that I had every right to shoot them, even if they were only chasing my animals in a manner that might get them hurt. If he (animal control officer) saw a dog chasing a person or farm animal in a manner that might get them hurt, he was OBLIGATED to shot that dog. "In a manner that might cause them to get hurt" there does not have to be an actual attack with bites. The dog might only be playing, but if we turn and run and my child gets hurt in the scramble, they are no less hurt are they?

    Not all dogs that attack are growling and snarling, and not all dogs that are playing do so without growling and snarling. Just my experience.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

  4. #79
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,236
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    Amazing that we dont see pitbulls used as petting animals in nursing homes and children's hospitals. I don't mind people owning pitbulls because they're so nice and friendly, in fact I think it's great when those nice cuddly pitbulls snap and maul their owners. What's sad however, is that those idiots often have kids who get to play chew toy before they do.
    You might want to Google Pit Bull therapy dogs. Beaten-down dog from Vick case has his day - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com

    I tell you want I find sad and idiotic, the number of people that don't believe the media gets anything right when they are speaking of firearms, but the believe every talking head knows what a Pit Bull is. If Pit Bulls were as inherently vicious as many seem to believe, WHY don't they attack their masters that torture them to make them fighters?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

  5. #80
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You might want to Google Pit Bull therapy dogs. Beaten-down dog from Vick case has his day - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com

    I tell you want I find sad and idiotic, the number of people that don't believe the media gets anything right when they are speaking of firearms, but the believe every talking head knows what a Pit Bull is. If Pit Bulls were as inherently vicious as many seem to believe, WHY don't they attack their masters that torture them to make them fighters?
    Because PBs are fiercely loyal. That's good if you're the owner, bad if you just happen to be some shmo walking down the sidewalk at the wrong time.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  6. #81
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This could possibly be the worst thread I've ever seen.

    Group A = Wow, a charging PB would sure scare me. It would scare me even more when I'm in my own yard with my wife and kids playing nearby.

    Group B = There are no bad dogs only bad owners and you fear of being chewed to pieces is unjustified.

    Group C = My dog is the best dog in the world, even if he was running at you aggressively it would be your fault, and I would shoot you if you tried to defend yourself from my wonderful lil fluffy.


    Mods please put this thread down like the angry charging dog that it is.
    How bout adding Group D = My only response is to take out my firearm and shoot any dog running towards me. I have no other options.

    photo.jpg

    Click on photo to enlarge.

    The only thing the opposing sides can agree on is that it is time to end this thread.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  7. #82
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    How bout adding Group D = My only response is to take out my firearm and shoot any dog running towards me. I have no other options.

    photo.jpg

    Click on photo to enlarge.

    The only thing the opposing sides can agree on is that it is time to end this thread.
    On this we can agree. Not every dog needs to be shot if other options exist. Pepper spray would be a good idea..if you had some.

    When I lived in VA I had a neighbors aggressive Belgian Malinois try to attack my lab. I was in front of my house right outside my garage door giving him a bath with the hose (he loved this on a hot summer day). My dog was leashed and the leash was attached to an iron railing so I could be hands free. The Malinois dog lived across the street and three houses down. I saw him come running at my dog very aggressively from pretty far out. I had the hose it my hand so I cranked the nozzle to jet and hosed him in the face. I just kept spraying him right in the eyes as he got closer until he backed off (the hose had a really good high pressure stream). He even tried twice more to get at my dog but I just kept hosing him down until he finally gave up.

    The owner finally arrived and took control of his dog. I calmly told him that next time I won't be using water.

    This was a 45 pound Malinois though and not a PB. I don't think a hose would always work with an aggressive PB.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  8. #83
    Member Array ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Wa
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Not exactly a assault cat, but he has had some ninja training.
    My siamese is a ninja. My orange tabby would just sit on you and you couldn't move. This, of course, after they have taken care of your charging dog.

  9. #84
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,785
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    Exactly what breed of dog is your SR? Is it a pitbull, doberman, or rottweiler? If it is, and it charges at my family while growling /making any other kind of vicious sound, it will become a dead search and rescue dog. As to your statement "you better have bite marks or you're going to jail" I suppose you would allow a knife-wielding attacker to stab you a few times so that you have knife wounds? Cool. Bottom line: control your dog.
    Your post are a good example of what I think is wrong.... ready to introduce a gun immediately to solve an issue, without using any other tools or techniques, against an animal that you have no clue what it's intent is... it's just running and barking. As I said, if it's truly vicious... shoot it... but running and barking does not equate to vicious. Most dogs that I've seen that were truly vicious, won't bark.... they'll just attack.

    Sounds to me you are on a power trip with your gun...... I have a GUN & I can USE IT ... and nobody better mess with me. If you don't know the intent of a person ... who is running toward you.... will you shoot them too ? I think there are too many people who are talking out of school and too ready to pull a gun.... out of their lack of knowledge or fear about dogs.

    Bottom line : dont' introduce a gun into a situation where you don't know if others 'armed' around you might respond to your actions, when it normally and typically isn't needed , and then blame everyone else or some animal. HERE ... if someone shoots a dog and claims it was attacking, you would be arrested and charged if there was no actual evidence of an attack (bites, torn clothing, etc). That's just the way it is .. here.

    Don't worry, if you have any buildings blow up, fall down, have an earthquake or tornados... and they want to search for people and I get a call... and it's from Pennsylvania. You are on your own.

    I've been shot at several times in my life. Believe me , the people I went after.... you couldn't hold a candle to. I was never intimidated by them either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  10. #85
    Member Array ZeBool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    204
    "I've been shot at several times in my life. Believe me , the people I went after.... you couldn't hold a candle to. I was never intimidated by them either." Quote from Eagleks



    Ok Rooster Cogburn, it sounds to me like you need to make a nice cup of chamomile tea, curl up on the couch and watch Passion in the Desert with your dog.

  11. #86
    Member Array cmycek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    116
    In Pennsylvania, the use of deadly force against a dog who is threatening people, livestock, or even big game is lawful. Check your state laws.

  12. #87
    Member
    Array IWLAFART's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    335
    Wasp spray that will shoot a stream about 25' will stop an animal or a human. I carry one when walking my dog.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

  13. #88
    VIP Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    In Pennsylvania, the use of deadly force against a dog who is threatening people, livestock, or even big game is lawful. Check your state laws.
    I will definitely agree with that. The key point being "threatening". Running down livestock or game is most certainly threatening them. Running up to a person is not. And like has been mentioned numerous times, dogs run up to people to greet them. It's just what they do. If you are more intimidated by a 40 lb pit bull running up to you than an 80 lb Weimaranar, you are really no different in logic than a person who is more intimidated by a high capacity black gun over a double barrel shotgun and wants to see the tactical guns banned.

  14. #89
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,905
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    "I've been shot at several times in my life. Believe me , the people I went after.... you couldn't hold a candle to. I was never intimidated by them either." Quote from Eagleks



    Ok Rooster Cogburn, it sounds to me like you need to make a nice cup of chamomile tea, curl up on the couch and watch Passion in the Desert with your dog.
    Leave Rooster out of this. He would kill your dog and then go after the whole fam damily.

  15. #90
    Member Array ZeBool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    204
    "HERE ... if someone shoots a dog and claims it was attacking, you would be arrested and charged if there was no actual evidence of an attack (bites, torn clothing, etc). That's just the way it is .. here." Quote from Eagleks

    So what you're telling me is that in your state, cases involving defense against dog attacks are held to higher justification standards than defense against violent criminals? Glad I live in PA.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

american bulldogs compared to pit bulls
,
approaching a pit bull
,
approaching a pitbull
,

best defense against a pit bull attack

,

best defense against a pitbull

,
best defense against pit bull attack
,

best defense against pit bulls

,
how fast are pit bulls
,
how to defend against a pitbull
,
irish wolfhound kills pit bull
,
nra pit bull drill
,
pitbull destroyed by irish wolfhound
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors