Pit Bull Fast Approaching

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Fast Approaching within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple weeks ago I got home and my wife and kids were outside at the neighbor's house playing with their kids. The white trash ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pit Bull Fast Approaching

Pit Bull Fast Approaching

A couple weeks ago I got home and my wife and kids were outside at the neighbor's house playing with their kids. The white trash neighbor a few houses down the road (and across the street, the same side on which I live) is outside with his kid and pit bull. The neighbor dad looks at me and says, "I hate that thing being out here with the kids," and then jokingly follows it up with, "You packin'?" He's one of the few who knows I carry. Oh, and my wife hates -- "despises" is more the word -- guns. I laughed back and said, "No."

Of course that had to jinx us.

Not three minutes later I hear the white trash neighbor yelling for his dog. We look across the street, and there's the dog running full sprint at our group of four adults (of whom one, my wife, is pregnant) and four kids (two from each couple).

The neighbor wife already had the baby in her arms. The neighbor dad picks up his three year old. I knew my kids (4 and 2) were behind me somewhere near my wife. I wasn't carrying my firearm and wasn't close enough to get in the house, so I did the only thing of which I could think: got in fighting position, blocking the group of people, and started thinking of how I was going to tell the neighbor dad to go get my gun from my car and shoot the damn thing while it was biting the hell out of my arm.

Fortunately when it ran up it tried to go past me a bit and I grabbed its collar and put my other arm around its trunk, and it stopped to be pet. Absolutely no one but me touched the thing, so I pet it til white trash got over and took the dog back. No biting, no growling, no fighting, nothing.

I'm not really sure what to think about the situation. If I had the gun on me, it would be dead. No doubt about it. Fast charging dog at a group of people that includes four kids and a pregnant woman. At the same time, apparently the dog wanted nothing but to come over and get pet, but none of us could read that from the dog's facial expression or body language.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

A PitBull ran into a store the other night that I was working Security at. It was big enough to trigger the automatic doors. It ran down an aisle and jumped on a little girl.

It just wanted to play but it scared the crap out the little girl and her parents.

I went over and tried to pull it away but it was very strong. It was wearing a choker collar so I pulled on it to try and get it to follow me. He resisted going anywhere and then I guess the choker collar worked because he yelped. I drew my gun and held it by my leg as I dragged the dog outside just incase it became aggressive. I got the dog outside and was able to find it's owners phone number on the collar.

I know what you mean though, no way to know if the dog wants to play or fight until it's too late.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

My only thought is you must be a pretty good shot, lol. A fast moving medium dog presents one heck of a challenge.
    I'm glad you weren't packin', but you are right, there's really no way to know of a dog's intentions except for a qiick evaluation of its ear set and tail position. Which might not always be practical to do, given time and other factors.

Going to have to be kind of schizophrenic in my reply to this.

First, the idea that you might have had the means and inclination to kill an affectionate canine is worrisome. "You were scared" is a pathetic excuse for acting like a cowardly moron with a firearm - pretty much the worst thing imaginable and the reason our Second Amendment rights are always at risk: People are afraid - and rightly so - that some lame wimp is going to freak and unload without due cause.

Second, I completely understand and know where you're coming from. This one time, I was visiting a property and an American bulldog came charging out at me. It was one of these:

It barreled toward me at full gallop and launched its snout directly into my groin. Wherein it sniffed mightily and loudly, with much enjoyment. This frightening and fearsome beast, as I eventually learned over time, was the kindest, most gentle and affectionate animal one could ever expect to meet. All he wants in this world is to be praised and to know that he is accepted and loved.

And they had neighbors.

The neighbors had dogs, too. One of them was a purebred pitbull who was also sweet and so forth but I could never relax around that animal. We're talking a dog that's basically half head and jaw. The thing looks designed to kill - a shark with legs.

And so, on an outing at the range, I was happily shooting my revolvers and one of my shooting companions asked if I'd like to try his Glock. We had set up a drill with a small, low target, the exercise being a charging-dog scenario. Drawing from concealment and unloading turned out to be not-so-accurate for me and only 3 or so of my .357s were on-target.

With the Glock, I was just shooting and shooting and the bullets just kept coming. And that's why I now carry an SR9c. So. Sorry for the long and digressive post, but it raised these matters and for the record: the human body is one of nature's most finely developed organisms. We have conquered the planet and devised means to destroy it. We can wipe out all life on Earth. We are power predators. If you do not have the capacity of defeating a canine without a firearm, enroll in a martial arts class and acquire the skills to do so.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I hate to rain on the parade of "charging dog shooters", but just because a dog is running from a neighbor's house towards you is not specifically a reason to draw a firearm and shoot. It sounds like the OP already knows that the neighbor's dog is only a "pet me" dog...why consider shooting it?
    I'm a dog lover...especially big dogs. I know my neighbors, and my neighborhood. My dog has gotten out the front door once or twice and heads for what she loves...the local kids. My neighbors know that our Irish Wolfhound is extremely friendly...she rarely even barks.
    I know the difference between a dog running from the neighbor's house to either see the grandkids or visit our dog and a probable attack by a strange dog...there is no need to have a gun out for the friendly canines.
    I'm fully aware of incidents where strange dogs, or dirtbag neighbors with pit bulls used to protect their drug supplies...thankfully we have none of that in our neighborhood. The biggest problem we have is rude 'dog walkers' who allow their animals to use our lawns as 'depositories'. I usually let them become aware of my displeasure with not taking their 'accidents' home with them. (Don't have a plastic bag with you? No problemo...here's one for you...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dogs are easily destroyed by your hands. Yes, you will get bit, but you have to grit it out. First grab it by the loose skin around the neck, and take it to the ground by twisting and turning downward. Then sit on it. Cram your fist down its throat as far as you can and it will not be able to close its jaws. Then, take your free hand , and grasp the upper jaw, while pulling your other hand from down its throat, grasp the lower jaw. It will be trying to bite down, but you can prevent this. Now, violently and quickly spread its upper and lower jaws until they break. Its ugly at best, and you will get bit, but when unarmed and attacked this will work. Make sure and have it tested for rabies.

I am a dog lover, and this is only meant for instructional purposes if attacked by vicious dog where you have limited options.

We have had our fair share of Pit Bull charging people around where I live, owners being careless and then acting agressive after saying their dogs were mild mannered and can't understand what got into them when they went over the fence after someone. Again adding they were the friendliest dogs around.

They get a dirt nap around these parts if someone has a mind to do that.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Regardless of how this post may be viewed, if a medium to large size dog is charging at a group that may consist of my wife (pregnant or not) and my child(ren), my first instinct will be to protect them. If that means shooting the dog, fine. If that means putting myself between them and it, fine. The consequences are worth it.

It is impossible to say that you shouldn't use deadly force against a dog because it may be mild mannered or because it looks harmless or because it's just a dog and you can fight it off. Often, pit injuries are so serious amputation and death often occur as a result. Not saying it'd be an easy shot (probably next to impossible) but I'd definitely try, assuming I knew what was behind my target.

VIP Member
    For all you "ain't the world a wonderful place, fairytale, sugarcoated land of lollipops, and gingerbread houses", Rose colored wearing glasses don't shoot poor fido.

GO Jump in the lake!!!
    I like dogs as much as most people, but,,, watch the videos , the first of a rotweiler charging officers from a house into the street, and tell me your going to kneel down and see if it wanted to play.
    It was supposedly still a puppy.
    1:27 min.
    YouTube - Dog attacks Police Officer Taser Full News Report

This one shows some comprehensive work done , measuring the bite force of various dogs , and wild animals as well.
    6:45mi.
    YouTube - Which dog has the highest bite force in the world? It comes down to the larger domestic dogs.

At the moment a dog begins to charge, you cannot ascertain whether or not it wants to play.
    Base on the notion that you know the dog, and its shown no aggression in the past is NO indication that today won't get bloody and ugly in a hurry.
    Just ask the people whose dogs killed/ate/mauled an infant, or elderly member of their own family, someone the animal knew.

I'll prepare for battle with the K-9, you guys can see if it wants to play fetch.
    rson63 and silo like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

RKM
    I have mixed emotions about this. I have a very friendly dog that likes to charge and lick. I'm a dog lover and I couldn't imagine killing one. But like glockman said, we as human being can easily overpower a dog, but we have to be willing to take a few bites. I've played with my dogs (rough, but friendly), 80lbs and the other is 130lbs. As a grown man, I can over power them if I truely wanted to, but I'd have to be willing to take a few nasty bites.

I think the best defense against a dog would be OC. People can fight through OC, but it's unlikely a dog will try due to their sensative nose.

If your dog looks aggressive and is charging my pregnant wife or children its going to get killed. Keep your animals on a leash if you don't want someone dumping a mag of .45 into it. I'm an animal lover and dog owner but completely with "oneshot" on this issue you have no way in knowing within a split second if fido wants to lick your face or rip your throat out and I'm not risking my families safety on that gamble.

I think it is important to note the distinction between preparing for a possible attack and defending against an attack that has not yet happened. Preemptive action is rarely justified against humans or dogs.
    GoBigOrange and ncsteveh like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I can pet most dogs and get along with dogs in general than I do with humans. However. I've also noticed that some dogs are real happy to see something they can maul and kill, and I cannot tell the difference between the way they act when they hope to get petted and when they hope to attack.

A loose dog acting like that? Kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think it is important to note the distinction between preparing for a possible attack and defending against an attack that has not yet happened. Preemptive action is rarely justified against humans or dogs.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

Guantes,
    can you elaborate on your statement.

If someone is charging at me across a lawn, with a weapon, with bloodlust in their eyes, are you saying I should wait until the attack happens before I drop them?Not arguing, just asking for clarification.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links