You walk out of Walmart.

This is a discussion on You walk out of Walmart. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kelcarry You become a good witness, get the license and other info in your head and call 911--that is what you do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: You walk out of Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    You become a good witness, get the license and other info in your head and call 911--that is what you do and nothing else.
    BINGO!
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

2. Remove Ads

On first read it instanly sounds like a fraternity prank or some sort of hazing. I would probably just chuckle remembering my days in a fraternity and walk to my car laughing.

If its a woman or child or seems like a more lethal encounter, I would get a description, license plate and call 911. Nothing else, I'm not a cop and I'm not going to ruin my life trying to "help" a situation.

It's not being a coward, it comes from experience knowing that your attempt to help, even those in need may often end your butt in hot water in our modern litigious society.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    This happened to me, but before I had a carry permit. I called 911 on the cell, gave them the vehicle description and license plate. They had the van pulled over within minutes on a felony stop.

What happened? Bunch of high school kids doing an initiation for a sports team. I bet the felony stop experience really helped them bond.
    Anymore, exactly what I would do .... and.... I'm betting it did help them "bond" from the shared experience. As well as a , "what NOT to do next time".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Oakchas, the point I was trying to make is that there is no set right or wrong answer for this, obviously most cases would not call for the first option I detailed, I was merely being facetious. Since my sarcasm was not perceived as such I will edit my original post to make it more apparent, thank you for bringing it to my attention. However that would still be an option depending on circumstances. The circumstances surrounding the question posed by the op would and should dictate the response. Someone screaming help me help me, or oh god not my son let go of my son, is obviously of more sinister nature than, lets say, "dude get in here, your in for a wild ride." One should layer their responses and escalate as the situation escalates. Personally if it were my niece being grabbed into a van, or someone I knew, I would be alot more aggresive in making sure they did not go with whoever was attacking them and would hope that were I not around someone would step in and intervene. If it was as simple as calling 911 every time we had an emergency, noone would have a reason to carry a gun, but sometimes there are situations that require immediate action up to and including a lethal option and a child being abducted IMO would be one of those situations.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I remember a kidnapping in Florida within the last couple years,motorist saw the victim in the rear seat and they looked distressed,they called 911 and reported it,It happened to be an LEO's daughter taken from her home,they looked for the vehicle and eventually stopped it.The perp had already molested and killed her.If I see something similar and it looks hinky,I will tail the vehicle and give updates to the dispatcher until LEO's can intercept
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    In this case, with the information presented which is probably less than would be perceived in person, I would call 911, possibly get a pic, veh descrip, susp descrip, possibly follow at a distance.
    Sounds about right. This is the age of YouTube. Cellphones with movie cameras. Anytime you see young people acting weird in public, assume it's headed for the Net. Your firearm is more for your protection in the event that the van in question is there for you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

During my carry permit course, the instructor presented a similar scenario.

You're in a mall parking lot when you see a bearded man with tatoos forcing a small boy into a truck. The child is kicking and screaming. Realizing that a kidnapping is taking place before your eyes, you draw your gun. The man sees you and also draws a pistol. You fire first.

Later, you learn that the man you shot is also a handgun permit holder and is the child's father. The child was upset about having to leave the mall. Since he's dead, there's no telling what the man thought when he saw you pull a gun and point it at him. Video security cameras in the parking lot have recorded the entire incident.

Just that quickly, your life is ruined.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Puleeze atctimmy: Wilting daisy? You go on to say what guantes has to say and that is you do the most you can with the least intervention essentially as a good citizen, who is not even CC. My point in my reply was the fact that I tend to read into many forum member replies their seemingly validated opinion that once they are CC, they are now guardians of the law and can and will deal with any inequities or violence or potential violence around them since they are CC. That is, IMO, not what CC is all about.

Take as many pics with my phone as possible, including the tag, and call 911. Let them determine what, if anything, is going on.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Given the described scenario in the opening post, and not bothering to read all the replies, I would summon the local authorities and provide what assistance I could in the manner of vehicle descriptions and possible criminal actors descriptions.

Notice the word "possible" here folks. I don't know what's going on, and I sure as heck am not going to interject myself in to such a situation. Very little seperates the "hero" from the "zero".

Biker
    Harryball likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you BikerRN. Unfortunately I get the feeling there are some out there, perhaps buoyed by the anonymity of the forum, who talk a lot of talk, which is cheap, but, in reality, have no intention of walking their walk. As you said, very little separates "hero" from "zero". It is my hope that when I read dangerous and reckless bravado, it is only words.

Once they are CC, they are now guardians of the law
    and can and will deal with any inequities or violence
    or potential violence around them... LOL

CCW Man!
    Fights the unending battle for truth, justice, and the American way.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my shirt i wear for my superhero antics just has a big picture of a gun and a friendly CCW cape sewn to the back of it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Puleeze atctimmy: Wilting daisy? You go on to say what guantes has to say and that is you do the most you can with the least intervention essentially as a good citizen, who is not even CC. My point in my reply was the fact that I tend to read into many forum member replies their seemingly validated opinion that once they are CC, they are now guardians of the law and can and will deal with any inequities or violence or potential violence around them since they are CC. That is, IMO, not what CC is all about.
    Let's clear up a few things here.

1) I wasn't replying or inferring to you in any way. I was replying to PAcanis. That's what those nifty quotes are for.

2) I chimed in with my opinion in post #8. Gaunts didn't get here until post #13. If you want to blame someone for plagiarism, blame someone other than me.

3) In post #14 I was reiterating what I had already written in post 8.

"Puleeze" read more carefully next time.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    During my carry permit course, the instructor presented a similar scenario.

You're in a mall parking lot when you see a bearded man with tatoos forcing a small boy into a truck. The child is kicking and screaming. Realizing that a kidnapping is taking place before your eyes, you draw your gun. The man sees you and also draws a pistol. You fire first.

Later, you learn that the man you shot is also a handgun permit holder and is the child's father. The child was upset about having to leave the mall. Since he's dead, there's no telling what the man thought when he saw you pull a gun and point it at him. Video security cameras in the parking lot have recorded the entire incident.

Just that quickly, your life is ruined.
    That sounds just like me and one of my kids, she's half black and i'm 6'5" 300 lbs and all sorts of tats and white as you can get (meaning she looks nothing like me at all) and you could swear that i must be kidnappin her the way we play around sometimes, kindda scary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links