Answer the door... - Page 2

Answer the door...

This is a discussion on Answer the door... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AlexHassin At the minimum I will still look through the peep hole and ask “who is it?” Bullets will go through doors. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Answer the door...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    At the minimum I will still look through the peep hole and ask “who is it?”
    Bullets will go through doors.

I'll look out a window for a vehicle; before I look through the peep hole. After I look out for a second or two to get a good description, I then step back and move to the side; before I let the person on the other side know someone is home.

why are people so scared to answer the door? If i was that paranoid I would check myself into a mental institution.

Answer the Door? Me, Maybe. But I always let the "knocker" someone is in the house. No sense in just ignoring it. They might just think no one is home & try to get in. Home invasion odds are small - but the odds increase for a crime of opportunity by letting someone think the house is empty.
    Last edited by BigBadBang; March 16th, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBang View Post
    Answer the Door? Me, Maybe. But I always let the "knocker" someone is in the house. No sense in just ignoring it. They might just think no one is home & try to get in. Home invasion odds are small - but the odds increase for a crime of opportunity by letting someone think the house is empty.
    That's one thing I tend to agree with BBB.

I still answer the door. Hand on gun.

Had a guy knock on our door the other day. It was an older Mexican guy, who looked pretty dirty and probably homeless or near homeless with his '70's era bike parked on the sidewalk. I opened the inner door since I can't hear through it, but left the outer door bolted, and yelled through the glass, and this conversation ensued:
    Me: "What do you want?"
    Him: "Are you the homeowner?"
    Me: "No, what do you want?"
    Him: "Talk to homeowner"
    Me: "Wait." (closed and bolted the inner door) Luckily my dad was walking in the room by this point. He asked what the guy wanted and I told him he wanted to talk to him (dad).
    By that time the guy had walked down to the sidewalk and was looking back at the house, so my dad went out and asked him what he wanted. Apparently the guy can't see very well because he wanted to replace our new siding and windows with his new siding and windows, and "fix chimney." Ya, no thanks buddy.

If you come to my door and I don't know you, there's no way I'm being rolling out the red carpet, especially if you act suspicious. I live by the words "Be polite to everyone you meet, but be prepared to kill them."
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I answer the door (I am willing to help someone if they need it) but i have an ace in the hole - everyone comes to the front door which is key locked on both sides - i answer the side door which is glass so i get a good look and there is considerable distance between us. They have to talk to me from afar when i open the side door, so i have a chance to access the person - if they don't look and talk right - i just tell them i'm not interested and go back in the side door and shut it. They get the point.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

After my 2 mi. jog last evening I came home an was relaxing for awhile....our GS goes off and I hear my wife speaking to someone on the other side of the front door. Heard her say we weren't interested and told him to leave. By the time I got to the door he was already gone and the dog was watching through the living room window......I commended my wife for not opening the door and the dog for alerting......she's starting to "Get It".

If I dont know you, I dont answer my door. Period. Knock all you want.

I always look out the window to see who it is before I answer the door. I have always done that, even 25 years ago when things were safer. I still live in a very safe neighborhood, but there have been some home burglaries in recent years.

It isn't the same, though as it was 25 years ago. When we were thinking about moving there, a co-worker said the water tasted bad, so the family and I drove out there one Saturday. We stopped at someones house and I knocked on their door and asked them for a drink of water. The guy was extremely friendly, invited me in and got me a nice cold drink. It turns out the the old water system had a well go salty, but they drilled a new one that produced decent tasting water.

VIP Member
    Good, bad or indifferent, I have a full-length triple-pane lead crystal Pella front entry door. I can readily see through the light diffracting sections, although the knocker can’t do the same. At night, this is especially the case when the entry lighting is on, whereby the view from the outside is totally blanked out to the visitor. I almost always grab my snub or the OC device that’s located on a cubby’ right next to the door. The garage entry has its own doorbell although no peephole as of yet. Thanks for reminding me of that unfinished task.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'll always answer the door but not before a very loud "Who is it", I never look through the peep first due to that sinking feeling of looking through the peep hole and catching the glance of a jacketed round. I'll Check the window, which is right beside the door, and my weapon is usually very close or in hand depending on the visibility out the window. We also have a Boston Terrier and while not neccesarily the deadliest canine in the world, he is a very good guard dog and produces a pretty deep bark when someone is near. Its a whole new ballgame now that I have a wife and son, some people dont realize that I wont hesitate to kill to protect my family, and I would expect the same from any husband/wife/father/mother.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Cool

U/315
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

+1 I really like that signature.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    That is why I don't answer my door after 6PM at night. All I do is take a tactical position behind concealment and ask "Who is there?". If it is not someone I know, I just tell him/her/them "Wrong address". They don't like it, that's too bad. If that was a friend or family member, they usually call first before coming to my place unexpected.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can see who's there without opening it. Whoever's out there may not want me to open the door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    why are people so scared to answer the door? If i was that paranoid I would check myself into a mental institution.
    You wanna bury your head in the sand and take risks, be my guest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links