BG's in my barn ! Photo added!

This is a discussion on BG's in my barn ! Photo added! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a couple of old barns at a pasture that is on a major highway that no one lives nearby. We use them to ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: BG's in my barn ! Photo added!

VIP Member

I've got a couple of old barns at a pasture that is on a major highway that no one lives nearby. We use them to store stuff that is too good to throw away though not good enough to keep around our main shop. For example, used lumber, empty barrels, old tractor tires, empty buckets, hay, a few old cars, etc

I don't go there very often, (not daily), but I do pass by there maybe several times a day. Today I discovered footprints belonging to a "couple of guys" that have been sneaking in there. I guess they've been a few times apparently looking for something worthwhile to steal, particularly copper or aluminum. The old place had been originally wired with Romex, none of it worked, in fact there's no electricity anyway. They've been cutting down that old copper wire and hauling it out of there on foot.

I'm pretty sure they live nearby, in fact they left my buckets they used, in the woods, on the way to their house. Inside my barn are plenty of fresh footprints, cigarette butts, empty chip bag, and stuff moved around from their visit. It was pretty easy to see where they would come and go on the backside of the barn, away from the highway.

I'm pretty sure they are easing in there very late in the afternoon, while there is still enough light to see, then leaving right at dusk so they can see their way through the dry creek bed they are using as a trail.

I called the local SO to report this burglary and after some discussion I asked that they not come right away to take a report/pictures etc, I didn't want my nearby "neighbors" to see a marked patrol car out there, and I also requested that they not make frequent passes yet. I don't want to risk spooking these guys too quick. I'll get a detective in an unmarked car out to make his report early next week. I told the deputy that I'll be doing a "sit and watch" over the weekend, if I see anything I'll call it in by cell phone and let them handle it. Late this afternoon I got a ride that dropped me off nearby and I walked to a spot on the opposite side of the road so I could watch and listen from a distance. I stayed until well after dark.

I'll make some random checks and do some more "sit and watch" this weekend, plus tomorrow I'm going to set up some hidden game cams.

If these guys show up, they'll be in the barn for a while, they've probably gotten fairly comfortable with their new job. I'll phone it in, stay on the line if they want me to, and I think the SO will have plenty of time to show up and catch them red-handed.

I'll update this and let ya'll know what went on, maybe nothing, but we'll see what happens. They haven't gotten all of the wire out, so there is some motivation for them to return. BTW I sat in the middle of a pretty big thicket/briar patch that had me well-hidden plus there would be no sneaking up on me.

I'm going to do this in a manner to keep me on the up-and-up, but I couldn't help thinking how funny it would be to lock up a bad bull in that barn, or use one of those signal trip wire devices that uses 12 gauge blanks. I'll enjoy the thoughts, but won't put them in practice.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Bummer. How about a game camera?

Scrap value is high right now. There are people scouring for it here, you can really make some money if you know what you are doing.

(DUH just reread and see you are already onto the game cams)

Good luck with the BG hunting. I hope you and your local SO can catch them. I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard, nor take too long. They seem to have made themselves comfortable. Keep us posted.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Besides the game cams it may be a good idea to have a handheld video camera with good telephoto capabilities, be nice to print out some 8X10 glossies with them in the act.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Do you know anyone with one of these???

They would most likely curb your problem in a hurry!!!
    Attached Images
    mano3 and crossfireltd like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Your action is probably the most sensible, albeit short on the fun end.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

What a deal!

A true story from my grandfather. They were city dwellers. He had a set of tires stolen off his car (at home) during WWII, and tires were rationed to civilians. His brother-the electrician helped him setup a hefty charge that would either electrocuted the perp when they touched the car, or the wheel. I can't remember which. They did make sure that it was not enought to terminate the victim, but enought to teach a tough lesson. Sure enough, the perp came back, soon. My GF heard a loud AAAAAAAHHHHHHH, and the sound of trash cans or stuff getting knocked over, and they couldn't find the BG.

He was not bothered by the perp(s) again.
    vca2004, RichB70 and pittypat21 like this.
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Your action is probably the most sensible, albeit short on the fun end.
    True and that's a heartbreaker right there, because lot's of fun ideas exist. I can even fantasize about a bucket filled with hog poop, positioned high to tip over on them as they enter the barn. If I had that filmed it might go viral on You Tube.

Fun ideas aside I really need a game cam pic of them inside my barn, if I get the chance I'll be working on that today. I'm even considering buying the uploader attachement that hooks to my Moultrie that will send their picture to my cell phone. Phone beeps with mail..........contains photo of BG.........call SO........BG's caught at the scene.

BTW I haven't touched my buckets they left in the woods, if I move them the BG's will know that I (or someone) is wise to their break ins.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Got a 'disposable' gun? Pull the firing pin and leave it in the barn. When they steal that, they've most likely gone to a new level of Felony depending on state law.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You are a sneky guy. Good luck hunting.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would set up a camera inside the barn to ID them and try to get them arrested for trespassing and theft. Afterwards, I would get a Rottweiler, lock the barn tightly with tough locks and put a barb wire fence around it.

Good luck with your crook hunt! I hope you get those sleaze balls!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Too bad you can't use one of these............

Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Claymores and a backhoe to bury what's left...I like it!
    RKflorida and mano3 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

TASER Shockwave

Taser Shockwave would be a less than lethal method and not as messy as the Claymore.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    UPDATE:
    Eased up there last night about 11 pm, I shouldn't say how I did it, but if they were there, they wouldn't have known I was there. I watched for a good while, no flickers of light, no sounds, no nothing. I rode by there early this morning the buckets and little cart they'd previously left in the woods were still laying there unchanged. I rode by again late morning, nothing to report. This afternoon I snuck in on the back side of the barns and saw nothing newly disturbed, while I was there I hid two game cam's set on video record. Tomorrow I might try and buy the accessory for the Moultrie so it sends out any pics it takes to my cell phone, that's like having a burglar motion alarm up there !!!

They'll be back next time they need some cash.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links