use of force with non carrying friends and family

This is a discussion on use of force with non carrying friends and family within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so would the ideal situation in the minds of everyone here be to let the people you tend to be around the most know you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: use of force with non carrying friends and family

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    so would the ideal situation in the minds of everyone here be to let the people you tend to be around the most know you carry and are proficient with a weapon, or to only trust a select few that are always with you when you are with others?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

There is no ideal situation when getting into a deadly force scenario.

I don't hang around folks who don't know me well enough to know that I carry, so that isn't an issue with me, for others it might be. That is their call.

However if folks don't have the mindset to carry on a daily basis, at least something for defensive purposes, then they probably aren't going to have the mindset to engage the threat, or the fight mechanism. IE, they will be using the flight mechanism that shows up when fear sets in. There is a possibility that the freeze mechanism would come out with some, but if your doing your part to move off the x when engaging, your hopefully going to get them out of the fight.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Please feel free to add comments, concerns, and corrections where you feel I may have been inadequate or lacking or even completely wrong. These are just my thoughts and are in no means an expert opinion. I wrote this on little sleep and with a migraine so take it with a grain of salt. Based on limited experience on my part and the training I have acquired thus far this is how I would react in this situation. It may or may not work for you and is not intended as a how to guide for self defense with a unarmed and unaware group of people. What are your thoughts?
    I think you have either over thought or under thought this. Same as others here, those close to me know I carry or at least know better than to be touching me in a threat scenario. My family and loved ones have discussed and have a plan of action if there is a threat. I suggest you do the same.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I already have, my family all knows i am armed and mom is armed, but i have a few friends who i dont really consider close that dont know for sure i carry, if you have facebook and are my friend, you would know im a shooter at least, but most dont know i actually CARRY a gun with me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Well every couple/group dynamic is different I expect. Speaking of just me and the wife: She admits that her SA is zero. I watch for both of us. She knows me well enought that if I speak firmly to her, use our private "alarm" word , or forcefully move her behind me or even suddenly swap positions (left/right) someting is up. Could we be better,,, sure and I work on it every chance I get. Most everybody I am with knows I carry. If I could be really good at only ONE thing it would be SA. It seems to me that that alone will keep me out or more jams than any other one thing.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    so would the ideal situation in the minds of everyone here be to let the people you tend to be around the most know you carry and are proficient with a weapon, or to only trust a select few that are always with you when you are with others?
    My take on this is: the only people I hang out with carry as well. I don't get friendly with people who are much different than I am. Other than people I work with which is a forced association, I just don't tend to make friends with folks who tend to be of the anti-gun, or just not into self defense mentality. About the only time i am around people who are not very similar to me in that respect would be when I am at work or at an event that attracts people of differing backgrounds. Other than work, those are very few and far between.
    Spec likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I open carry and my girlfriend know that if i say we need to leave now not to ask questions and I will explain later usually its because i picked up a slight threat no nessiscarily toward her or my self just something that could be a bad situation, no if i go code orange to her or myself she knows as well because my posture changes and she also knows that if anything was to ever happen find a safe place and call 911
    Spec likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links