Subway station, that could have been Bad.

This is a discussion on Subway station, that could have been Bad. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Subway station, that could have been worse. Not good at writing our reports or scenarios so hear it goes. Tell me what you guys think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Subway station, that could have been Bad.

Subway station, that could have been Bad.

Subway station, that could have been worse.
    Not good at writing our reports or scenarios so hear it goes. Tell me what you guys think and please critique and grill me on what you would have done differently. Also its long because I am still working on brevity.
    So I it is 1230 Saturday morning in Manhattan by central park. I have just met up with my GF( now ex but GF at the time) who wants me to spend the night at her apartment because there was an attempted break in last night according to her roommate who was sleeping in a hotel room that night. We got to the subway station and I swipe through first after going through she says she has to talk to someone and will be back in a minute. She then goes back up the stairs. Some of you might know this station it’s the Columbus 59th street one. There is a pillar that you can lean up against and look through lattice work at the main stairs, and make phone calls from there. Anywise that’s the position I took to watch.
    Its dark but I can see that she is talking to an African-American Male. He is about 6 3 and I would say north of 230 lbs. at least 40 y/o, dressed in green suit, green tie with a gold pentagon lapel pin, some of these details I observed when he got closer to me. I cannot tell what they are saying but they both seam agitated. Anywise my GF comes back down the stairs and says she cant go back to the apartment, and asks me to take her bag back. at this point the individual comes down the stairs and starts yelling at me to give her the bag and her keys back. I waited for her to tell me too as I try to get the guys name or something similar. We are talking through the fence that separates those that swiped through form those that did not and the station was relatively empty. This only irritated him and made him louder and more visibly angry. Anywise she tells me to and I hand her the keys and him the bag over the turn stall. She then leaves with the guy.
    As I find out latter he was a friend of her mothers. He saw her going on to the subway with me and thought she was leaving whit some hood rat.
    As my after action analysis. If I was there again I would have shot a cell phone pic of the guy in case things where not as legit as they ended up. also the only weapon I had on me at the time was a tactical flashlight, better than nothing. However if things had gone south physically I had a major size disadvantage. I am re thinking my position on not owning or carrying pepper spray.
    Last edited by AlexHassin; March 20th, 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: title

2. Remove Ads

First thing here, a lot of drama. Shes either with you or not. If I had been with her and she left me to talk to this guy like that, I would have sat her crap down and been gone. Do not get caught up in other peoples drama.

Second thing, he was a friend of her mother? Sounds like alot of emotions envolved there to me. I would guess that you didnt spend the night with her in the apartment that night? I wonder who kept her safe?

Third, a non lethal force is always good to have. But staying away from crap people will take you far.

The only problem I see here is how you pick your friends...pretty simple!
    640girl, Lewis128, sig777 and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Subway station, that could have been worse.
    Not good at writing our reports or scenarios so hear it goes. Tell me what you guys think and please critique and grill me on what you would have done differently. Also its long because I am still working on brevity.
    So I it is 1230 Saturday morning in Manhattan by central park. I have just met up with my GF( now ex but GF at the time) who wants me to spend the night at her apartment because there was an attempted break in last night according to her roommate who was sleeping in a hotel room that night. We got to the subway station and I swipe through first after going through she says she has to talk to someone and will be back in a minute. She then goes back up the stairs. Some of you might know this station it’s the Columbus 59th street one. There is a pillar that you can lean up against and look through lattice work at the main stairs, and make phone calls from there. Anywise that’s the position I took to watch.
    Its dark but I can see that she is talking to an African-American Male. He is about 6 3 and I would say north of 230 lbs. at least 40 y/o, dressed in green suit, green tie with a gold pentagon lapel pin, some of these details I observed when he got closer to me. I cannot tell what they are saying but they both seam agitated. Anywise my GF comes back down the stairs and says she cant go back to the apartment, and asks me to take her bag back. at this point the individual comes down the stairs and starts yelling at me to give her the bag and her keys back. I waited for her to tell me too as I try to get the guys name or something similar. We are talking through the fence that separates those that swiped through form those that did not and the station was relatively empty. This only irritated him and made him louder and more visibly angry. Anywise she tells me to and I hand her the keys and him the bag over the turn stall. She then leaves with the guy.
    As I find out latter he was a friend of her mothers. He saw her going on to the subway with me and thought she was leaving whit some hood rat.
    As my after action analysis. If I was there again I would have shot a cell phone pic of the guy in case things where not as legit as they ended up. also the only weapon I had on me at the time was a tactical flashlight, better than nothing. However if things had gone south physically I had a major size disadvantage. I am re thinking my position on not owning or carrying pepper spray.
    Here's the key part. "She then goes back up the stairs." She did that of her own volition and obviously knew the guy. You of course weren't in on what the relationship was, particularly as you didn't perhaps know her well.

It actually worked out as well as it could have, all things considered. And if he was her pimp, you really maybe wouldn't want her for a GF, so get the heck out of dodge.

To protect yourself, OC, as that is obviously the only thing we peasants can have in the subways, can we?

Usually a busy station like that has some transit cops floating around. I wouldn't be out at that place at that time of day, especially not headed N from there into the wilds of The Bronx on the D, but since there you were, about all you could do before hand is the situational awareness thing of noting where the transit cops are hanging out.

Alex buddy, move the heck out of NYC. I did 45 years back and I've never regretted it. Too expensive, too crowded, too everything; let Bloomberg and Cuomo have it. I'd find some Indians and offer to give it back plus 24 bucks in gold coin.

She is an ex for a reason. From what I was told latter that guy was the husband of her mother’s Best Friend. I am a little wary of OC because I have asthma but I am thinking I have some research to do.

Hopyard, I have a love hate relationship with this city. I do plan to leave in the future but I don’t know where yet. also before the whole break in dram I was suppose to spend the night partying with friends on 14th street. so i was supose to be free of anything weirder then union square.

I'm still not sure what the problem is, besides picking better girlfriends

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Usually a busy station like that has some transit cops floating around. I wouldn't be out at that place at that time of day, especially not headed N from there into the wilds of The Bronx on the D, but since there you were, about all you could do before hand is the situational awareness thing of noting where the transit cops are hanging out.

found this and thought it was quite funney, and true

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    First thing here, a lot of drama. Shes either with you or not. If I had been with her and she left me to talk to this guy like that, I would have sat her crap down and been gone. Do not get caught up in other peoples drama.
    Yup. Far as I would have been concerned she made a choice she was going to have to live with.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

That is funny. Although they left out Pelham Bay Park (the way to get to Country Club).

VIP Member
    That kind of humor doesn't tickle my funny bone.

I just figured out over the years that I liked small towns and smaller cities a lot better. I've lived in everything from Hayfield, MN (population 900 at the time) to NYC, with stops in small town rural CT, Columbus, OH, Rochester, MN, Ames, IA, and even Guelph, Ontario. It used to be that shopping was tricky outside of bigger cities, but nowadays you can find anything you need at a big box store within driving distance, pretty much no matter where you live. I had enough of the subway two hours a day from Van Courtland Park to Atlantic Ave.

Before I retired I drove to work in 6 to 8 minutes or bicycled; or when I was younger I could walk and jog.

We should talk about this stuff by PM so I don't insult someone who loves NYC. Get a good education, with some technical stuff; even the EMT/ criminal justice stuff you have talked about and make a good life for yourself.

P.S. For complete disclosure, my son, having been raised in small town burbs now lives in Center City, Phila, and wouldn't set foot in small town USA. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Stay safe.

There is a reason some people are referred to as "Ex".

Biker

As the saying goes. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere.

Side note. One day my employee calls me from my Bronx location. Adam you are never going to believe this but there is a guy drive a van who is looking to sell a lion. WHAT? I swear to god he is trying to sell a lion. He wants $600.00 with the cage for it. Ok,that great but who is going to put the thing back in the cage in the morning.

VIP Member
    Should have bought the lion. Better deterrent than a couple of pit bulls.

Distinguished Member
    All personal feelings aside, you did well to consider personal property rights in the heat of heads coming lose. Good observational skills. Implies control.
    My question is: why is this a DC scenario? Are you carrying in NY subways? What's your permit number? 00004? Your name wouldn't be Goetz?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Have you taken or considered taking martial arts classes? I studied Aikido for a few months (only reason I didn't continue is there isn't a dojo where I live now) and the whole premise is using an attackers force against them. So a 230 lbs guy simply hits the pavement harder, LOL. I plan on continuing my training someday, and would definitely make it a priority if I lived in a place where I couldn't carry.

Don't know where exactly in NYC you are, but I know there's a dojo in the Bronx. I had a chance to move up there and study about a year ago, but it fell through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links