Mall Parking lot

Mall Parking lot

This is a discussion on Mall Parking lot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today i was on my way in to the recruiting office to help my SFC with some paperwork on new recruits and was in uniform ...

Mall Parking lot

Today i was on my way in to the recruiting office to help my SFC with some paperwork on new recruits and was in uniform at the time this happened. I was going into the mall and my girlfriend was with me and walking past a truck a man shouts at me come over here, the man is standing outside of his truck behind his open car door and i can't see his hands. He starts to move as if mad and immediately slide my hand into my pocket were my gerber is, my girlfriend behind me scared as he walks over asking what unit im in and that he was sorry and didn't mean to scare me, thanks me for my service and explains that he was a vet that was in vietnam and had ptsd ... the guy was synical about killing charlies and said good bye and walked off... i was surprised. The main thing that scared me was when he yelled telling me to come over when i couldn't see his hands, i thought he honestly ment harm but glad things didn't exel into to situation i thought it would.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey guard: Fiirst off thank you and God Bless you for your service. I have a son in law who is in the SC Army NG and is going to Afghan this summer. As far as your thread, situational awareness is the preeminent thought that comes to mind. "Things" happen each and every day. Some are like the one you describe and others are not so good. Whereever you are you must have a mindset of your total surroundings and should always be thinking about the potential problems and the possible reactions. This does not mean you should be paranoid everytime you leave your home, but just be aware. That is why I read and reply to these forums---it is amazing how so many different people can either come up with "what ifs" or have experienced a situation that I never thought of. I literally have a treasure chest of "what ifs" that can only benefit me. I do believe, however, that unless you live in "unfortunate" parts of this country, you probably will never encounter anything remotely requiring your gerber or a firearm. I am 69 and for 59 of those years lived in NY/NJ, hardly an oasis of peace and harmony, and have never had a reason to even think "firearm" or "self defense". Once again, I thank you for your service and wish you and your girlfriend good health, peace and happiness.

Happy everything worked out ok. There were a lot of guys who got their brains scrambled in Vietnam! Not their fault, just the way it was.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In todays world you don't know what kinda response being in uniform might bring,could be some crazy decided to start his own little Jihad,I usually will start with excuse me,I just want to thank you for your sacrifices you made.It's usually at the VA clinic I see these guys,and most are there for treatment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    GuardMT--Hooah!! These days, you just never know--so as kelcarry said--good SA is the key. One of my sons-in-law is currently in Afghanistan and was just home on his 2 weeks leave--we talked about how he is ALWAYS living in condition orange--his being back home, in his own bed with our daughter and kids, allowed him to come down in his SA and relax--which was very good for him. In your situation, glad things stayed calm and good--but you just NEVER know. And as Hiram said, LOTS of guys who were in Viet Nam came back with multiple emotional/mental health issues--our recent past crop of Generals were young officers over there, and they made solem vows to NOT do to our current generation of soldiers (like yourself), what our system did to the guys who served our country in SE Asia.

Keep your head about you, check your 6 and always pay attention to those spidey senses.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Why would you respond to a man yelling at you and standing behind cover especially with your girl friend in tow.....?

1 Don't do stupid things.
    2-Don't hang around stupid people.
    3-Don't go to stupid places.

Which one of the above did you violate...?
    Lucky he only wanted your attention and nothing else.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Happy everything worked out ok. There were a lot of guys who got their brains scrambled in Vietnam! Not their fault, just the way it was.
    I agree; we cannot blame them and it is nothing to laugh at either. We have to understand why they are like that; we all own them it. Glad everything ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Why would you respond to a man yelling at you and standing behind cover especially with your girl friend in tow.....?

3-Don't go to stupid places

None, im a assistant recruiter and people want my attention a lot of times when im in uniform for questions or just thank me, im not implying vietnam vets are bad and im not talking down on them, i know all either keep o themselves or are open to others, I've talked with both sides
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post

3-Don't go to stupid places.

Too bad we aren't all as perfect as xXxplosive. For those of us who aren't, though, then it's less about when you find yourself in a bad situation than about what you do when you find yourself there. Sounds like Guard did OK, although I find it ludicrous in today's world that our uniformed men are unarmed in any place other than the secure section of an airport.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Too bad we aren't all as perfect as xXxplosive. For those of us who aren't, though, then it's less about when you find yourself in a bad situation than about what you do when you find yourself there. Sounds like Guard did OK, although I find it ludicrous in today's world that our uniformed men are unarmed in any place other than the secure section of an airport.
    Yea, regulations stink. Wish i could carry while in uniform

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    heck i wish our military was armed and issued weapons at ALL times, instead of just in a war zone
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

first off, thanks for serving, from a Vet here as well.

Second, I have found mall parking lots to be some of the more dangerous places that people typically go. Good job handling it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links