Adrenaline rush on tour in New Jersey

This is a discussion on Adrenaline rush on tour in New Jersey within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a bit of a rush over the weekend. I play drums in a touring band, and this landed me in Vineyard, NJ on Sunday ...

Thread: Adrenaline rush on tour in New Jersey

Adrenaline rush on tour in New Jersey

Had a bit of a rush over the weekend. I play drums in a touring band, and this landed me in Vineyard, NJ on Sunday night. New Jersey does not honor my Michigan CPL, so it would not have been legal for me to carry. Relaxing at the venue, I decided I could use a cigar, and remembered there being a liquor store not 3 blocks away.
    I took the van and a friend up to the store, pull in the parking lot. Small parking lot/big van, so I pull in and just park sideways, parallel with the storefront, but a good 20 feet from the door. I can see a group of 5 or so men standing at the door, and at least a few are drunk. But, whatever, I'm from Flint and that tends to be the rule rather than the exception, so I wasn't overly worried at this point. While sitting looking for money or something petty like that, I notice a big SUV backing out. The SUV is large and the parking lot small, so I pull forward a bit to give it room. It inches forward a bit, then honks. I pull forward a bit more, and am now beyond positive the SUV can get out. It honks again, and pulls up next to me. I really don't like where it's heading, so I try not to look anyone from the SUV (multiple occupants) in the eye, while keeping an eye on my mirrors to see how the people at the door are reacting.
    The SUV having sat next to me for a good 3-5 seconds without moving, people yelling at me, I notice one of the door loitering people has noticed the situation, and from his body language, thinks he has some interest or stake in it. I roll down the window to see what the SUV wants, wanting to diffuse the SUV situation before the man reaches us, which will be in seconds. I hear someone from the SUV yell something about moving the van and an alley, and realize I was obstructing a tiny alley that the SUV apparently had to drive down. Also note the SUV is driven by older lady, but with at least 3 maybe 4 other young (and loud/angry) occupants.
    Door man is almost to the van, and I can tell he has had a drink by his walk. I put the van in reverse, door man has made it to the window, and as soon as he opens his mouth I can tell he has actually had quite a few drinks. "N*** that's my motherf***in MOMMA right there you bet' move this motherf***in van before I bust your f***in ass" Immediately I get a huge adrenaline dump, and all I can think about is the nearest weapon (perhaps a 3" gerber) while continuing to get clear of the alley.
    The SUV, apparently taking joy from the situation with an almost sentimental grin on the woman, and the others cheering drunk on, slowly moves forward but then stops. I stop the van.
    I look at my friend, then back to the drunk, and just let loose with a huge laugh, looking him right in the eye. I can admit in retrospect that this was a questionable move, but my thinking wasnt the clearest, and my gut instinct told me this clown wasnt going to do anything, so I dont know. Drunks expression changed, and he says " you f***in laughin at me motherf***er?" Luckily, SUV pulls down the alley (guess it wasnt really his mom, who knew), and drunk man is stumbling backwards.
    Drunk man being 10 feet away from my door, no one coming to his aid, and the SUV gone, im feeling pretty confident, so i dont give him a response, jump out of the van, and move quickly to the door. Im getting my cigar, damn it. Drunk man is surprised that I have walked away or something, and is sort of just looking dazed as I go by. Go through the little crowd, get a lot of looks, but whatever. As im buying my cigar is when I first sort of realize what has just happened and that I got a big adrenaline dump, because i can barely take money out of my pocket or the cigar from the clerk my hands are shaking so bad. Drunk man comes through the door, extends his hand and says, "thats my momma dawg you know?" I accept the handshake (why not?), and the man asks me for a quarter. (?) I walk away and leave.
    Upon returning to the van my friend informs me that the drunk man, after i had walked into the store, was following me, talking about how he was going to shove a pistol in my face. my friend of course was worried and thinking that he might had to have stabbed this guy, but i assured him things were fine and the guy was just a drunk bum (dressed better than our cities bums) trying to flex on some out-of-towners.

All in all, it turned out to be a pretty harmless situation, but damn if it didnt get me all worked up. Thoughts?

Note i was driving a 15 passenger van and was effectively blocked in by the SUV/angle of my car to the building /group of people. Would have had to hit something or someone to have driven off.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I'm one who believes that you have a rigt to be anywhere you have a right to be. Without interference to that right from others.

There will be those that will say:
    Stupid places
    Stupid things
    Stupid people

I see their point, but I'm with you... If I wanna go, and I have a right to be there. It's my right. I don't think I'd have pursued it as far as you did... But, when your'e accustomed to the rabble, you get a gut feel as to who the really bad actors are, usually.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I understand the belief that one should be able to go wherever they have the right to be, but I also believe in choosing my battles wisely. There were so many indicators that this was a bad situation here. I'm glad you're instincts panned out that night, but things could just as easily have gone bad...very bad.

Sounds like it worked out ok.

If you roll the dice, you should be prepared for any number to come up.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

If you roll the dice, you should be prepared for any number to come up. {Quote}

Including "craps".
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    If it were not for idiots and drunks, I'd actually like bars. Oh well.

Andyw328, I'm glad this worked out okay. I understand that this is an occupational hazard for you. FWIW, I've been known to turn down business opportunities that put me further into harm's way. It's all a matter of weighing risk against reward. Or as it's been eloquently put before; "You lays your money down and you takes your chances".

After the SUV moved out of the way and gave me a clear exit, I would have left and found another place to get a cigar, or for me, cigarettes.

I have bad vibes from the place you described and I wasn't even there. When my gut gives me that feeling, I get away. It has saved my butt more times than I would like to admit.

Stupid places
    Stupid things
    Stupid people

Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

New Jersey.....too small to be a Republic and too large to be an Insane Assylum.

You figure it out....

Links