Wittnessing an abduction

This is a discussion on Wittnessing an abduction within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police: Woman Kidnapped Along Logan Street | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News The link above has been the big story for the past few days around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wittnessing an abduction

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Wittnessing an abduction

Police: Woman Kidnapped Along Logan Street | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

The link above has been the big story for the past few days around here. Basically a 25 year old mother of 3 was abducted outside of her work, there were witnesses but so far they have yet to find her. They do have suspects in custody though, her estranged husband and inlaws.

So the question i pose to my DC family. Its 1100pm (it can be anytime of day I guess, I am using the time this incident happened) and you are out for whatever reason and witness two men forcing a female or even child into a car. What do you do?

Here is what I think I would do. I MAY yell to try to distract them in order to maybe buy the victim a chance at getting away. I WOULD call 911 and I WOULD follow them if they were in a car reporting their position to the police. If they presented a threat to me, I WOULD engage them if necessary to survive the attack. I WOULD NOT engage them for the abduction as I obviously would not know the whole situation.

This happened in a small town where the biggest problem is speeders and maybe some small time drug users but thats it. This is the kind of town where everyone knows everyone and there are no secrets.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I would suggest DC members take a look at this link. An incident in the DC area about a year ago:

Video of Teen Forced Into Van Leads to Strange Twist

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I would suggest DC members take a look at this link. An incident in the DC area about a year ago:

Video of Teen Forced Into Van Leads to Strange Twist

This reinforces the action I would take, calling 911 and following but not engaging. It is a perfect case of not knowing the situation, which one must do before engaging with force. This is why I would let the police do their job and I would be a good witness.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    In the OP's post I'm dialing 911 and tailing them.
    Definitely not going to lose them for her sake.
    @ 11pm, they are obviously doing something perhaps not on the level.
    She is probably going to die, and they probably have the means to kill me as well.

In the other posted link of the bratty teen , not wanting to move to Fl. with here family, in broad daylight I'm probably driving up and parking in front, dialing 911 and seeing what the matter is.
    If They state she is family, and does not want to go to Fla., they should have enough patience to explain to the police when they show up, that its a legitimate move and shes just being a brat.

What would you guys do in this incident???

Me, I'm probably going to asess it for what it is, a kidnapping, and maybe intervene????

Easy call in this situation, because the couple were being carjacked, tough call talking yourself into taking a stand.
    I just envision one of my two daughters, and being out on a date, and going through this ordeal, and no one doing anything to prevent it from going to hell-in-a-handbasket.
    Kinda give's you that-throw-up-in-your-mouth feeling.

The Killings of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom

Graphic details emerge in Christian-Newsom killings Knoxville News Sentinel

Channon Christian, Christopher Newsom murders News for Knoxville, TN from Knoxville News Sentinel

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    garyacman likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

In your situation I am not sure how to handle it. Looks like it would be multiple armed assilaiants, not sure what i could do. I carry 16 to 30 rounds but I am not trained to engage so many at once as much as i would like to help. I would call the police, follow and hope to god help arrived. If I was in a position to help in other ways I would. Part of my problem is that even though I am 32, I move like I am 50 due to some injuries that I have suffered, having surgery on one of them soon and if everything heals correctly then I hope to be back into better shape.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey just: You have stated your case admirably and I agree with your assessment and intended actions 100%. It is nice to read a thread/reply from someone who has not decided that they, once CC, have become a hero for truth, justice and the american way.

call 911 and follow them, i've done this before, it turned out to be nothing, but i would hate to see something like this and later find out they had killed the lady, or worse....

Was driving the highway on the way home .... live some miles outside a larger city .... a car pulled over rather abruptly (quickly) and stopped , and a woman jumped out of the car and started to run. A guy quickly jumped out and grabbed her, and forced her back into the car. There were 2 men in the car... she seemed to be fighting them inside the car.

I called 911, followed them .... giving dispatcher their location. They realized at one point , or was checking it to see if I was following them. ... and , they stepped on it. I continued to follow but didn't step on it.... and they soon slowed back down to normal highway speed.

2 County Sheriff showed up and dispatcher was asking me if that was my car that they were coming up behind, and I told her "yes"... and if the black Cutlass in front of me was "the car", and I told her "yes".... and they then pulled them over....... a 3rd arrived shortly as well. They ordered them out of the car under gun point.

Long story short.... both men were armed, one in the back had been keeping a knife to her throat and she had some significant cuts on her neck, she said they had told her they were taking her out into the country to kill her ... and had pointed out some 'rifles' they had in the back of the car. In the trunk, they had two semi-auto rifles and a shotgun (all loaded) . She was badly beaten up and required an ambulance. The officers told her that the only reason they knew it was due to my call and following them ...... her last statement to me was , "thank you for saving my life".

You decide. When I made the call, I was not sure it was an abduction or ... a husb / wife arguing, but decided when I saw them fighting inside the car, a call was worth making sure. The 2 men were found guilty of numerous charges and went bye bye for a very very long time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Eagleks: GOOD JOB!!! As the dad of 4 adult daughters, if somebody ever kidnaps one of mine, I hope and pray that there is somebody like you there who doesn't look the other way.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Chaplain: You definitely do not look the other way. The problem is that there are CCers out there who not only do not look the other way but are quick to their firearm, which, IMO, is wrong, wrong, wrong, especially since you have no real idea what is going on, regardless of what you eyes see.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    there are CCers out there who not only do not look the other way but are quick to their firearm, which, IMO, is wrong, wrong, wrong, especially since you have no real idea what is going on, regardless of what you eyes see.
    I hope not. A gun is a tool, and it's the "last" tool in the tool box to be used. Now, it can get to that point quickly, but still.... it's the one that is the last resort or worse of cases.

In the situation I told you about, I think it would have been the worse way to handle it.... and resulted in dead people on the ground vs the way it did. And if I had been wrong, it would have been really ugly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I wouldn't yell or speak to the alleged abductors in any way.

I would get in my car and call 911, following the kidnappers car at a safe distance.

Do not make eye contact with the kidnapper at any time. Pretend like you are preoccupied on your cell, listening to music, looking away.

Witnessing a violent event can send your adrenaline pumping, so make sure you calm down and note down the license plate and a description of the kidnapper and the victim.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Sometimes the best thing you can do for a victom is be the best possible witness you can. I would have certainly tried burning everything into my memory, called 911 and followed them from a safe distance.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Almost makes me wish I had a dashboard camera, LOL.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

That is a real shame. I hope they find her. Have to agree with call 911 and tail them safely until help arrives.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links