Fight or Flight Poll

This is a discussion on Fight or Flight Poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another recent post got me thinking. Let's say you're eating at the counter of a restaurant like Dennys or the local pancake house. Your not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fight or Flight Poll

Fight or Flight Poll

Another recent post got me thinking.
    Let's say you're eating at the counter of a restaurant like Dennys or the local pancake house. Your not with a family member. A wacko comes in and slowly, methodically, starts shooting people. He is 5 yards away and has his back to you. It's a "can't miss" shot but the exit is a few feet away and you can make it out easily unseen. Do you leave and become the good witness or do you attempt to end the guys rampage and hopefully keep him from killing a few innocent people?

Was trying to make this a poll but somehow managed to screw that up......oh well,
    Last edited by Rotorblade; March 28th, 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I won't say other than it's a question of personal morals. We each make a decision and live with the consequences.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's semi-easy to guess what I might do without being in that situation, and my best guess is I would shoot him. How do I know he wouldn't turn at the instance my butt leaves the stool? Maybe he can see my reflection in a window, or a chrome strip running down the booth seats or something I don't think about. Then he'd be shooting me in the back. A robbery would be a different matter, but a killing spree in progress has me thinking the way I answered and I would not "cautiously" unholster my weapon either.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I would like to think that I would shoot. I do not like to think that I could stand by and let innocent/defenseless people be hurt or killed.

Shooting the guy in this case seems to me to be the right thing to do.
    I'm not a 'gung-ho' kind of guy. But you have to live with yourself too.
    If you slink away, and the nut kills another 5 or 10 people, how could you sleep at night?
    Of course, here in Jersey you'd have to go 'hands-on.' (No CCW.)
    oneshot likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

In a case like this, I can see his brains and skull frags flying all over the place. You might say it's a.......no brainer in this scenario.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    In a case like this, I can see his brains and skull frags flying all over the place. You might say it's a.......no brainer in this scenario.
    Ha ha! +1. That's exactly what I was thinking. AS THIS IS WRITTEN and with no further info to impact my decision, I drill him!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I think my prior training and lifestyle would kick in, BANG!
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ha ha! +1. That's exactly what I was thinking. AS THIS IS WRITTEN and with no further info to impact my decision, I drill him!
    + Another one. Bang!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

For me there would be no decision to make here. He's already killed and there is no question he will kill again if not stopped. I have the clear opportunity to do just that. I'm morally obligated to put him down and that is exactly what I will do. I don't have to think about this one.

Two of the primary concerns of intervention are a sufficient knowledge of the circumstances to be relatively sure that intervention is the right thing to do and secondly that no one close (family) will be put in direct jeopardy by your intervention. Neither one of those is present in this situation. If one would not act in this situation, poses the question if one would ever act in the interest of others. Some may choose not to and that is their right. That is not a path I can follow. In short, bang,bang,bang.
    oakchas, Bark'n, oneshot and 1 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

BANG
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I like the way you think glockman!

I know for a fact, armed or not, running away while some dirtbag kills a bunch of innocents is NOT in my DNA!

If my wife and kids were eating somewhere and this happened, I would hope that someone would intervene.

As long as I don't freeze up I would shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Two of the primary concerns of intervention are a sufficient knowledge of the circumstances to be relatively sure that intervention is the right thing to do and secondly that no one close (family) will be put in direct jeopardy by your intervention. Neither one of those is present in this situation. If one would not act in this situation, poses the question if one would ever act in the interest of others. Some may choose not to and that is their right. That is not a path I can follow. In short, bang,bang,bang.
    +1 add a bang or two more............
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links