Bike in the Road

Bike in the Road

This is a discussion on Bike in the Road within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few weeks ago a buddy of mine told me about something that happened to him that got me to thinking how I would have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bike in the Road

Bike in the Road

A few weeks ago a buddy of mine told me about something that happened to him that got me to thinking how I would have handled the situation.

Driving down the road with his 3 yr. old son the guy sees a bike in the middle of the road. The guy stops gets out of the car looking around to see if there are any little kids around and moves the bike off to the road. The guy gets back in his car and starts driving away. He looked back in his mirror and sees a guy wearing a hooded sweatshirt pick the bike up over his head and throw it back in the road in front of another car. The guy stops and sees that a little old lady is who was in the car had to slam on the brakes. Her friend, another little old lady starts to get out of the car to move the bike. My buddy turns around and gets out to help the lady parking on the other side of the street. My buddy moves the bike, the little old ladies thank him and drive off. Walking back to the car all of the sudden the guy that threw the bike starts yelling at him and running towards him. My buddy turns around the guy starts threatening him, as he gets within 30-40 feet the guys still yelling at him and threatens to kill him. He keeps running at him says he's going to kill him and his hands start to go behind his back. My buddy who has had training and holds a ccw put his hand up and told the guy to stop, as the guy reached the curb and threatens him again my buddy removes his hand gun from his holster and places it by his hip, and tells the guy to stop again. Just as things look to be going South fast the gangster is tackled by a girl. My buddy reholsters and gets in his car, calls 911 and reports the incident. Two hours later the police show up and interview him. After the police take the report etc., one of the officers tells him that the guy that he was threatend by is a serious pain in the backside of the officers on the PD and that he was lucky that something didn't go further. As a matter of fact the guy is a convicted felon and has threatend officers and a lawyer in the same manner.

My thought is after seeing the second incident my buddy should have just called 911 and let the cops deal with it, but you really don't think that a bike in the road in a small town is going to develop into a life threatening situation. I am sure that I have moved a bike or a kids toy out of the road more than once, after hearing this I won't.
    mconnor likes this.

It sounds like your friend handled it the best way he could have. It is easy to say I would do something "better" (and in this case, I don't think there was a "better") but until you are in the situation, it is hard to say. Stuff like this makes it tough ya know, cause I like to help my fellow man, but a lot of these "help scenarios" are just ambushes. Either way, with your child in the car it takes it to another level. If I had my 4 year old with me and a man in a hooded shirt was running at me reaching for something, I'd have drawn my weapon too. If he gets within 5-10 feet, he might get popped. Tough call.

Senior Moderator
    It sounds like the felon with the bike was looking for an accessible victim to rob or carjack or whatever. That's why he was upset that your friend messed up his ambush.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    It sounds like the felon with the bike was looking for an accessible victim to rob or carjack or whatever. That's why he was upset that your friend messed up his ambush.

Matt
    +1

Or even attempt to just start shooting at someone trying to steal his bike.

I personally would have just called 911 after I saw him throw the bike back in the middle of the street. If it's a residential street, you should normally be able to maneuver around the bike even if it's in the middle of the street.

In the case of helping the weak and elderly, I would have done the same. I am not advocating trying to be the hero, but, as humans, I think we have a moral responsibilty to help some people. Sometimes certain things may require intervention immediately.

I try and take care of the widow lady down the road from me. I think sometimes it's the right thing to do.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I probably would have gotten out to move the bike.....and gotten mugged, I'm 5'3" and female, not much of a threat for a BG. Something for me to think about in the future. If I was your friend in the scenario I would have stopped and helped the little old lady too. After the fact I probably would have pressed charges for the guy making death threats against me.

as he gets within 30-40 feet the guys still yelling at him and threatens to kill him.

Drive around, of if not possible stop and move the bike. Stop and help the elderly. You threaten to kill me and make a furtive move while charging, you won't like the results.
    Chaplain Scott and cc9mm like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

BANG! I'm going to take him at his word, I don't know him well enough to know he's full of crap!
    paullie and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I probably would have dialed 911 and pulled around to be in position to watch over the woman getting out to move the bike.
    She finds herself in danger, I've got her back.

Tend to think that there's a reason you friend didn't get jumped when it was his turn moving the bike is because the thug wanted an easier victim. Your buddy's presence nearby but not getting out likely would have been enough to again cause the perp to balk. If the thug gets angry with your buddy nearby in his car after the old lady leaves, well he's already on with 911, didn't get out to "escalate" the encounter in the eyes of an ignorant 3rd party, and if the vehicle is an "extension of his home" in your state (may not even matter), also has more support using force - or just plain running the idiot over in the process of getting away. After all, he was in fear for his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    BANG! I'm going to take him at his word, I don't know him well enough to know he's full of crap!
    This made me laugh.

I don't know, I drive a K5 i think i would have ran the bike over for fun and kept drive'n.

Distinguished Member
    I had a similar thing happen to me.

I was coming home from work ( 11:30 pm ) On the far side of the road that I was going to turn on, I saw something reflect in my headlights. As I slowed down I could tell that it was a young boy and a bike laying just on the edge of the road. There are know street lights and there is a field with tall brush right near him. I was worried that a car could hit him because he was still on the edge of the road. I also was thinking this coud be a set up. So I moved my truck to keep the lights shinning on him while I waited for some help.

The ambulance and a few more cars got there before the police. The boy ( 13 ) was not moving, his voice was like a whisper and the bike was laying right on top of him.

The police arrived and I told the officer that I was the first person to stop and if he had any more questions , where I lived ( about 1/4 up the street ).

About 40 mins. latter the officer came to my house, asked me what I saw again and if I saw any other cars. I told him no.

He then asked me, maybe the boy had wrecked because my truck scared him. I told him again that the boy was already laying there when I saw him.

Then he asked what I was driving. My truck was new then without a mark on it and the only vehicle in the driveway and he saw me leave the accident in it. He briefly looked at the truck and then asked if that was my only vehicle.

Then he said " that boy would be pretty hard to see at night wouldn't he" ? I said " I guess he would ".

Now I thinking that I am going to have to get a lawyer just because I did the right thing.

He left and told me that a detective might have some more questions for me.

About 2 weeks latter a detective called me on the phone and asked if I had seen a jeep that night. I told him no.

During that time I started asking myself alot of questions. Why was the bike laying on top of him if a car had hit him? Seems like the bike would have been one place and him another, but it looked like he layed down and then someone put a bike on top of him.

Why wasn't there any damage to the bike? I don't think a car hit him and I never found out what happened to him.

Would I stop next time, or keep driving ?

I asked the detective how the boy was and he told me that he was fine.

Two hours later the police show up and interview him.
    And that's why we carry.

Agreed

I have to agree with the previous post that ever since I made the decision to acquire my ccw permit I have thought about how I would handle a situation like this. I believe my buddy handled it about as well as could be expected. I don't like to leave the house without personal protection, it makes me uncomfortable. As I have learned through this forum, which I am grateful for, the police don't have the ability to protect you.

While my first thought wasn't "ambush," it very well could be. I've always thought it might be an interesting way to perform a carjacking or such... or rolling out a ball into the street from behind a line of street-parked cars. Just about everyone will stop, assuming a kid is not far behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links