Encounter I had with my neighbor..

This is a discussion on Encounter I had with my neighbor.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we (my wife and I) just moved to Phoenix,AZ in December, and I think this is a good "situation" for debate. We had met ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Encounter I had with my neighbor..

So we (my wife and I) just moved to Phoenix,AZ in December, and I think this is a good "situation" for debate.

We had met our neighbor a few times before, he seemed nice and around our age so you know, it was nice to meet someone in a new city. So we invited him over one day, granted it was for drinks.. i don't carry, and never considered carrying until this happened, not that it would have helped but still i don't really consider on carrying until i'm trained properly.

so we were drinking have talks, whatever, and at sometime during the night he went back to his place a couples doors down, where my wife and I had been earlier. Well, I at the time believed i may have left something there and so we went over there and knocked on the door to see if i had.

Oh i forgot to mention, he told us he was former army ranger sniper, honorably discharged from the military.

so he let us in and we discussed the item i may or may not have left in his house, and he goes to the back room for some reason, we were unclear about it at the time, but emerges with what seemed to be an assault rifle of sorts, the reason i'm unclear about it is i could tell it was a carbine but couldn't make it out really because he had his tactical light on and was screaming at us to leave the house.. so we left and went out side, he followed and my wife was just freaking out, he ordered us face down in the street.. of course i held my ground as much as i could on my knees and clearly stated to him that we were unarmed civilians and meant him no harm.

a few neighbors witnessed this going on, it was dark so their accounts were less than adequate, but enough that they called the police.

this is getting long winded i see, the end result was that he stated to police that he woke up and we were in his house, he ordered us to leave, but never drew on us.

my wife and I made different statements to the police than him, but the same and we were giving our statements separately.

the charge of trespassing is being sent to the prosecutor on us, and the charge of felony assault with a deadly weapon is being charge on him. Also to note since this incident he has had the cops at his house several times, EMT and the fire department for some reason or another, ultimately he has moved out.. for whatever reason, we do not talk to him, and we haven't since the incident occurred. (PTSD???)

SOOOOO, the real question is.. if you were carrying, would you take action at the point of where you were in the middle of the street, and your wife was screaming her eyes out and crying?
    Last edited by rstickle; March 31st, 2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Language

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    He's got me face down in the street with a rifle at my back, seems that any move I make would result in his shooting one or both of us.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

With due respect I have to think something has been omitted from this story. It's not making much sense to me.
    GoBigOrange and paullie like this.

Be more careful when picking your friends. I know, that doesn't help much and you had no way of knowing he was looney, but there had to be "something" that would have clued you in.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

So what's the 800 pound gorilla that we are not hearing about?
    Harryball likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'd check this guy out on something like publicdata.com. I know several Rangers and other SpecOps guys and none of them would do what you are describing this man did.

I doubt his story about being a former Ranger Sniper. They don't tend to brag to civilians about that. Also, there should be physical evidence to show you didn't come in uninvited and that he was also at your house earlier.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Gotta agree with the poster above, if someone has me at gunpoint, it is a little late to think about drawing my weapon. I failed a lot earlier in the situation to act properly.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Something about the whole story in the OP seems suspect to me.
    jwhite75 likes this.

VIP Member
    Yes, the story is rather bizarre but its very convincing to me. Anyway, the guy held you at gun point so it was pretty much ‘game over’ in terms of taking action at that particular point. The fact that you had been drinking doesn't help to foster support. Anyway, the likelihood of a similar situation occurring in the future is fairly remote, but that’s the whole reason we carry in the first place. By all means, learn the craft and get legal to carry.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Regardless of what happened in the house...as soon as you stepped foot off of his property while holding you at gun-point, especially if IN the street (aka...local government property), I'm pretty sure he's well outside of the legal limits.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Yeah, I'm of the mind something is amiss here. What was the "something" you thought you left at his house, and why did it take both of you to go there to retrieve it?

And as far as taking defensive action, once someone has an assault rifle leveled at you at close range , it's pretty much done deal. At that point, some verbal judo takes priority over a CW you may have.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah, I'm of the mind something is amiss here. What was the "something" you thought you left at his house, and why did it take both of you to go there to retrieve it?

And as far as taking defensive action, once someone has an assault rifle leveled at you at close range , it's pretty much done deal. At that point, some verbal judo takes priority over a CW you may have.
    i thought i had left my electronic cigarette over there and it wasn't that it was going to take both of us to retrieve it.. she's my wife, we hang out, she just came with me.

srsly, i left out some details in my original post but nothing that was important. I have a copy of the police report, they confirmed his 'claims' of being a former army ranger apparently.. but yes, it does seem like i would be leaving something but i really didn't.. i guess one thing i did leave out was in retrospect we realized that he was kind of showing signs all afternoon that he was emotionally unstable.. but it wasn't like we ever thought he was going to black out and have a PTSD moment.

i duno, it all happened quickly and for sure it's the last time i drink vodka with someone i hardly know.

the legal part though, correct once he was in the street and had us at gun point.. he was breaking the law, big time.

I havnt really read to many of these but the big question is "What was it you thought you left" Also how did it possibly end up at his house?"

Also while you were there earlier did you get into a discussion that did not sit well with him at the time? Have you been going over there for a while?

Something is deffinetly missing.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I havnt really read to many of these but the big question is "What was it you thought you left" Also how did it possibly end up at his house?"

Also while you were there earlier did you get into a discussion that did not sit well with him at the time? Have you been going over there for a while?

Something is deffinetly missing.
    read up.. i thought i left my electronic cigarette.. thing has a tendency to fall out of my pocket. woops.
    we didn't have any bad words, when we left everything was fine, and no.. it was actually the first time we had 'hung' out in that capacity.. and certainly the last.

in the days leading up to him moving out i saw a couple cop cars outside his house and a Terros van for about 4 hours.. seemed like they were interviewing him. I had to google it but "TERROS provides a wide variety of outpatient drug, alcohol and mental health services. "

it seems like it wasn't an isolated inccodent with this guy and he has long standing issues.

I have to know somebody for a LONG time before I drink anything more than a few beers with them. The fact that you were drinking at his house then yours, shows an extended drinking session. I also agree with the other posters when I think the story is lacking some details somewhere. Something like an electronic cigarette is not something I bust my hump to go get in the middle of the night.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links