Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway

This is a discussion on Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; never stop, call police and report road rage if it continued.... continue driving.What if you were being setup for a roadside robbery? Repeat... NEVER stop!! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway

never stop, call police and report road rage if it continued.... continue driving.What if you were being setup for a roadside robbery? Repeat... NEVER stop!! That was some real bad situational awareness and you and your mother are very lucky to have made it through that learning experience unscathed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't be suprised if that is the guy's full-time job, riding around looking for people he can sucker into paying out to avoid any hassel. Probably pays more than sitting on the roadside with a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised if that is the guy's full-time job, riding around looking for people he can sucker into paying out to avoid any hassel. Probably pays more than sitting on the roadside with a sign.
    That would explain the shoebox full of cash in the back.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

DO NOT STOP FOR A STRANGER WHO IS TRYING TO FLAG YOU DOWN ON THE HIWAY REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!!

No one legitimately is going to do that. Who in the world today does not have a cell phone to call someone if they have a problem??? If they don't and you go by don't stop-- call for help and go on. An officer will be there shortly and it is not a life and death situation. You put your mother in danger doing that. You were lucky.

sgb
    In life what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I hope you learned a lesson in this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    yep--these situations can just come at you out of the blue --any time, any where---as to your outfit--Crossbreed holsters make a kydex holster that is entirely backed with velcro and then they supply the other side as well--super-sticky, you can mount it just about anywhere--here is what I've done with my F-350........Attachment 24214
    I feel bad for the man that tries to break your windshield in!
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. Haven't heard from the insurance company, so I'm sure he hasn't tried to get it fixed. If they do call, I'm definitely going to tell them not to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    In life what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I hope you learned a lesson in this.
    Yup. A very good one. My instinct was to go around him, but the nice guy part of me said stop. Never again. lol. Also, I now keep my .40 in a nylon holster wedged in the seats beside me. It's just temporary though until I can get one of those nifty crossbreed holsters with the velcro. Any other vehicle it's in the center console.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Add me to those who think he was trying to get you to hand him some cash to avoid official trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My method of handling would have been quite different. When he pulled in front of me and slammed on his brakes I would have swung around him and driven away, while having mom call the police. I'm not stopping for anyone on the highway except for the police.
    DITTO!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    You know, by nature I'm a Good Sam.
    By nature I don't stop.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    SPIDEY2011: Welcome to the forum from another Big Sky/Treasure State resident. Glad it didn't go south---these days you just never know. I agree w/ tkruf--I would not have given him ANY info. Second, I would have dialed 911 anyway and at least told the dispatch about the incident and that there was something "off" about the guy. Third, I assume you know this, but you do NOT need a permit to carry in your outfit (aka vehicle for you folks outside of MT ). It can be hidden away or in plain sight, whatever you prefer, but MT does NOT have any laws regulating weapons in vehicles........
    I wouldn't have given him any information either. As a matter of fact, I probably would not have stopped in this day & age; (unless I thought some mud off my truck may have actually caused the breakage).

Either way, I'm most likely going to call 911 to report the incident.

I hope everything works out ok. I have had something similer happen. I tried to do the right thing and ended up in court for leaving the scene of an accident. (this qualifies as an accident) I was sued for damages for which I am CERTAIN I was NOT responsible; and I lost!

Reporting instances like this to the authorities may not always turn out in your favor. But IMHO, it's still the best path to take. In this case, I probably would have told the man I'll call 911 for him.

I hate to say it; but I think you just got scammed. This guy had a broken window and saw your "muddy" truck as an opportunity to get it fixed for FREE. Some people will do this type of thing and you gave this guy all he needed to do just that. (I hope your insurance rates do not go up just because you tried to be a good guy.)

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would never stop in such a scenario. Therefore, I would have gone around him, speed off and called the cops on him. These days, you don't know what kind of psychos you can encounter (especially on the side of a major highway) so it is better not to take the risk. I'm glad everything turned out fine though!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I think you handled the situation correctly and it wouldnt have mattered if you had a gun on you or not it doesnt seem like it got close enough to have to think about using it. I would have pulled it on him only if he attempted to grab at my mom or me. Glad you were able to go about your business and everything was ok

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I wouldn't have given him any information either. As a matter of fact, I probably would not have stopped in this day & age; (unless I thought some mud off my truck may have actually caused the breakage).

Either way, I'm most likely going to call 911 to report the incident.

I hope everything works out ok. I have had something similer happen. I tried to do the right thing and ended up in court for leaving the scene of an accident. (this qualifies as an accident) I was sued for damages for which I am CERTAIN I was NOT responsible; and I lost!

Reporting instances like this to the authorities may not always turn out in your favor. But IMHO, it's still the best path to take. In this case, I probably would have told the man I'll call 911 for him.

I hate to say it; but I think you just got scammed. This guy had a broken window and saw your "muddy" truck as an opportunity to get it fixed for FREE. Some people will do this type of thing and you gave this guy all he needed to do just that. (I hope your insurance rates do not go up just because you tried to be a good guy.)
    If he does try to fix it, I'm sure the insurance company will call me to confirm it, at which point I'll tell them that I don't believe it really happened. I also recently found out that insurance companies in MT don't cover windows/windshield damage in a situation like this, so I'm 99% sure they won't fix it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
    I think you handled the situation correctly and it wouldnt have mattered if you had a gun on you or not it doesnt seem like it got close enough to have to think about using it. I would have pulled it on him only if he attempted to grab at my mom or me. Glad you were able to go about your business and everything was ok
    There was a point that I thought it was going to become violent, and I believe the only reason it didn't was because I told him I'd call the cops for him, and meant it. He knew that since he didn't have insurance, he would more than likely be spending a couple nights in the county jail. As it was, there was no need to draw if I had been carrying, but I sure as heck would've felt a little better knowing I had it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    never stop, call police and report road rage if it continued.... continue driving.What if you were being setup for a roadside robbery? Repeat... NEVER stop!! That was some real bad situational awareness and you and your mother are very lucky to have made it through that learning experience unscathed.
    This ^. Live and learn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links