Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway - Page 3

Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway

This is a discussion on Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you say "don't you have comprehensive breakage on your auto insurance???" Almost everyone dose, and that means there is no deductible on side windows ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 35 of 35
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Incident with a crazy guy on the side of the highway

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,286
    So you say "don't you have comprehensive breakage on your auto insurance???" Almost everyone dose, and that means there is no deductible on side windows breakage. If there is any the guy doing the repair can bypass it for you......

    Worst case scenario is usually a $50. deductable...

    Your truck could have kicked up a rock from the road, if I had a buck for every rock I have caught while passing a semi, bottom line if so you did not do it on purpose, there is no malace involved......

    So was it his drivers side or passenger side window, you didn't say.... We are assuming passenger but if not how did it happen on the other side...

    Also there is such a thing as heat stress breakage, temped glass will shatter into thousands of pieces often staying in the frame, and you will hear a bang when it happens....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century


  2. #32
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    So you say "don't you have comprehensive breakage on your auto insurance???" Almost everyone dose, and that means there is no deductible on side windows breakage. If there is any the guy doing the repair can bypass it for you......

    Worst case scenario is usually a $50. deductable...

    Your truck could have kicked up a rock from the road, if I had a buck for every rock I have caught while passing a semi, bottom line if so you did not do it on purpose, there is no malace involved......

    So was it his drivers side or passenger side window, you didn't say.... We are assuming passenger but if not how did it happen on the other side...

    Also there is such a thing as heat stress breakage, temped glass will shatter into thousands of pieces often staying in the frame, and you will hear a bang when it happens....
    Actually, I believe insurance companies are not legally allowed to cover windshield/window breakage in MT. Probably due to all the state vehicles that put a new crack in my windshield every week. lol. I've never complained about it, it's just part of being in MT. Gotta take the bad with the good, right?

    It was the passenger side window, but I just don't buy it. I've seen and heard glass shattered and it doesn't land in a nice neat pile below the window. It sprays all over the inside of the vehicle and is actually quite loud. I was cruising about 55mph with my window down, so I would've heard something had it actually happened. Still nothing from the insurance, so I'm guessing the guy was just pulling a scam expecting people to give him cash.

  3. #33
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Actually, I believe insurance companies are not legally allowed to cover windshield/window breakage in MT. Probably due to all the state vehicles that put a new crack in my windshield every week. lol. I've never complained about it, it's just part of being in MT. Gotta take the bad with the good, right?

    It was the passenger side window, but I just don't buy it. I've seen and heard glass shattered and it doesn't land in a nice neat pile below the window. It sprays all over the inside of the vehicle and is actually quite loud. I was cruising about 55mph with my window down, so I would've heard something had it actually happened. Still nothing from the insurance, so I'm guessing the guy was just pulling a scam expecting people to give him cash.
    I totally agree that unless this guy had time to stop and brush all the glass into a nice little pile, so he cna show you the damage there is no way this just happened like he claimed. However I don't kow about the fact that you think you would have heard the impact. If your driving 55 mph and he's going the other way at 55 mph it's possible that the rock or mud could have been 20 feet behind you when it hit his window and the wind noise at 55 may have hid the impact sound. Still the fact that the glass wasn't scattered all over the inside makes it pretty clear it didn't just happen.
    Your lucky that you were clear headed enough to realize this. As you say it's possible this guy pulls this scam all the time and many people would be intimidated enough to not question the visual facts. He probably makes out pretty good with this scam.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I totally agree that unless this guy had time to stop and brush all the glass into a nice little pile, so he cna show you the damage there is no way this just happened like he claimed. However I don't kow about the fact that you think you would have heard the impact. If your driving 55 mph and he's going the other way at 55 mph it's possible that the rock or mud could have been 20 feet behind you when it hit his window and the wind noise at 55 may have hid the impact sound. Still the fact that the glass wasn't scattered all over the inside makes it pretty clear it didn't just happen.
    Your lucky that you were clear headed enough to realize this. As you say it's possible this guy pulls this scam all the time and many people would be intimidated enough to not question the visual facts. He probably makes out pretty good with this scam.
    He was passing me on a 2 lane highway going the same direction as me. He would've had to be about 5-10 feet behind my rear tire for it to have actually hit the window that was broken. It was the rear passenger window, so his front end would've been about at the tire. I've had things come out of that pickup before going the same speeds, and I heard them bounce down the road behind me, so I'm fairly confident that I would've heard his window shatter.

    I'm actually very calm and observant in situations like that. Always have been.

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    He was passing me on a 2 lane highway going the same direction as me. He would've had to be about 5-10 feet behind my rear tire for it to have actually hit the window that was broken. It was the rear passenger window, so his front end would've been about at the tire. I've had things come out of that pickup before going the same speeds, and I heard them bounce down the road behind me, so I'm fairly confident that I would've heard his window shatter.

    I'm actually very calm and observant in situations like that. Always have been.
    At which point I would flat out asked him when he had swept the shards into a nice neat pile........
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

crazy guy in lansing
,
crazy guy in montana
,
crazy highway we dealing with everyday
,
defensive carry incidents
,
highway 43 wisconsin national guard incident
,

montana cwp experience

,
robbery setups roadside
Click on a term to search for related topics.