What Would You Do? Waffle House Robbery

This is a discussion on What Would You Do? Waffle House Robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that if I felt it was safe, I would quietly, unobtrusivley unholster, take the safety off and keep my .45 under the table ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What Would You Do? Waffle House Robbery

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think that if I felt it was safe, I would quietly, unobtrusivley unholster, take the safety off and keep my .45 under the table or out of easy sight--and keep my head on a swivel--but simultaneously try not to stand out as a target, and be a good wittness.

However, if he demonstrates intent to harm rather than intimidate, or starts going from table to table to rob/threaten individual patrons (meaning my family) this brings another set of decisions into play, do I engage when he is distracted, or cover my gun with a napkin and give him my wallet.......tough call--do I risk a gun fight--with potential dead bodies other than the BG or give up the wallet in the HOPE that all he will do is take my wallet?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    another reason not to eat at the waffel house
    Stay away from stupid places. The Waffle House qualifies as a stupid place in my book.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I would sit quietly unless I had the stone cold drop on the guy. Or until I thought he was going to kill someone.
    Ditto. The robbery of an establishment which does not appear to involve somebody getting hurt is not something I would play Batman over.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    He would have gotten my attention, depends on if he only wants house money or something from me. Also if he starts shooting people would put a whole new light on things.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Same response as others have stated. In Virginia, if he is clearly using the gun for intimidation purposes, or at least likely that a LEO/judge/jury would think so, pulling and using my handgun to force him to drop his weapon and leave (i.e., stop robbing the joint) might end up with me in the joint. So, I'd likely pull it quietly and watch closely. Even if he comes up to rob me, unless I have legitimate reason to fear for my life, or that of who I'm with (or anyone else for that matter), if he goes from table to table to rob me then I believe the law dictates that I cannot brandish the firearm. So, I have to hand-over my wallet and grrr...all the way. If he shoots more than the first warning shot, or looks like he's going to harm someone, than I'd try to put 2-3 in center of exposed mass. In the end, if I draw he'd better end up dead, so his/her lawyer cannot cross-examine me noting that the gun was clearly not being used but to intimidate and I was the gun-crazy. If he/she is dead, it seems likely that the patrons of the establishment would back my story. But you never know. At least in Virginia, life always outweighs loss of property, and brandishing is no allowed, so the gun might as well materialize in my hand the moment their is a mortal threat. Otherwise, it might as well not be there.

Last time I had a waffle there, it had a texture similar to Captain Americas shield, so I would feel pretty safe as it would probably stop a bullet.

But in all reality, I would try to keep eating, not make eye contact, let him get his money and go. Be a good witness, call police, and then go to nearest store to get something for indigestion.
    JGreene likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Last time I had a waffle there, it had a texture similar to Captain Americas shield, so I would feel pretty safe as it would probably stop a bullet.

But in all reality, I would try to keep eating, not make eye contact, let him get his money and go. Be a good witness, call police, and then go to nearest store to get something for indigestion.
    And this is from a LEO. Now if an off-duty LEO would do the above, then the rest of us should consider it sound advice.

I agree with you 100%.
    One more step and it's on!

If the Waffle House grease doesn't get ya ...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't eat in a Waffle House as long as they're serving food. Really, how hungry does one have to be to eat there? Maybe if they offered decent food they'd have a better class of "visitors." I'll stick to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I used to have an off duty gig at waffle house years ago. It was about as easy as being a road house cooler. The people leaving the clubs and going there to eat are already juiced up and rowdy. Sometimes ya gotta have a heavy hand. I didn't stay there long.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well, this happened to my roommates uncle in Louisiana about a year ago. He was eating at a huddle house, when an armed robber stormed in and looted the place. Her uncle wasn't armed, and laid low during the robbery. When the armed robber saw him and thought he looked like someone who might have a little cash on him, he shot, killed him, and took his wallet. Later, he was caught.

If I am eating somewhere and someone storms in to rob the place, I am going to assume that I am a target. I will do anything necessary to prevent what happened to the unfortunate man stated above from happening to me. I would make sure I had a clear shot, and drop the armed robber on the spot. The above incident is one of the reasons that I started carrying in the first place.

Edit: For everyone that stated "if he started shooting, then I might... ect. ect." Well... He might start shooting. You might just be the target of the first shot. Then what? You're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    And this is from a LEO. Now if an off-duty LEO would do the above, then the rest of us should consider it sound advice.
    Dont get me wrong, I would want to act, and have a duty to do so. However, the safety of everone else in there takes priority. Now, if I see or have reason to believe he will hurt or kill someone if I don't act, the top of his damn heads coming off. But sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.:)
    Naufragia and jace33 like this.

I use to eat in the local Waffle House on occasion until I started carrying a couple of years ago. Since they are posted and signs do have the force of law here in Ohio, I no longer frequent that place. A whole lot better for my health on two accounts (1). I avoid a free fire zone for bad guys (2). I avoid raising my cholesterol by not eating their sausage, bacon, and ham.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Dont get me wrong, I would want to act, and have a duty to do so. However, the safety of everone else in there takes priority. Now, if I see or have reason to believe he will hurt or kill someone if I don't act, the top of his damn heads coming off. But sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.:)
    I took your earlier comment only as a rational response to the scenario. Here you are, armed and duty bound, yet still not necessarily going to go into Batman mode. And my point was meant to essentially be "look, if this guy is not going to launch into Batman mode, when he already has several more reasons than we do to, then why in the heck should we think we ought to absent some compelling reason?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links