Simunution training today

This is a discussion on Simunution training today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did simunition training today with my police academy and I wanted to bring couple things I learned today to share with you guys Scenario ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TN_Mike

Thread: Simunution training today

I did simunition training today with my police academy and I wanted to bring couple things I learned today to share with you guys

Scenario - Respond to alarm

We entered the apartment with my partner and did the usual room clearing.
    We finally got to our point where the bad guy was...

he was hiding behind a door and the second we saw him we told him to come out with his hands up. as he pushed the door open we saw the gun in his hand and yelled GUN. we're at this point already had our pistols (G17) at low ready (they were the whole time throughout the scenario) so by the time he tried to bring his pistol up to us, I put 3 rounds, and my partner put 2 rounds.

this happened at about maybe 3-4 yards, very very short distance. We didn't use our sights and just pulled the trigger pretty much with the concept of 'whoever gets the 1st round off'

Now I'm a good shot and I'm proud of it, when I have time to aim, I usually do an awesome job, but with the quick shooting, adrenaline pumping, out of the 3 shots I shot him with, I hit 3 (2 in the arm, and one chest)

I just wanted to share this to show no matter how good you think you are, at very close distances when the **** hits the hand, training goes out the window, and muscle memory kicks in. so you should train extra to convert that training into muscle memory. things happen fast. VERY fast.

we were fast enough that we were able to out do his weapon raise and shot him, but I was shocked how my 'tight grouping, awesome shooting' self missed 2 of the shots and hit him in the arm....

another thing I realized is that on the 3rd shot the BG yelled 'OK OK, STOP' but if he hadn't I would have unloaded the whole magazine on him until he fell down. If I had a .45, that would have been ~10 rounds. with a 9mm, that would have been hell of alot more. if not I would have had extra rounds left... you can take this either way. I think 4-5 rounds will knock someone down bigtime. .45 or 9

I also realized how important a reliable weapon can be. in a shootout like that, it's shoot or be shot. a single jam, I would have been dead...

so my pointers:

• High adrenaline situations, you don't use sights, and don't be surprised if you miss at 3 yards. you barely point, let alone aim.
    • Don't do the double tap, 1 head thing. shoot the SOB until he falls to the ground
    • How much does caliber matter? 6 rounds of .45 vs 6 rounds of 9? I don't think anyone will be standing after 3-4 rounds to your chest. with a .45 you'll have couple rounds left, with a 9, you might still have 2/3 of your mag. Tactical/Combat reload can be real handy here.
    • Make sure whatever you use is the most reliable pistol you own. things go down in seconds, shoot or be shot. a single jam, you will loose the gunfight. no time for magchange or tap&rack in the middle of the 3-4 second firefight.

I hope you guys enjoyed this post and maybe picked up a couple of things from it. I'll rethink what I carry, how I carry it and the caliber. along with what kind of mental state I need to be in when I get in a shootout.

I'll also be going to the range and doing alot of practice from now on without sights, go to shooting position from holster or low ready. improve my point shooting... no time to aim. I think it's an essential skill that you need to have.

Let me also add that I'm an infantryman, and I've done these shoothouses with rifles before and it's much accurate. never missed and hit an arm before.

You would be surprised how many rounds a drugged out adrenaline high perp can take before they go down.

start shooting, one of them will hopefully hit his CNS and his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You would be surprised how many rounds a drugged out adrenaline high perp can take before they go down.
    As Clint Smith says, "It's not enough to shoot them until you think they are dead, you have to shoot them until they think they are dead!"
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

One reason is when the gun is in his hand that is what gets your attention and you tend to shoot where you look,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Right. This is why in my own training, I'm a big believer in repetition.

This is more complex than you might think. There's good training and bad training. The good type has you practicing to deal with the unexpected, the bad sort involves set drills. There's a place for both, sure, but the key skill is learning how to flow with an ongoing situation. You can't practice for any possible situation, but you can practice reacting to situations.

Adrenaline can be your enemy or your friend.

It's usually your enemy. As human beings, we have evolved in such a manner as it has been found advantageous for your body to generate a massive adrenaline dump in a life-threatening situation. Statistically, it's helps you survive. You're scrabbling, gasping, scrambling, impervious to pain and focused totally on escape. Usually works.

For the gunfighter, it's not that helpful. Adrenaline does not help you to be deliberate, calm, cool and smooth. So it really does help to train through adrenaline so that you are able to execute under its influence.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Sims training will change everything you think you know about your own abilities. It's hard for a civilian to get in on, but if you can I highly encourage it.

joe

Cool

Thanks for your post and your military service.

My department carries the Glock 21 so it would have been 14 rounds of .45 ACP. I like lots of big bullets. That said most agencies in your area are carrying .40 S&W and some allow your choice of 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Only the hits count anyway right.

More BG's are wearing body armor so don't forget to take a couple of those multiple shots up top (head) or in the pelvic girdle (below the waist) just in case you are dealing with one of those.

Simunitions definately brings out where you need improvement. Force on force is a great training tool. Enjoy your academy time and learn as much as you can.

Just like getting out of basic you will be welcomed to the real world by your brothers and sisters in arms where your true practical training will begin. Stay safe. Keep that warrior mentality.

OS

Big bullet launcher......

photo.jpg

Click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Old School; April 8th, 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links